PDA

View Full Version : how do Canon 7D and 60D handle complex motion like water, trees?

Nicholas Natteau
10-02-2010, 02:26 PM
As a current Panasonic hacked GH1 owner, I'm seriously considering buying either the Canon 7D or the 60D for low light work, but I would very much like to know how the 7D and 60D's codec handle complex motion like running water, tree leaves blowing in the wind, fast movement etc.

Thanks very much in advance,

- Nick

jambredz
10-04-2010, 12:34 AM
7D here...well running water is fine. no problems there. i havent had a prob with fast motion either. u just need to know how to move the camera to avoid rolling shutter. heres something with fast motion. http://www.vimeo.com/13568998

I have water ones...just cant upload it at the moment.

Nicholas Natteau
10-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Jambredz,

Thanks very much for replying. Outstanding film by the way. Can't wait for my 7D which is arriving tomorrow. I love how the realistic the colors are, not over-saturated. Where you using the super-flat settings or Philip Bloom settings? Thank you again for posting and helping.

Best,

- Nick

jambredz
10-08-2010, 01:35 PM
i shot most of it with a flat setting...a dialed down neutral setting. put the dial on neutral and turn sharpness and saturation all the way down and contrast 2 notches down. I shot a little on standard also. colouring the clips and making them match was a bit difficult sometimes.

If u wanna see how they look originally. the shot at 1.40 is the original colour for the standard setting. and the shot after at 1.48 is the dialed down neutral setting.

Torben Scharling
10-11-2010, 12:33 AM
I ruined some shots with having the sharpening and contrast too high, so I agree turn the sharpening all the way down, and I prefer contrast down 3 notches or all the way down. Usually I shoot with the saturation 2 notches down as well, but it all depends on the shoot. I'd say sharpening is the worst enemy when shooting water and other critical things, so best leave that to post.

robotsound
01-05-2011, 04:36 PM
With the h.264 50Mbps codec, complex motion is always very smooth.

I agree about the digital sharpness. I read a Photoshop book years ago that explained how all the various common filters worked mathematically. Digitally increasing sharpness is basically a matter of increasing the contrast between adjacent pixels. As such, you can do this in post just as easily (or not), and doing it in the camera doesn't buy you anything if you plan to color grade your footage later.