PDA

View Full Version : Color Correction

Vettcross
02-09-2011, 06:06 AM
I am editing my first short film, My question pertains to color correction.
The project is being edited in Prem Pro CS5. I am famliar with the mechanics of using the color correction tools. What I really need to know is - what is the process for keeping a standard color look or signature throughout the entire film. There are several different interior sets used along with exterior. Is there a formula or process for this or is it just done by sight?

THX,
C

PerroneFord
02-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Ideally, it's done by shooting a calibrated target during production. If that wasn't done, then you've got your work cut out for you.

Vettcross
02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Ideally, it's done by shooting a calibrated target during production. If that wasn't done, then you've got your work cut out for you.
Ouch- That wasn't done. So I guess I just go visually?

By your method though I assume that you use that "calibrated target" to adjust white balance in post?

Thanks much Perrone for your response.

Joe Calabrese
02-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I just color correct the first clip of each scene by playing around with the settings. Once I get a look I like for that one shot, I copy and paste it to all the other clips in that scene, and make minor adjustments until they all look consistent.

Vettcross
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestion- makes sense

yoclay
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
You probably want to have your blacks balanced out to something consistent, not just the whites. This is a big part of obtaining consistency through Color Correction. Beyond that Grading is the process of stylizing your look, and that can go in any direction you would like.

tildenm
02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
What I did for my most recent was to get a X-Rite ColorChecker Passport and for every setup shoot it right after clapping. It is cool because it has white, grey, and a bunch of colors to really lock in "correct color" before grading. Really great way to do it.

Since you didn't shoot a standard target, try to choose something that is present in every shot (like a white shirt the actor wears or a prop that is in all the shots, etc) and adjust to both that and skin tone to get the right levels and balance, then get artistic after that.

yoclay
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Spyder Cube - very convenient. Something for the next time...