PDA

View Full Version : painting a prison cell

ad777
11-07-2010, 02:31 PM
hi, im building a prison cell set out of cinder blocks. its supposed to be a very old cell so im going to take a hammer to it to wear it down a bit and age it.

my question is what further things can i do to give it an old aged look. i plan on doing some painting and washes. i want a slight green ting to the cell with a really old and dirty look. i imagine it would take several layers of paint and other liquids to build up. ive read about doing washes with vinegar and things to make wood look aged. im trying to find the equivelent for concrete.

never done this before. so if anyone has advice on any aspect of getting this to look real please let me know.

also, i need a big metel door for the cell. any idea where i could find one?

THANKS!

rsbush
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Get your hands on a Hudson sprayer. Mix a very watery blend of water and dark brown almost black (van dyke brown and black) latex paint and start spraying. A light spraying should kind of hang there, a heavier spraying will run and create dirty runs like what might occur in a very damp dirty environment. You may also want to selectively remove areas of the wash with a rag. Work in layers to taste.

ad777
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
hey thanks! any ideas if i want a green tinge to it? would i use green instead of brown and black? would i do a layer of green then a layer of the brown? i dont want to do a solid paint job of green because i feel that would be too much. i just want a hint of it underneath the dirt.

rsbush
11-08-2010, 04:27 AM
In that case I'd start with the green and then layer the dirty brown/black mix on top.