PDA

View Full Version : Titicut Follies

Jim Brennan
04-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Anybody know where I can get a copy of this. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know that it was banned from distribution until 1991, but the only place I can find a copy is University Libraries. Those copies are for "local use only"

This is a truly historical documentary, and I would really like to get a copy.

Isaac_Brody
04-02-2005, 05:13 PM
You can get a copy directly from Frederick Wiseman's company Zipporah films.

http://www.zipporah.com/

Unfortunately, the price is ridiculously expensive at $500 bucks. The cost to rent it is still pretty hefty at $250. If you can find a library nearby that has it that's probably your best bet.

Great film.

Jim Brennan
04-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Yea, found it on his site. I don't want to see it that bad. So far I can't find any libraries that will check it out. I've checked everyone in the state of Colorado (that I know of, anyway) A few allow their professors to view it, or show it in class, but that's it. But, I'll keep looking.

academygirl
06-03-2005, 01:23 AM
Anyone still interested in Titicut Follies can contact me at mjconniff@aol.com. I might be able to help.....Zipporah Films has held a very tight rein on this film, and it is almost impossible to find a copy, but let's chat. :engel017:

Jim Brennan
06-03-2005, 12:28 PM
I actually got an interlibrary loan through the Denver Public Library. I think the source library was Virginia Tech, but I'm not sure.

Excellent film. I was impressed with the overall quality of the imagery. I expected it to look more amateurish.

pmark23
06-05-2005, 08:03 PM
I wrote a paper on that film, and because of the stupid restrictions (in-library use only, no copying), I had to smuggle a 8mm camcorder into the University library, and sneakily film from the portable projector booth.

Since I was doing a frame-by-frame analysis, I would have had to spend several days in the library, plus I wouldn't have been able to capture stills for the paper (which was then done only on an Amiga.)

Sirius_Doggy
06-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Since I was doing a frame-by-frame analysis,
Frame-by-frame analysis.... Man that must have taken awhile:grin::grin:
84minutes runtime = 5040 seconds x 24 frames/sec = 120,960 individual frames to analyize......:evil:

pmark23
06-06-2005, 08:17 PM
It wasn't every single frame in the movie, but of certain scenes -- but yeah, it took a while. :-)

Sirius_Doggy
06-06-2005, 09:55 PM
I kinda figured that. I was just joking.

Jim Brennan
06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey, there's no joking allowed here. That's for the Cafe.

jgurden
06-10-2005, 08:17 AM
I wrote a paper on that movie back in Uni (in the UK) - amazing piece of filmmaking! Utterly compelling...
The BFI (British film institute) holds copies of it on VHS (and may even have updated it to DVD) and might be worth checking out bfi.orh.uk and firing off an email. Of course I realise that it'll be PAL but that's one step closer, and if they've transfered to DVD you're laughing!
J

alexdias
06-23-2005, 12:53 PM
I've heard Wiseman in San Francisco 2 weeks ago saying all his movies (more than 30) will be release in DVD to the public, I imagine at reasonable prices, later this year.

He also said that he never received any decent offer of distribution for his movies!!!

This is THE MAN!
His movies are THE most important piece of Documentary Filmmaking in Americain the past 40 years.
I hope the DVDs will be available soon so this new generation of Documentarians can be fully exposed to his breathtaking simple and straight and eficient technique of filmmaking.

Frederick Wiseman is one of the most important American Filmmakers still working.

Keep your eyes open.