PDA

View Full Version : GH2, Birger Mount, EF-S Lenses

Thomas Church
01-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know if the Birger mount is going to work with the GH2 and with EF-S lenses ?

I'm basically interested in the Canon 15-55 2.8 and the Tokina 11-16 2.8

I wish Canon would come out with the next 7D already to dethrone the GH2 so I wouldn't have to deal with adapters and such.

Barry_Green
01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Nobody really knows for absolute sure, except Birger, of course... but in my talking with them, I believe that yes, it will work with the GH2, and Birger has already said that it will be compatible with EF-S lenses.

thisisapocalypse
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I wish Canon would come out with the next 7D already to dethrone the GH2 so I wouldn't have to deal with adapters and such.

The 7D ain't going anywhere for a while - it's more likely that Canon would introduce an entirely new model than go the MkII route with the 7D very soon - Canon doesn't work that way with their pro or pro-ish gear...but we may very well see the 5D MkIII this year and THAT is going to be exciting.

Thomas Church
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm not very fond of working with a FF35 sensor because my work is done mostly in low light and with that it makes focus pulling a nightmare.

I expected the 60d would show some improvements in the video area like the ones the GH2 has shown: better resolution, less moire, aliasing, etc, but apparently the only difference is that it's slightly cleaner in higher ISOs.

So yes, I'm pretty much waiting for the Canon APS-C DSLR that fixes moire, aliasing and has better resolution.

With the GH2 out it should be the next one that comes out.

I still think the lens choices for the 4/3 format is limited.

Jester2138
01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
This mount does not change the field of view I assume? In other words, a Canon 50mm 1.4 will still have a much narrower field of view on a GH2 with this mount compared to a Canon 5D?

memphishills
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
This mount does not change the field of view I assume? In other words, a Canon 50mm 1.4 will still have a much narrower field of view on a GH2 with this mount compared to a Canon 5D?

Correct. Lens will never change their field of view, just the area that gets picked up (the sensor) has an effect on the "perceived" focal length. In order for a mount to work, it needs to focus the lens at the exact same distance that it would have been on the original camera, otherwise it would be out of focus. because of this, the lens projects light all the same, regardless of camera, and its merely the size of sensor that has an effect on "perceived" focal length.