PDA

View Full Version : Small, right-angle gearboxes. ITS LIKE THEY DON'T EXIST!!!!

cloudcitycollective
03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
So I'm planning on building a simple, rail-mounted friction follow focus, loosely based on Ikan's version.

The problem is, I cannot find the Huco right angle gearbox that they use for sale ANYWHERE. I found it on Amazon and ordered it, only to hear back from them the next day to say it was sold out.

I'm baffled, you would think that finding a small, right angle gearbox would not be THIS hard, but it's almost like they don't exist?!?!

I'm going a little crazy, has anyone else been looking for the same thing?!?!
:Drogar-Mad(DBG)::Drogar-Mad(DBG)::Drogar-Mad(DBG)::Drogar-Mad(DBG):

abbac2
03-08-2011, 05:09 AM
https://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=090SPEC&MPN=332.31.3

They they don't stock them so there is a lead time(about 8-10 days). You can request lead time on the product page.

cloudcitycollective
03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks, did you get one, how does it work? What's the backlash like?

treynolds
03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Do a search, there is a thread in this DIY section about making an ikan style follow focus. They have info about two or three different models similar to that and with links to places that you can purchase from both state side and in europe

cloudcitycollective
03-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks trey, that thread was actually my initial inspiration for this project, but didnt have luck getting the gearbox from any of those places until now.

I ended up ordering 3 from Alliedelec.com, just need to find the exact wheel and hub sizes now...

treynolds
03-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks trey, that thread was actually my initial inspiration for this project, but didnt have luck getting the gearbox from any of those places until now.

I ended up ordering 3 from Alliedelec.com, just need to find the exact wheel and hub sizes now...

Nice work. Could you post a link and how much were they?

I need to make a geared follow focus rather than a fiction because my lenses are usually pretty heavy to turn with a friction wheel.

abbac2
03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks, did you get one, how does it work? What's the backlash like?

No, I didn't get one. So can't say what the backlash is like.

scottmd80
03-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Here is the Huco website: http://www.huco.com/products.asp?lang=_us&cat=297
The specifications list: " 1:1 ratio and a maximum backlash of 2 "

WideScreenWiz
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Yes, here in Australia too it's almost impossible to get hold of a Huco gearbox. They must be very precious to Huco who don't seem to want to let go of them.

I don't know if this would fit the bill, but it looks as if it might:

http://torquetrans.com/right-angle-gear-boxes/miniature-right-angle-drive.htm

From the chart, probably the RA202-1 would do the job? I'd be interested to know if anyone uses this and it works.

Then again, now that you can get a D|Focus follow focus for $139 plus gears, the need to DIY is less of an issue. Anyone know if these are any good?

twocik23
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
The backlash is 2 - 3 degrees. In my testing that's about .002 .0031" out. My opinion they're worth $25 - $30 bucks but that's it not a penny more. My next project is to make a small precision gearbox with very little backlash, maybe even some sort of adjustment.

Inprogress
10-25-2011, 06:37 AM
If memory serves me right, find a stuffed mini angle grinder....it will probably be crude depending on the grinder design, but it should work if you are on a tight budget.

Just in case it called something else in the rest of the world, by mini angle grinder I mean this:

Attic6
11-21-2011, 06:48 AM
The HUCO's are terrible out the box, but if you squeeze the aluminuim tube bit in towards the gearbox it makes them as close to perfect as anything else. just push each side in about half a mm. no slack / backlash at all. i'm not sure if they will slide out again but mine is WAY better now.
Rad