PDA

View Full Version : What do your wedding videos look like?

Cassius
12-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I've been shooting wedding photos for a long time now, and I have a good idea of how to do it, but video is still somewhat new (at least for weddings). So, what should I be shooting? What are the rest of you doing? How long do these things end up, and with what sort of format? I have a feeling I'm not covering enough, but I don't know what to do outside of what I am doing. If anyone has a full video available to watch somewhere I'd love to see it- highlight videos don't tell me much.

Kit Hannah
12-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Cassius,
You may be better off seeing what Chris Hansen has available in your area, sounds like there's a lot of work! Lol, totally joking. I would have said I was "kidding", but in this case, it would have been a bad pun and kinda weird...

Anyways, There are a ton of good wedding videos on Vimeo. Even do a search here for "wedding video" and quite a few things come up. I've seen them done so many different ways, I wouldn't say there is really a format per se. A lot of what you might think are highlight videos are really their videos, believe it or not.

I usually see people do a basic ceremony video, and some either get really straight forward or too creative with the "other" videos they create. Sometimes a music video, sometimes a creative looks video as if they're doing a photo shoot and happens to be a video camera there. I've see some really nice stuff out there and some really awful stuff. I mean, type in "wedding" into vimeo and you get 9700 pages of stuff. You can choose to sort by "most liked" and it will bring up all of the good stuff. Hopefully that will give you some better ideas on which direction to go. Personally for me, I do some photography and corporate video, weddings are definitely not my thing, at all. Maybe it will be yours, who knows :)

Exact
01-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Weddings Videos / Films depend a lot on several factors, including:

• How much the B&G are willing to pay. You can't make great wedding videos (and make a profit) if they can only afford Uncle Bob

• What the B&G want you to film (and not film), e.g. if they don't want Bride & Groom Prep then this may change how the video starts (depending on the type of edit)

• How many crew you have - while not impossible, it's harder to shoot with only one person

• What type of equipment you are using - Audio is critical to good wedding videos, and different cameras give different results

• What type of style you and/or the B+G want - do they want a short form edit, a full documentary edit or some combination?

• The length of the final product varies based on what you shoot on the day AND the type of editing.

Ours vary between 15-30 mins for a short form edit, but then they get a full documentary cut of the ceremony & speeches too. Others choose strictly documentary (with instructions to not cut anything from the ceremony or speeches) and these can end up between 60 and 120 mins. I've had speeches last almost an hour and a ceremony lat more than an hour, so put those two together and you can see how this builds.

iunknown
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
DVinfo has a good top25 videographer article in their magazine. Great place to see what the top guys are doing. Guys I admire below.

http://www.stillmotion.ca/

http://joesimonweddingfilms.com/films-short-films-01.htm

http://www.cloudninecreative.com/