PDA

View Full Version : Motion animation low quality in AfterEffects

shaun_au
03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

I did a title animation in Motion. The title text looks perfect(smooth and sharp). Then I exported it, and brought the clip back into AfterEffects for some compositing. After the import, the clip reviews fine. But when I put the clip on the timeline, the text looks aweful. It's not smooth and sharp anymore. It has jagged edges and blurry too. What's going on? I rendered my title in Motion at the highest quality without compression. What did I do wrong?

here's the screen grab:

http://www.shaunau.com/archive/motion/motion_probs.jpg

Thanks.

Shaun

BLUESPIDER
03-17-2005, 01:52 PM
What are you exporting it out as? I usually export logos like that out uncompressed if I know I have to import it back to AE. Then agian you might have it as draft quailty. Make sure your quality is set to fine.

shaun_au
03-17-2005, 03:59 PM
What are you exporting it out as? I usually export logos like that out uncompressed if I know I have to import it back to AE. Then agian you might have it as draft quailty. Make sure your quality is set to fine.

I used NTSC DV 720x480 for the Motion project setting. My .mov output setting from Motion is:

Quicktime Movie
Lossless Movie

in "Options":

Quicktime movie
Animation
quality: 100

In AE, my comp setting is:
NTSC DV, 720x480
Pixel rati0: 0.9

Yes, the quicktime clip on the timeline in AE is set to the best quality.

Taylor Moore
03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Export as stated above as uncompressed.

shaun_au
03-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Export as stated above as uncompressed.

Ok, so Quicktime uncompressed. But which one then? 10-bit or 8-bit?

Taylor Moore
03-17-2005, 04:36 PM

It depends on what editing system you are bringing it in to...try both and pick the one that looks the best.

shaun_au
03-17-2005, 05:14 PM

It depends on what editing system you are bringing it in to...try both and pick the one that looks the best.

It's still not working. I exported as quicktime uncompressed(10 bit and 8bit). Still looks the same when I put it on the timeline in AE.

john2
03-17-2005, 05:18 PM
in the project window control+click the clip, then click interpret footage. in the fields and pulldown menu select OFF.

try that.

shaun_au
03-17-2005, 05:33 PM
in the project window control+click the clip, then click interpret footage. in the fields and pulldown menu select OFF.

try that.

I got it! but it's actually the "Sperate Fields" problem(in the interpret footage dialogue box). I turned it "Off". Bingo, sharpe and crisp!

Thank you guys!

shaun_au
03-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I got it! but it's actually the "Sperate Fields" problem(in the interpret footage dialogue box). I turned it "Off". Bingo, sharpe and crisp!

Thank you guys!

but I'm still wondering why the "Sperate Fields" would cause a problem like that.

Can anyone explain what does this "Sperate Fields" do?