PDA

View Full Version : Virus / 550D

ROCKMORE
11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
This may sound strange, but I think my 550D has a computer virus. I reformat the SD cards every time before start shooting an empty card. When I open the card on the PC there are 2 virus detected by my anti virus software.
Virus Autorun-Script.Inf and Autorun-Infector.exe
Otherwise the camera is shooting and recording normally, and I am able to delete the virus, but this actually sucks.
Has anyone heard of this before, and can the camera's memory be restored to it's factory settings? I contacted Canon, but no reply yet.

Thanks

Chris Johnston
11-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Did you try the majic lantern hack?

J Davis
11-09-2010, 07:50 PM
You format the card with the camera right? (not the computer)
edit:
choose low level format in the camera menu settings

ROCKMORE
11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Did you try the majic lantern hack?

No, but I did move some files from my PC back to the SD card to test if I could edit down the original camera files with the camera's edit function.

ROCKMORE
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
You format the card with the camera right? (not the computer)
edit:
choose low level format in the camera menu settings

That's what I normally do. I just reformatted the card with the camera's low level option, shot a one minute video test, opened it on my PC and the virus is there again.

Ted Ramasola
11-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Rockmore,

BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH THAT VIRUS, IT WAS A MAJOR EPIDEMIC HERE IN ASIA WITH THAT AUTORUN VIRUS. You may have inserted that card via card reader onto an infected computer or have taken that to a printing kiosk. If you have then chances are you have gotten that and infected also your computer. Try testing your computer by right clicking a folder, if the properties option is not there then your computer is infected.

Google the way to kill that thing, you may also need to edit your registry to do a clean kill.

That thing is nasty if thats really the autorun virus.

ROCKMORE
11-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Rockmore,

Google the way to kill that thing, you may also need to edit your registry to do a clean kill.

That thing is nasty if thats really the autorun virus.

I'm also in Asia and it's very difficult to avoid computer virus. My i7 is out being reformatted and this Quad will go out when the i7 comes back. That and a freeze program seems to be the only way for me to keep the system clean.
I never thought the camera could be effected by a virus though.
Canon contacted me and said to send the camera in, but no mention what they planned to do about it or how long, except have a look at it and hope to sell me a refurbished unit. Yeah right.
I do find it strange that with all the Canon DSLRs and computer virus out there nobody seems to have ever heard of this problem.
The camera is still functioning normally at the moment, but it heads for the dealer soon. The 60D is starting to look mighty tempting at the moment.
I did Google it and my post here came up at the top of the list with nothing else on the subject.

Ted Ramasola
11-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Oh geez,your in asia, thats why. Whats your operating system? Don't count on the freeze software, once that is also hit you can't access it and wont be able to unfreeze. Do you have the "unfreeze" software just in case? Let me look at my files for the autorun removal.

ROCKMORE
11-10-2010, 04:29 AM
The freeze works quite well. I had it installed in my i7 and could unfreeze for controlled modifications. The problem came when I rented it out for a week to a rendering farm. I was running XP-64 bit on both systems, but the i7 is now Windows 7. I think the Quad will be the same. The virus attach to systems programs and seem to be easily cleaned off data storage HDs. My take on it from a few years of attacks. The guy who manages my systems has 40 PCs in an internet cafe all online and since he's been using the freeze system he hasn't had a virus on any computer there in 2 years. It's like The Road Worrier around computers here, but just another normal day all the same. I set up 2 identical systems HDs for both my computers when I format, so I always have a backup on the job. If a system starts acting up, I have a fresh one to drop in like a spare tire when I get a blowout. It's happened more than once and always at the worst time. The world we live in.

///Canon update just came in.... They said "Dear Mr. Rockmore, In order for a virus to be on the camera would have to have been loaded into the camera during a firmware update, but the camera would only allow the update to be performed if the file was made specifically for the 7D. If it is the wrong file size or type it will not allow to install."

I think I did mention to Canon the virus is on a 550D not a 7D, but prompt service from Canon never the less so no complaints here. I guess since that's the rule and I didn't install any firmware my warrantee still valid. Some good news at least.

ROCKMORE
11-25-2010, 05:45 AM
Well after many different antivirus scans it seemed to have the computer cleaned up. Now the scanners are not finding anything on the Canon EOS card, so I think the problem was never with the camera, but the USB port on the Quad. My i7 is back and everything seems to be clean.

maranfilms
11-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Im yet to understnad why certain people would get off making and sending a computer virus to someone. I guess im not geeky enough to understand the motive behind this malicious behavior. To hell with all virus programmers. lol

Ted Ramasola
11-25-2010, 05:52 AM
geez, I was looking for the "like" button! LOL!

Ted Ramasola
11-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Im yet to understnad why certain people would get off making and sending a computer virus to someone. I guess im not geeky enough to understand the motive behind this malicious behavior. To hell with all virus programmers. lol

Yeah, I was computer major, before I took up advertising and during that time when were still using DOS, COBOL, etc, geeks, (we call them nerds back then) were already making viruses, and I figured its the "looking to be noticed" mentality, much like vandals that spray paint walls with their name.

They're such a pain, I wish them a painful death as well. ;-)

Jordan_S
11-25-2010, 08:02 AM
The punishment for convicted virus writers should be the removal of their fingernails with a pair of pliers.

That'll stop 'em from typing for awhile.

bwwd
12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Its mostly all about satisfaction to sneak into someone elses computer ,not always about stealing or hacking to spy.And there is satisfaction after removing the virus too.
And by the way,your camera could not catch any virus because as far as i know there are no virusses written for operating system which is used by canon DSLR's, so if there would be virus then only on card and its not a problem to just format the card in camera and scan it ,only thing which could catch virus from card would be computer with windows system if you,re using windows ,computers with linux and macs wouldnt get infected by it .

nosys70
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
first, today, people write viruses for basic motivation , power and money. The early age were writing a virus in 320 byte to format your disk was a technical masterwork to show your programming skill, is gone. today you get virus factory that pack any behavior you need into a small program, you do not even need to know what's inside or how it works. The most difficult thing being to find a way to distribute the sneaky program without starting the bell.
The goal of main virus today is not to attack you, it is to slave you machine (sending spam) or steal you personal info, and if possible this must be hidden as long as possible.
Today computers share many features so, you could get a mac, a smartphone or even a DSLR and still get a virus. Most of the electronic devices today share the same code, like java or use the same processor and even worse, they easily communicate.
For sure you can get a lot more of power by infesting a PC than a DVD reader, but a specific action (like destroying only some devices or even some devices used by particular people for a particular use) are emerging today.
you already got some feature in color copier , that are able to detect attempt the copy of a money bill.
you can easily imagine somebody writing a virus that goes in a car system and disable brakes only if you are over 80mph and pressing the pedal at more than 90%.
many people were dreaming at genetic weapon that could target only a group of people, but in computer world that is already a reality. The latest exploit being the stuxnet virus

bwwd
12-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Letting to connect to internet any kind of heavy physical weapon is the biggest failures human could do IMO.Ridiculous stuff ,those thing should only be operated with codes changed daily and by actual human being in front of it and not by internet connection.Such machine should not have any slots to insert any kind of data.

nosys70
12-05-2010, 02:17 AM
what you do not understand is the machine IS the slot AND the data already.
there is not a single gadget on earth today (included nuclear missile) that do not integrate tons of chip and software.
nobody knows if these chips and software are not already corrupted.

bwwd
12-05-2010, 09:46 AM
yeah but if i would want to steal someones data and he has some fancy passwords then i just simply unscrew his CPU and take out hard drive to copy files ,those things/machines which control weapons need to stay far away from all external connections other than hands in front of them.You can make things impossible to open ,they could be assembled this way so they would damage themselves permanently and turn off when they would be opened.
I know people would find the way to hack them sooner or later,just look what happened with Playstation 3,it resisted hacks so many years,sony was proud because of this and spend a lot of money on security for their console.Simple usb stick and console is in its service mode,many machines have service mode ,they probably wrecked some ps3's figuring out what kind of circuits would work to switch console to this mode,but they did what was "impossible".

nosys70
12-05-2010, 12:55 PM
hehe most chip a done in china.....and most development is made in india....

bwwd
12-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I dont know,programmers can be bought ,you can program yourself anything you want onto your integrated circuits if you want to and you dont want involvement of some companies.