PDA

View Full Version : Needing backup body - another 7D or a 60D?

stcraw4d
02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm shooting a lot of videos which require a two camera setup. I've been borrowing a buddy's 7D to match with mine, but I don't want to keep borrowing, so I may need to pull the trigger on another body. Is there any reason to pay the extra ~500 for a 7D, or should I just get the 60D? It'd be the second camera, probably, but if the quality is the same, there's no reason they can't be interchangeable.

It's not a lowlight shoot, and I very rarely do lowlight shoots.

I also do photography, so if that enters into the decision, please tell me.

I can afford the 7D if I had to, but I don't want to pay it just to pay it, if the 60D would be a great choice.

pulpfiction007
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I think you should just get the 60D, it actually has some good features of it's own to offer for video...for photos it should be a good back-up to the 7D, like a D90 is a good back-up to a D300s. IMO an extra 7D would be a bit of overkill. The image quality from both should be roughly equal, the 7D's extra cost mainly goes for the excellent build, dual processors, lay-out, and pure speed. You might like the 60D for quick stuff - with the lighter body, manual audio levels, and articulating screen- it could be a nice grab and go option.

ROCKMORE
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm shooting a lot of videos which require a two camera setup. I've been borrowing a buddy's 7D to match with mine, but I don't want to keep borrowing, so I may need to pull the trigger on another body. Is there any reason to pay the extra ~500 for a 7D, or should I just get the 60D? It'd be the second camera, probably, but if the quality is the same, there's no reason they can't be interchangeable.

It's not a lowlight shoot, and I very rarely do lowlight shoots.

I also do photography, so if that enters into the decision, please tell me.

I can afford the 7D if I had to, but I don't want to pay it just to pay it, if the 60D would be a great choice.

I shot with the 5D, 7D, and 550D for 10 months, now shooting with the 60D. The 7D overheated more because the view screen built up a lot of heat. The 60D doesn't seem to have as much trouble with heating taking the screen away from the body. All the Canons produce about the same HD resolution so it's a matter of cost and controls. The 60D is a good value and has a few more features left out of the 7D. The 60D is amazing for such a low cost camera.

Gary Huff
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Go for the 60D...it's cheaper with an identical picture.

Jewlz the director
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
hmmm,makes me wonder.....do i want to add a second camera to my arsenal?? wow just when i thought i could relax and stay away from B&H for a momentand save some money...POWWW..here comes the 60D lol!!