PDA

View Full Version : What is this effect? (Music Video)

danabnormal
01-18-2011, 01:36 AM
/edit Just noticed I put this in the wrong place - Sorry! If an admin wants to move it that would be great.

Hi all!

I'm currently planning a music video shoot and have a wall of vids that kind of reflect the look I'm after, but I'm struggling to figure out how one effect is achieved.

You can see this in the Oasis/You Know What I Mean video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUozAuqkO5o&hd=1

The keywords I have written is:

None-so-black, detail, concentrated colour but low palette, reflections, shiny

I'm finding this hard to describe and was hoping you guys could help.

The blacks are very, very black and it looks like the shadow levels have been brought in to the midtones slightly. Overall I think the palette has been reduced and concentrated on green, black and red (for the flares). Despite this there seems to be a high level of detail in the imagery - reflections in Liams glasses seem detailed, the head on Noels guitar looks very lacquered - I'm thinking the mids perhaps have been concentrated on a lot and sharpness raised at target points throughout?

Am I on the right track? Does that description make sense and possibly how its achieved make sense? D'you know what I mean??

I'm not a fan of the whole video - I think the whole-band shots are way too dark for the amount of detail its trying to show, but I think its an interesting look and while not 100% what I'm after is a step there.

Thanks!

Dan

stuckfootage
01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
The blacks have been crushed. It's often a good idea when preparing something for compression,
but here they do it to the extreme for an effect.

It was shot on a cloudy day, which means the shadows are less directional, more part of the outline of the object.
The overcast sky also means that shiny things like polished guitar wood, etc., look extra shiny, like a car shoot with a giant softbox.

I believe the chroma (or at least the red channel) was blurred quite a bit.
This is something you can do to smooth out skin without losing detail.
So the surfaces are all so smooth that they almost look like they were painted,
but the details are still there. This effect is also called the cartoon effect.

Sometimes you get a helicopter flyover with an overexposed sky that's glowing.
That's probably just a blur controlled by a lumakey.

Finally, I think they reduced saturation overall.

danabnormal
01-19-2011, 02:11 AM
The blacks have been crushed. It's often a good idea when preparing something for compression,
but here they do it to the extreme for an effect.

It was shot on a cloudy day, which means the shadows are less directional, more part of the outline of the object.
The overcast sky also means that shiny things like polished guitar wood, etc., look extra shiny, like a car shoot with a giant softbox.

I believe the chroma (or at least the red channel) was blurred quite a bit.
This is something you can do to smooth out skin without losing detail.
So the surfaces are all so smooth that they almost look like they were painted,
but the details are still there. This effect is also called the cartoon effect.

Sometimes you get a helicopter flyover with an overexposed sky that's glowing.
That's probably just a blur controlled by a lumakey.

Finally, I think they reduced saturation overall.

Many thanks for that, it helped a lot. I know that the effect in this video is quite strong and isn't entirely what I'm after, but I'm just brainstorming ideas (with myself....) at the moment and couldn't describe it accurately.