PDA

View Full Version : "Around the Block" GH13 Car test shoot

Ben_B
10-17-2010, 09:48 PM
http://vimeo.com/15938781

This is a little short I did to test out some camera angles that I plan on using for an upcoming project.

Lumix GH1, 1080/24p, GH13 firmware hack AVCHD "C" settings.

Lenses:
Lumix G. Vario 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 Asph.
Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Asph. Macro.

The mount I used was just a modified GPS suction mount. I've ordered a better mount that I will be using for the actual project.

Edited in Final Cut Pro, Color Graded in Magic Bullet Looks.

Music: "Death" by White Lies, on "To Lose My Life."

©Benjamin Bunch 2010

Please make sure to "like" and to leave any questions or comments here or on Vimeo.

Shinobi Productions
10-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Cool, a better mount should take away some of the vibrations, but good rigging on fly it looked pretty good

33 and a third media
10-20-2010, 06:44 AM
may I ask what were your camera settings for that shoot....

Ben_B
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
may I ask what were your camera settings for that shoot....

1080/24p, 1/60th shutter, AVCHD hack "C" settings, no 24pn, lens stopped down for proper exposure whatever that was, OIS on, with the new lens update. Picture profile was Standard with contrast -2, sharpness +1, NR -2, and I believe sat +/- 0. Then graded in MBL.

tflak
10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Ben - Surprised to see you using sharpness at +1. Is that a recent change for you? Remember seeing you had usually depended on adding sharpness in post.

UncleBenji1977
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I was expecting to see a ton of jello and didn't see any? You said there was an update for the lens? How do I get that, and will it mess up my camera and not allow me to hack it anymore?

UncleBenji1977
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I was expecting to see a ton of jello and didn't see any? \

Didn't mean for there to be a question mark here. Sorry.

Ben_B
10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I was expecting to see a ton of jello and didn't see any? You said there was an update for the lens? How do I get that, and will it mess up my camera and not allow me to hack it anymore?

You can get it from the panasonic website, there's a thread on here somewhere. It improves the OIS in video though I didn't see a huge improvement. The reason you might not see jello is that I didn't do much post stabilization so it's hidden in the movement, however, I am planning on using CCD cameras for some of these shots in my project I am working on (if I get access to them) so I can do stabilization.

Didn't mean for there to be a question mark here. Sorry.

There's an edit post button :)

Ben_B
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Ben - Surprised to see you using sharpness at +1. Is that a recent change for you? Remember seeing you had usually depended on adding sharpness in post.

I've always used sharpness +1 because even with the hack I feel like helping the camera see some extra detail in areas, false or otherwise, is a good thing because P-frames record changes only based on the previous frame so the more detail there was the more detailed changes it might recognize. I also just kind of like the look of it. I've always used it and always been happy with the results so I see no reason to risk changing :)

Also I sometimes do compositing that involves motion tracking and I feel like the extra sharpness helps.

tflak
10-20-2010, 06:13 PM
My mistake - for some reason I had some settings I had noted attributed to you, but it was in fact dvbrother. But thanks for the explanation of why and how you're using +1.

Nice looking footage here and good editing, btw. Wasn't crazy about the wheel shot being used more than once, but only because I have a a balance/vertigo problem and it made me dizzy. :)

mrmoe
10-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Wheels look hot. Congrats. Always enjoy watching good work. Cheers