PDA

View Full Version : Special effects gun fight test (Action Essentials 2)

Trucci
11-12-2010, 05:05 PM
http://vimeo.com/16773605

I just bought a ton of plastic guns from Pingyao, China, and I thought I would shoot them (with my camera). Details about the settings are on the vimeo description.

There are two lessons I learned from this shoot when using the hack. Always remember to raise your shutter speed in 60p mode or you will get bitrates of 5Mbps or less. Second, remember to go back to FHD mode after you're done with 60p.

the doc
11-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Can someone confirm if this is right? I thought you only needed to go to double the shutter speed if you were doing slowe mo? So in 1080p or 720p in pal land for example you would use 1/50 sec most of the time?

Trucci
11-12-2010, 07:07 PM
If you shoot slomo (60p), you want to be at around 1/125. My mistake was that I kept my shutter at 1/50 which caused the bitrate to drop. You can really notice it on the double pistol diving shot.

Ben_B
11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Nice gunshot effects, shotgun in particular was quite good. Wall hits were pretty darn nice. Body hits, not so much. All in all a nice test.

Trucci
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the body hits look pretty ridiculous. Anyone have any tips on digitally adding blood? The tinted red dust that's in FreddieW stuff looks okay, but I want to try and composite liquid blood properly.

x_WOrPIG_x
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the body hits look pretty ridiculous. Anyone have any tips on digitally adding blood? The tinted red dust that's in FreddieW stuff looks okay, but I want to try and composite liquid blood properly.

If you added a bit of a blur to the blood layer it should help. It looks to sharp, and has no motion blur. You can try to set that layer to motion blur and turn in on, but i'm not sure it would help as much as just adding a blur effect.