PDA

View Full Version : Tips for "blending" locations

ShBm
10-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm shooting something with four people living in the same house. Each of them has a room in the house, and for three of the roommates their room scenes will be shot in the house. However, for comedic effect, the fourth roommate's room is going to be an entire other house, as if his room were that large. I really want this fourth room to look as if it's truly part of the main house because if it seems hokey and fake the joke will be lost quickly. I feel like the more believable it is that the fourth bedroom door leads into that enormous room (which is an actual house) the funnier it will be. Does anyone have tips on blending this second house into the main house?

I've had a hard time searching because I just don't know what to look for.

An example of this would be in Brick, with the Pin's office being a separate set from the rest of his house.

eureka
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I would use Apple color to grade everything the same....

polfilmblog
10-11-2010, 06:00 PM
You may need to replace moldings, doors, a section of floor (although a long running rug would be easier), paint -- things that convince people at first glance that it's the same building. Intentionally insert these things and use them in the shots so that people never suspect.

Drew Ott
10-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I think an audio trick could do it for you. Maybe somebody is playing loud music in one room, and when you cut to the big room the music can be heard in the background. Start the scene on the actor's face and dolly out, revealing the size. Something like that. I don't know much about the script, but it's possible that since the room is much larger, it also has nicer molding, doors, etc.

Check out this video: http://soundworkscollection.com/socialnetwork

Different ambience is used to tell the audience which meeting room they're in. You'd be using the opposite of this idea to connect the rooms.

Obviously there are some visual things to consider, but I think sound can help really sell it.

Mark A. Beal
10-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I really like the suggestion of using sound to tie the locations together. Nat sound, ambience, characters talking in the background will all help to sell the location.

Also, being careful about continuity in terms of what direction someone is moving when going from one room to the next.

You can really get away with a lot. I've done scenes where characters are supposed to be in the same room and had to shoot one shot in one location and the reverse shot in a completely different location and it works as long as the overall feel of the background and the direction of the lighting matches up.