PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference!?

mobiledeli
03-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I watched fight club last night and I wondered to my self, what makes this movie different from my movies i shoot with the dvx? aside from a great plot. I mean, it looks so much different and sounds so much different and is just... different. What do they have that I dont?

and if the answer is millions of dollars then so be it. but what do you get with those millions of dollars?

Cheesesailor77
03-06-2005, 07:23 PM
lol well besides all the stuff you mentioned, great plot, great looks, great sound, they're pretty much the same.

mobiledeli
03-06-2005, 08:19 PM
but why are they so different?

Mike_Donis
03-06-2005, 08:52 PM
They did shoot on film, they did shoot it WELL, and they had professional audio equipment, etc...

So in reality, it comes down not only to the money, but the ridiculous skill of the filmmakers!

Bermudaforce
03-07-2005, 01:37 AM
They're called Professionals. And years of Experience.

Maverick711
03-07-2005, 01:55 AM
not to mention a crew of hundreds. have you ever watched the credits of a movie it like a phonebook! but i feel your pain, plus we dont have Brad Pitt. Late-

Woodson
03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
figh club is overrated but hey that's just my opinion, I still like the movie.

mobiledeli
03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
the point isnt really about fight club, its more about achieving a look for a film, the lighting and the makeup i guess are really what make it look good, and a high quality (what makes it high quality) mic make it sound good.

Moonwind
03-07-2005, 07:05 PM
And don't forget the food!!! Films like that ALWAYS have GREAT food and plenty of it ALL DAY LONG!! Good Food=Full People & Full People=Happy People & Happy People=People Who Work Hard for Good Food!

MattC
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
You answered your own question, money.

That's pretty much it. See, when you (or I, or most of us, for that matter) run into a problem, it's just that, a problem, and we have to figure out how to solve it, or, in many cases due to budget or lack of experience, how to minimize it.

Studios, for the most part, don't operate under the same paradigm. See, if money can solve your "problem", it's no longer a problem, it's an expense. Now, if you have experience producing films and can put together a realistic budget which accounts for unexpected expenses, you really don't have any problems (well, you do, but, not the kind your post is driving at). You want good sound on your next feature? You hire a professional recordist with years of experience and thousands of dollars worth of kit and have any number of professional post houses mix it for you. Need FX? Hire ILM. Your script is weak? No worries, hire a top notch script writer to clean it up for you or write you a new one. Lighting sucks? Call the union, find the best gaffer and crew you can get with a semi full of gear and let them do their thing. Acting isn't up to par? Call SAG, sign the necessary paperwork, hire a publicist to create some pre-production buzz, and hire a casting agent with years of experience and connections.

These are the things that money buys. It also buys locations, dollys and cranse, stedicam operators, professional colorists, film, food, fluffers and whatever else might be needed.

You and I? We have to fluff ourselves my friend...

Matt

Jim Brennan
03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
You and I? We have to fluff ourselves my friend...

Wow! Are you a contortionist?

MattC
03-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Sadly, no...

mobiledeli
03-08-2005, 04:26 AM
wow yeah i see your point. sounds like i gotta start a second job

stationhouse
03-08-2005, 05:34 AM
More than just a second job - try to get to know talented people in your area.