PDA

View Full Version : GH2 vs 5Dmkii on raw dynamic range???

Jenga
01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Has anyone done a well balanced and matched straight up latitude/dynamic range test between a GH2 and a 5Dmkii w/ contrasty highlights that would show roll off etc? I have not been able to find a single decent one and I've been doing a lot of looking. I'd like to know once and for all where they stand?

As far as I can tell from unmatched footage shot under similar conditions, it appears the mark ii wins w/ it's larger photosites and sensor even if it is much older tech.

I would love to be proven wrong (in that they are at least equal under equal conditions and w/ as equalized settings as possible). Can anyone show this?

Thank you for your time!

Jon

stonebat
01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
DR seems directly related to a sensor size. Of course 5Dii wins hands down.

dustylense
01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
yep, more DR for all that rainbow moire to show up. I have both. Haven't really side by sided them because I'm way happier filming with the gh2 at the moment. But my work is 70% still photography where the 5dmk2 is the tool.

Cosimo Bullo
01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I think the larger chip helps with sensitivity for sure, but dynamic range is another story. There are plenty of cameras with much smaller chips than either the GH2 or 5d that beat it in dynamic range: F23, Genesis, Viper, to name a few. We're finding the 5d and GH2 have similar (good!) DR, especially when the GH2 in in cinema mode.

mikecazzx
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Uhhh, but neither uses the whole sensor, so if you have specifics, please post them.

mikecazzx
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
yep, more DR for all that rainbow moire to show up. I have both. Haven't really side by sided them because I'm way happier filming with the gh2 at the moment. But my work is 70% still photography where the 5dmk2 is the tool. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to compare shots between the 5d and GH1 or 2 for photos - of course matching up the crop factor.

Svart
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
not to be cynical, but does it matter? I read these posts all the time in the forum but they always end up with the same results, somebody points to a test or has some claims and then everyone just throws opinions out for pages and pages.

But does it really matter?

Professional productions do as much as they can to LIMIT the DR that the camera has to deal with.

lighting
scrims
gobos
flags
bounces
nets

The use all these tools to light areas that are dark or darken areas that are too light. That all compresses the dynamic range into something very manageable.

Usually what most folks who ask this question are *really* interested in is how the lights and darks roll off...

Danielvilliers
01-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Completely false assessment, look at dynamic range test by dxomark. The current king at 14+ stop is the Pentax K5 sony sensor closely followed by the D7000 with the same Sony sensor. They have both 2 stops more dynamic range than the 5d. They are 2 years younger also. If Sony put the same tech in a full frame sensor (The nikon full frame sony sensor D3X is third) then it might be better. So there are many more variables than only sensor size to say one is better than the other.

stonebat
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
See http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/954039/1#9024577

stonebat
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
If GH1/2 has DR matching to 5Dii, why some of us do this?

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?234150-and-once-more-SMOOTH-vs-CINEMA&p=2222339&viewfull=1#post2222339

BTW I like his method.

Stefanos
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
guys,

stonebat didn't say that sensor is the only factor that determines DR so don't just say it's a false statement. I think most agree that sensor size and quality is an important factor. And i think the 5d has a very good sensor generally but extremely outdated processing. i've used the 5d extensively and despite all its shortcomings, it's DR combined with the ability to insert and tweak you picture profile , make DR one of it's strong points. so it probably has like a 1 stop more useful DR than gh1/2 , but so what? 99% of people will never notice the difference unless you shoot with the vivid setting and dial the contrast up in the gh1/2. just shoot sensibly with the gh2 and you'll be happy, and if you really want the appearance of more DR and not to crush your shadows etc, soften your light, use negative fill, fill lights etc. Svart makes a very good point too. My gh2 should arrive in a few days and i doubt i'm never going back to 5d. I'd still love to see a comprehensive test between the 2 cams mainly to see how they handle highlights etc...

stonebat
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
We just need to learn more about GH2's behavior and find out practical solutions to mitigate concerns like DR as Mark Crabtree is doing. Comparing GH2 with 5D mark ii... doesn't really do any good.

Stefanos
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
agreed. there no point someone buying the 5d over the gh2 because of DR difference, let's just focus on getting the most out of our GH2

roei z
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I think the larger chip helps with sensitivity for sure, but dynamic range is another story. There are plenty of cameras with much smaller chips than either the GH2 or 5d that beat it in dynamic range: F23, Genesis, Viper, to name a few. We're finding the 5d and GH2 have similar (good!) DR, especially when the GH2 in in cinema mode.

i thought that people tend to claim nostalgic as most DR friendly..

Ian-T
01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I think a comparison between those cams makes a lot of sense. if I were going to be shooting with both I would want to know how they handle and match up.

By the way stonebat, that poster you linked to earlier stated that the DR in the D7000 was better than the 5Dll at lower ISO's and the opposite is true at higher ISOs.

Ian-T
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
i thought that people tend to claim nostalgic as most DR friendly..
I don't think any of them are different IMO. Cinema records too dark so you have to shoot to the right of the histogram where Nostalgic blows out the hi's where you have to shoot more to the left. In the end the range is all the same....IMO.

stip
01-21-2011, 05:20 PM
In the end the range is all the same....IMO.
I think you are right, at least that's what I experienced as well.

roei z
01-22-2011, 02:32 AM
from the other thread:

Nostalgic does add a warm cast, but . . . I feel the GH1 and GH2 both compress the shadows. Nostalgic lifts them. The GH series records more like ektachrome than negative so the cameras need all the shadow detail they can get. Damn the yellow cast, bring out the shadow detail. Nostalgic isn't perfect, but it gives the most detail from highlight to shadow.

this my not be real higher dynamic range but keeping shadow/highlight info is part of what we need. isn't it ?

Rocky
01-22-2011, 06:51 AM
http://nofilmschool.com/2011/01/canon-5d-mark-ii-challenged-panasonic-gh2/

Ian-T
01-22-2011, 08:44 AM
http://nofilmschool.com/2011/01/canon-5d-mark-ii-challenged-panasonic-gh2/I don't know about you ....but I love that guy's accent. Reminds me of someone...very vey famous...hmmmm.. "I'll be back!!""

....now...who says you can't compare both these cameras?

EDIT:
I just had a thought while watching the above videos. If Panasonic (or any other 4/3s cam manufacturer) ever came out with a lens just as fast as the current voigtlander 0.95 lens but much wider...like 14mm or 7mm...then couldn't that make Full Frame cameras obsolete? Not only would they have the light advantage but will also have a much much more manageable DOF at the equivalent apertures. Right now the 0.95 is one of the fastest lens ever made. Put a lens that fast on the 5Dll...and the cameras would go blind trying to focus.