PDA

View Full Version : wall color for interiors

pietz
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Greetings. Shooting a feature inside my apartment and need to splash some color on some large white walls. Any suggestions for colors that look good on HD? Was thinking eggplant....

William_Robinette
10-11-2010, 11:45 AM
It really depends on the scene, what part the location plays in the script, which character resides there and such. Just splashing random colors on the wall won't do, just like a costume for a character the set must have a purpose for being the way it is.

dust'n the callipygous
10-11-2010, 03:32 PM
exactly right. of course, i would say in general it's best to stay away from typical beige or tan that most houses have. i've found skin tones blend in too much with it. kinda looks bland.

memento515
11-10-2010, 10:02 AM
you have the opportunity to choose the color for your location walls? Lucky bastard. Obviously what fits the story is your first concern, but I'd lean towards de-saturated and/or dark colors (brown or a dark cool blue for example) before anything else.

ART DIRECTION LESSON:

Colors that pop forward:

Warm colors (reds yellow orange)
Saturated Colors (what most people call "bright" colors, tho that term is not completely accurate- think kids crayons).
Light Toned colors

Colors that move back:

De-Saturated colors (browns and greys, for example)
Cool colors (blue green purple)
Dark toned colors

Also, opposing colors (complementaries) pop from each other. For example, red is the opposite of green so a red clothed person in front of a green background will draw attention.

Of course all this theory is hardly a formula, especially since color is RELATIVE..... for example, a saturated, light blue will pop forward against a darker, grey-blue. So for example if you have a movie that is almost all browns and earth tones (or any other color scheme), you get your seperation mostly with TONE, which is what you do when you light the talent lighter than the BG (or vice versa). Every movie can't and of course doesn't need to have the talent all wearing warms and the background all cool.

Also you might not use color only for seperation, you might use it for other things- character, symbolism, to give the movie a look, or any combo thereof.

Also....

the warm/cool theory of color is whats behind Magic Bullet Mojo, which turns the shadows your footage more BLUE/GREEN so the talent pops forward more. This is the famed "blue and orange" look that Hollywood had been overdoing to death. But noone complains or even notices much because our mind naturally thinks of shadows/darkness as blue/cool and of course skin tones are already naturally warm. No, I don't work for Red Giant, I do have the software but may not even use it for my short- I might end up desaturating the whole thing in post a bit for a grindhousey look.

there are no rules only tools.

:)