PDA

View Full Version : The SuperCameraWishList

12-03-2004, 10:26 PM
OK, I'm today proposing a new camera. But this camera will also need a new format. Forget HDV, it's too much of a compromise, squeezing and compressing all that info. Forget DV, the res is just too small.

So the new format will be called DFilm. It's designed first and foremost as a digital filmmakers format. It will be 720P, and use DV compression. It will run the DV tape as fast as need to be to accomplish this, and so a 60 minute tape may only allow 40 minutes. It will shoot of course 24p natively. It will also shoot 30p, 60i, and 60p.

Oh, and since it's Pal/NTSC switchable, it'll also shoot 25p and 50i.

The camera itself will consist of three 1/2" CCD's, in native 16:9 format, with enough pixels to easily drop the sides, and still provide a high quality 4:3 image (I suppose we have to be backward compatible).

It will have a 3.5" 16:9 LCD with 400k pixels, a professional black and white viewfinder, XLR audio inputs, and all the other normal stuff.

The camera will also have the special ability to shoot up to 120 fps, storing that on some kind of solid state media, which will be able to be written 'after the fact' to tape, as 24p. So you can shoot a super cool slow motion shot, and have it written to tape 'ready to go'. The size up the solid state media will be upgradable obviously. In place of solid state media, I'm not averse to an 'iPod' style hard drive, perhaps even removable, which could be easily hooked to a PC to dump footage. This would enable you to outfit the camera with an 80 gig drive, and bypass the whole tape thing.

It will also use this flash media for it's single progressive frame time-lapse function, writing info to tape every now and again as the buffer fills up (this is to save head-wear). So every hour, or every 10 minutes, the tape will roll, lay down the buffered time-lapse. The time-lapse will be programmible anywhere from 1 every second, to 1 frame every hour. Something like that. Hell, since it's going to be recording to non-tape media, you can set it to whatever you'd like.

The camera will have a SHOULDER MOUNT, but it will be removable, for those that don't want it.

The lens will be a very high quality 16x one. It will have full manual functionality, including zoom and focus. And of course it will be removable, for a variety of later lense designs. It will have distance markers on it. It will come with a matte-box.

The camera will be black, as all professional camera are.

And it will cost under 10k.

Oh yes. It will be mine...

Shaw
12-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Uh, are you planning on making this yourself?

There are already projects with these specs and better in progress at DVinfo.net.

12-04-2004, 02:44 AM
My only SuperCameraWish is always to have enough money to buy the newest model.

artistiam
12-11-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm with sergej I've been using someone else's dvx

oleg
12-13-2004, 03:56 PM
--