PDA

View Full Version : The Commons - Really cool video shot on GH13 With 50mm Nikon

Drl Ahye
10-18-2010, 06:13 PM
http://vimeo.com/15861895

Hey DVX,
I shot this for fun, guerilla style without any stabilization, permission or script. I was checking out the hack to see what the hype was about. Vimeo didn't take files larger than 500MB so I rendered it 720p even though it was shot majority in 1080i. I logged and transfered edited in Final Cut..color corrected in After Effects. I really enjoyed not having to remove pulldown. I'm not sure what the hack added visually but I'm happy with it so far. :happy:

fraustosound
10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
You know, most videos i see are just the same old random stuff. No story, shallow DOF, shots of plants and fences, etc. Pointless.

Your video, on the other hand actually tells a story! I love videos that document a subject and yours was a perfect example. It's just a girl going about her business but was great!

Drl Ahye
10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
You know, most videos i see are just the same old random stuff. No story, shallow DOF, shots of plants and fences, etc. Pointless.

Your video, on the other hand actually tells a story! I love videos that document a subject and yours was a perfect example. It's just a girl going about her business but was great!

Thank you man.
I run into a lot of those random stuff videos too, after seeing a bunch of spec stuff I like seeing actual stuff shot on a camera.
I didn't shoot it with an exact story in mind but I edited it into something of a story.
I'm waiting to see that anamorphic 80 min film on here that's supposed to have a teaser soon. The grabs were awesome

Ben_B
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Really enjoyed it. Specifically I thought the editing was excellent and well timed and suited to the music. I also liked a lot of the images, specifically the shots on the bus and the praying mantis. I really enjoyed the cup rolling around on the ground on the bus and thought of it as allegorical of the woman...aimless, wandering, and very much alone.

x_WOrPIG_x
10-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Excellent little video. Loved the editing, style, the way it looked. All the shots looked really good. The only thing I was bothered by was the shakiness. I know it was shot guerilla style, but that much jitter is kind of annoying at times. Are you using a plug-in to import the FCP project to after effects? If anyone knows what it's called it would be appreciated.

larryfine451
10-19-2010, 01:00 AM
I liked all of it ...that preying mantis is too cool...forgot about everything and just watched .....kept me interested what else can you say..!

cheers bud

Larry

JoeJITSU
10-19-2010, 01:09 AM
wow! great job!lowlight was not what I expected. I didn't see any banding or noise. unless someone else saw it. I might be changing to Nikon mounts now. lol

tflak
10-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Some of the best praying mantis footage I've ever seen.

maxdvz
10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Diamond in the rough!

Drl Ahye
10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Really enjoyed it. Specifically I thought the editing was excellent and well timed and suited to the music. I also liked a lot of the images, specifically the shots on the bus and the praying mantis. I really enjoyed the cup rolling around on the ground on the bus and thought of it as allegorical of the woman...aimless, wandering, and very much alone.

Thanks Ben B. She really is aimless.
I like your stuff you gotta tell me your settings.

Excellent little video. Loved the editing, style, the way it looked. All the shots looked really good. The only thing I was bothered by was the shakiness. I know it was shot guerilla style, but that much jitter is kind of annoying at times. Are you using a plug-in to import the FCP project to after effects? If anyone knows what it's called it would be appreciated.

Thanks WOrPIG the shakiness bothered me too.
The plugin I used to import FCP into After Effects is called FCPToAE it worked pretty well.

I liked all of it ...that preying mantis is too cool...forgot about everything and just watched .....kept me interested what else can you say..!

cheers bud

Larry

I'm glad you liked it Larry. Hearing that it kept you interested means more to me than how it looked visually or anything else technical related.

wow! great job!lowlight was not what I expected. I didn't see any banding or noise. unless someone else saw it. I might be changing to Nikon mounts now. lol

Yeah it came out pretty good for lowlight. Thanks JoeJITSU

Some of the best praying mantis footage I've ever seen.

LOL Thanks. That big praying mantis was hanging out infront the Chinese Restaurant. I was happy to add him to the video, He was easy to work with and took instructions well.

Diamond in the rough!

Thank you maxdvz. That comment made me happy I shared it since I wasn't really going to at first.

averan
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
haha! nice cameo! ;)

Ian-T
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I swear....that praying mantis looked like it was about to bust out with some kung fu... Nice footage.

stip
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
The best Gh13, 5D, 7D or whatever footages around here are those that make you forget to examine the footage and instead just start watching the film. I really enjoyed this.

larryfine451
10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm glad you liked it Larry. Hearing that it kept you interested means more to me than how it looked visually or anything else technical related.

All of this stuff about GH1 ,GH2 Af100, technical blaa, is all wonderful left-brain stuff....But its the stories I love ....since I was a kid and read m first book ..anything that has an impact on your emotions you remember.....Not the lens flair,lack of banding etc..you have that little bit of magic in this piece that " does it "

please continue to do this ...its great..

Larry

Ernie LaserHawk9000
10-21-2010, 01:18 PM
more praise for the mantis, for some reason it really sticks, maybe because its in the city at night but its beautiful, nice cc too.

Drl Ahye
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I swear....that praying mantis looked like it was about to bust out with some kung fu... Nice footage.

Unless most praying mantises this one didn't know any kung fu. lol

The best Gh13, 5D, 7D or whatever footages around here are those that make you forget to examine the footage and instead just start watching the film. I really enjoyed this.

True dat Stip.

All of this stuff about GH1 ,GH2 Af100, technical blaa, is all wonderful left-brain stuff....But its the stories I love ....since I was a kid and read m first book ..anything that has an impact on your emotions you remember.....Not the lens flair,lack of banding etc..you have that little bit of magic in this piece that " does it "

please continue to do this ...its great..

Larry

Thanks again Larry. I'm like you on that. One of my favorite movies is Munich because of the impact it had on my emotions. I'm definitely gonna shoot some more stuff

more praise for the mantis, for some reason it really sticks, maybe because its in the city at night but its beautiful, nice cc too.
Thanks Ernie, I appreciate it.

haha! nice cameo! ;)
LOL Good eye!