PDA

View Full Version : 7D, using 2 monitors. SD and HDMI ??????help?

BobBlankemeier
10-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey,

Is it possible to use the hdmi port and SD video out on the 7D. I want to run it to a SD monitor and also a HDMI directors monitor at the same time. Is this possible or only one or the other? Would I have to use something like an aja box? Thanks guys

EDP
10-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I never tested it, but your best choice would be to use a splitter box, like a blackmagic or something like that to have either 2 SDI out or get another box to give you one SDI + one HDMI.
I'm pretty sure it's doable.

But, I 95% sure it's not possible to use 2 different video outputs at the same time on the 7D.

Mark Sasahara
11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes, there is only the one HDMI output, but you have some options, sort of. You can get an HDMI port multiplier that has one input and two outputs. I think some models require a power supply. The other option is a converter box, like the Black Magic HDMI to SDI converter. I have one and it's great. It needs power, but I just use a small camcorder battery. The nice thing about this is that I can use my 7 inch onboard monitor and then loop through to the larger director's monitor, which is also SDI.

The main reason I hate HDMI is that it is a terminating signal, meaning, there is no loop through. Lately, however, I have seen a few devices that do have loop through. The other reason I hate HDMI is it's a crappy connector. BNC is much more robust and locks into place quickly and easily and the cables are cheap and more common.