PDA

View Full Version : Clearance to shoot a live performance

ian lucero
03-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I am in charge of putting together a crew to document a live orchestral performance here in Seattle at the Moore Theater. My question is, how much clearance will I need to get in order to make the footage into a film (dvd, web, etc.) The finished movie will not be sold (although there is a chance it will be used for promotional purposes) and will be archived to numerous libraries, including the Moore Theater's own library if they have one.

I'm researching Location Agreements and Release forms for the performers and composers that could be in the film. This will be a documentary about 2 hours in length (the length of the show) that will include interviews and short descriptions of the pieces that will be premiered. Along with the music will be one short-film that the orchestra will be performing music to. I assume that I will need permission from the creator of that short-film too.

If there are any pointers or information you could share with me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the first time I've approached shooting a live event in this way - actually getting permission. I don't know if it is necessary at all for what the final product will be and considering it is a film that will be freely distributed.

xander76
03-23-2005, 11:00 PM
I am not a lawyer, but you will also need to get rights to any of the musical pieces that the orchestra performs. Some works (Bach, Mozart, etc.) are in the public domain, but new compositions are not.

Walter_Graff
03-25-2005, 07:55 AM
You'll need permission form everyone including the people in the video, the owners of the other video, the place you are doing it at, and any organizations involved. And you will have to get rights to any music you use.