PDA

View Full Version : Tablet device with HDMI input

SantaCruzMichael
01-07-2011, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine is at CES posting updates on new tablet devices, but I'm still not seeing one with a video INPUT.

I know this feature has limited mass-market appeal, but I'd love to have a tablet with a beautiful HD lcd that I could use as a location monitor, but which could also do all the things that an iPad does on the days when I'm not shooting.

If anyone comes across such a device, please post a link in this thread!

_Michael

ggrantly
01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Toshiba is getting ready to introduce an iPad competitor with HDMI input. Unknown whether you can stream real time to it. If you can, the external monitor makers should be thinking price drop.

Grant

Bassman2003
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tip and please link to the Toshiba product when it is out. I too am watching all of these tablets thinking "if they just added live HDMI input..."

omar_
01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I think tablets with HDMI will become obsolete very soon.

The next thing is being able to stream what's on your tablet to your television with no wires through a tablet app and an interface like http://boxee.tv and Apple TV and others. It looks promising.

You can do this now with an iphone or iPad and an AppleTV ($99).

I think you can also do this with the Boxee app and the Boxee interface ($199) The boxee app turns your smartphone into the remote. The site says you can also download the boxee software on any pc and use that as interface.

ggrantly
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Omar,

Thus far, I am not aware of any tablets that even have HDMI input, so they aren't obsolete yet. Do you know of any that do have HDMI input???

Not sure if you understand what many of us are after. If a tablet had zero latency HDMI input, it could replace the expensive on cam HD monitors. Since the tablet is in essence a small computer, it could also be used for a bunch of other tasks around a shoot.

Grant

omar_
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Ahhh! I see. Right. That would be amazing.

Not sure if it works right but supposedly Samsung Galaxy supports HDMI with microUSB to HDMI cable.

There are many android tablets coming out tis year with HDMI that were displayed at CES.

I wonder if these will work bringing video IN through HDMI which is what we're after

SantaCruzMichael
01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Hmmm, I'll check out the Galaxy, but I thought that was equipped with an HDMI output only.

kicap
01-14-2011, 09:41 PM
please someone keep updating this thread soon after CES is over ok.. I am searching the same thing too!!!

TrueIndigo
01-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Just wondering, if some tablets this year get HDMI-in, are they powerful enough to record video to their drives?

Robert Ruffo
01-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Just wondering, if some tablets this year get HDMI-in, are they powerful enough to record video to their drives?

HA HA HA - No.

kevinottawa
01-20-2011, 04:23 AM
HA HA HA - No.
Why is that funny, you think a camera/cellphone/barbie that can record video has a better processor then a tablet?

Bassman2003
01-20-2011, 07:23 AM
It is not the processor so much as the storage, or lack of storage. I would never want to record anything I am being payed for on a non-video centric based system. Too many risks.

Just for monitoring would be fine for me.

DCTBradJohnson
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
If they get HDMI surely they will have USB. If storage is the only issue... a cheap portable external would solve that problem real fast? Many people said they don't want to take DSLR's into a professional environment because they are "not made for video"... however they seem to be making a significant impact despite not being intended soley for video productions. What about dumping footage on location... it doesnt take much processor speed to connect a card adapter and a hard drive and let the two tango. I for one would be all for using a tablet to monitor and dump footage to while on location. Didn't Fujitsu make tablets back in 07 with PCMCIA slots?

robertrogoz
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I would like to see HDMI in on my Droid, it had 480 horizontal resolution- so it would serve perfectly as external monitor.

kevinottawa
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
If they get HDMI surely they will have USB. If storage is the only issue... a cheap portable external would solve that problem real fast? Many people said they don't want to take DSLR's into a professional environment because they are "not made for video"... however they seem to be making a significant impact despite not being intended soley for video productions. What about dumping footage on location... it doesnt take much processor speed to connect a card adapter and a hard drive and let the two tango. I for one would be all for using a tablet to monitor and dump footage to while on location. Didn't Fujitsu make tablets back in 07 with PCMCIA slots?

If that was the case, still record to the tablet and then dump when full to the usb drive. The solid state tablet would be faster/beter to record to. But this is all speculation untill we see a unit that is capable of recording

DrDave
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM
An SSD would gobble up the input, no worries there.

wocag
01-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Didn't Fujitsu make tablets back in 07 with PCMCIA slots?

I actually own an old FSC T4215 that has a CardBus slot... never used it for video though.
Do you refer to P2, or is there another benefit of having a PCMCIA slot?

TrueIndigo
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
"But this is all speculation untill we see a unit that is capable of recording" -- agreed.

Robert Ruffo
01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Recording video takes dedicated processors, a very fast hard drive, etc. There is a reason why a Red weighs 10 pounds bare, and a reason why a Nanoflash costs $3000.

Darren Levine
01-23-2011, 08:16 PM
and yet to see the atomos ninja, still hoping it proves to be a solid nanoflash alternative

Paul F
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Omar,

Thus far, I am not aware of any tablets that even have HDMI input, so they aren't obsolete yet. Do you know of any that do have HDMI input???

Grant

There are many with HDMI-in if you like clones. http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/android+tablet+hdmi.html

ggrantly
01-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Paul,

The real question is if they have a genuine HD screen and will they work as a no-latency display from a video cam. If it did, you could use it instead of a high priced monitor for critical focus and framing. That would change everything....er well a lot of things.

Grant

Paul F
01-24-2011, 07:26 AM
My brain is disengaged. I meant to say they have HDMI-out. I've been searching for HDMI-in, but have not found it. Many just say they have HDMI, without specifying in/out.

Yes, that is my thoughts as well. I'm looking for something for my jib. Right now I'm going to use a Curtis 13" tv that has 1366 x 768 native resolution. That's the highest resolution I've found in a modestly-priced, small, DC powered monitor. It's a bit big. I'd like a 10".

MeisterX
04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the same boat. I've got a 7D with the mini-HDMI output and live-view. Awesome stuff but I don't want to strap my laptop to my forehead or steadi-cam to take a look.

I'm looking at the Motorola XOOM, it's got an HDMI output but since it runs on Android isn't it likely that it could be hacked to take a video feed in as well? Seems likely to me.

I'm going to check with an android guy and see if it's possible... Please update anyone if you have a XOOM

David Shapton
05-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm looking at the Motorola XOOM, it's got an HDMI output but since it runs on Android isn't it likely that it could be hacked to take a video feed in as well? Seems likely to me.Sorry to pour cold water on this idea, but it just won't work like this. Android is just software. You need a completely different hardware architecture and - most importantly - a dedicated chipset - to handle real-time video inputs. There is no such architecture in a consumer product that was never intended to input video.

Dave Shapton
Atomos

novthx
06-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I too am also looking for a samsung, ipad ( rumors of a ipad three with A5) or blackberry with video in or HDMI. Man wouldn't we all be smiling ear to ear.

max258
06-25-2011, 05:34 AM
I haven't seen any hdmi in pad.
The hdmi 1.4 support this feature, but many tablet has blocked in.
Maybe for froozing device. No idea to the hdmi in pad.
If someone found it paste it there, it can be famous for low-cost filmmaking.
The zebra and peaking would be only software update.

recordingwhiz
06-25-2011, 06:17 AM
There are NO HDMI IN pads, they just dont exist... there is NO practical reason for manufacturers to make them since they are to be considered the source of the video they are only outfitted with an HDMI out.

ev149
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
This might be of some interest: http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2011/05/27/new-teradek-cube-dual-band-wifi-models-improved-features-and-5dmkii-operation/

goglt
07-22-2011, 11:23 PM
http://goo.gl/QprcL I think the better point

ggrantly
07-23-2011, 01:21 AM
http://goo.gl/QprcL I think the better point

Where does it say HDMI input? Did I miss it?

Grant

filmag
09-03-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxvFYza6Y4

I think if you can do this with galaxy phone is no problem to do with galaxy tab or another android device. The question is how high resolution you have via usb. I think is the same thing as connecting to pc with eos utility.

Mateusz

drdancm
11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Until there is a tablet w HDMI input, look to portable HDMI monitors for inexpensive displays for video/dSLR and similar applications.
Unfortunately it will not do double duty as a tablet and it may be a bit bulkier and somewhat lower resolution (1024 x 600). Worst of all
you need to supply portable power.

http://www.dhgate.com/10-1-led-tft-lcd-hdmi-monitor-touch-screen/r-ff8080812af5994d012af5baa4c42eb2.html

If you search a bit more you can even find something quite a bit better sounding:

Cheaper
http://www.dhgate.com/10-1-usb-lcd-touch-screen-monitor-um-1012c/r-ff8080813199b377013199bd9eff050b.html

I have not purchased anything from this vendor so I have no idea about reliability of vendor or products. I'm just helping with the search.

Rick Burnett
11-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I think, as mentioned, that the return on investment of having an HDMI input of a tablet is just not going to get manufacturers to add it. Our use would be so minimal compared to the target market these devices are intended for. Because of that, and as said it would require dedicated hardware to do so, you are likely not going to see it as a hardware connection anytime soon.

Not that I can't see people using them as portable displays for other hardware, like a game system, or bluRay player, but again, given people are chasing Apple, you can be GUARANTEED that Apple isn't going to add that. They want your game playing and video watching on their own software.

I have searched HIGH and LOW for this capability myself. I was a developer of Iphone apps even for a short time and I looked into it from a hardware perspective. As Rob says, the backbone isn't there.

The next question becomes, can an external device do this? That's depends on the bandwidth of the port connection and that I am not sure. Input bandwidth != output bandwidth, totally separate.

Even if it was USB only, the processing power of a software solution would KILL the battery to get it in the camera. That's a lot of power. And, have you used a USB display adapter? I have one. Moving video at 1920x1080 kills the performance of a quad core i7 2.2Ghz machine and is really choppy. The cost of that hardware to drive that is going to make something like the DP6 seem like a lot better deal.

There is quite a bit of precedence that wireless is where it is at. The new Canon C300 has an option for controlling/monitoring the C300 over a webbrowser on a wireless device. Further, Red showed their wireless monitoring on an iPad last year that isn't available yet. I've even seen wireless monitoring solutions for a company that I do beta testing for that stopped working on it because the market wasn't there for it.

I think all of us looking for a solution is a good thing, and I'd LOVE to use my iDevices as well. Maybe someone will just throw this feature in to differentiate themselves from everyone else. But, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. We are a niche market, and therefore, other features would be their target since they'd get more traction with them.

That said, man, I would LOVE to monitor with the display on the iPhone4. It's SO crisp!!! Hopefully LG who makes the display will get it into cameras at some point!!

neededandwanted
04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I think the innovations like this are going to come from the open source hardware community (eventually). Take a look at the apertus project and their monitor/viewfinder page: http://apertus.org/en/viewfinder

(and remember, our aim to is monitor, not record over these wimpy connections -- we can probably use WiFi to get a good enough signal for aim and framing and focusing, but it will never be a good enough signal for capture)

neededandwanted
04-26-2012, 07:18 PM
This thing uses USB, but it a bit closer to the ideal way to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWNLSmW3MU
THE big drawback will be the speed. There is just no way that it will be able to show the signal with a low enough latency to be usable for real-time shooting. It will always lag behind the action.

It will be low framerate (15 fps), and probably lag behind what the camera is seeing/recording by about a quarter of a second.
Another look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEeRUFEC4tc

It looks like it will with with practically any Canon EOS model made in the past 4-6 years.

The software developer's website is here: http://dslrcontroller.com/

(It certainly looks like it is good enough to set up crane shots, for example)

bkuethen
09-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I just bought a DP6 but am still looking for a cheaper solution. Has anyone looked at car DVD monitors?

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Home_Audio_Video/LCD_Monitors_TV/7_Inch_Touch_Screen_Car_Monitor

You'd still have to overcome portable power but there are power solutions out there like the PB70 from switronix.

Not a tablet, but still cheaper than a DP6 bundle... If it works, which I don't know for sure! Any thoughts?