PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Film: Looking for feedback

Tracey Lee
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I did this for a student looking to get a scholarship for college. There is apparently a small niche for this thing that I may take a stab at.

I would like, from you all, some feedback as to how I might improve these types of films. A lot of the redundant shots kinda had to be in there to show her various abilities. However, any and all suggests are very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Gh1(3)
Nikon 35mm

Asiertxu
08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey, thatīs a very cool video!!
I ejoied alot watching it! :D
Thanks to share...
Asier.

mojo43
08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Well done Tracey! Is that the f1.8 that you shot with?

HHL
08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Looks great Tracey! No feedback except that it's prob head and shoulders above whatever else is out there...good for her. Good for you!

maranfilms
08-30-2010, 05:52 PM
The musical choice is pretty cliche. " Put me in coach" over softball footage is about as public access as it gets. Your shots were good though. I think you did a nice job with the angles. The footage held up nicely. I understand the redundancy of the vid, but some actual game footage would have brought it to the next level. It would have made for a nice tempo and song change cutting in real game clips.

So if you get hired to do a track and field vid, try not to use" chariots of fire" for the score.lol

seanmcleod
08-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Looks really really good, but a couple notes.

Yeah I would agree the music is a bit hokey... might wanna switch that up to a generic upbeat determination type song, the kind they play during the Pro Leagues coming back from break montages... and on the 3secs and 6secs, I would put an actual timer, as is it kind of feels like, take our word for it, vs a time which would show for sure.

And a note on the purpose of these types of videos...

I agree that as a choice scouts would be looking for actual game footage as well, cause this is mostly fluff, you know? Like don't get me wrong, it does show her skills in practice, but they want to see what you can do in a game situation mostly, so for that you're going to need a different approach to filming, and definitely a wider lens. I know when I played football they didn't want the video to be of just the person applying all the time, but of the whole field so they could see what your role was in the entire play. That's not technical but more a note on making the video scouts want to see.

Tracey Lee
08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
The musical choice is pretty cliche. " Put me in coach" over softball footage is about as public access as it gets. Your shots were good though. I think you did a nice job with the angles. The footage held up nicely. I understand the redundancy of the vid, but some actual game footage would have brought it to the next level. It would have made for a nice tempo and song change cutting in real game clips.

So if you get hired to do a track and field vid, try not to use" chariots of fire" for the score.lol

Bahaha good one! Dude I totally agree with you about the tune. Not my choice.

Tracey Lee
08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks really really good, but a couple notes.

Yeah I would agree the music is a bit hokey... might wanna switch that up to a generic upbeat determination type song, the kind they play during the Pro Leagues coming back from break montages... and on the 3secs and 6secs, I would put an actual timer, as is it kind of feels like, take our word for it, vs a time which would show for sure.

And a note on the purpose of these types of videos...

I agree that as a choice scouts would be looking for actual game footage as well, cause this is mostly fluff, you know? Like don't get me wrong, it does show her skills in practice, but they want to see what you can do in a game situation mostly, so for that you're going to need a different approach to filming, and definitely a wider lens. I know when I played football they didn't want the video to be of just the person applying all the time, but of the whole field so they could see what your role was in the entire play. That's not technical but more a note on making the video scouts want to see.

Thanks Sean. Very nice comments and very useful. Didn't think about that. Thanks!

Satsuei
08-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Very nice! I enjoyed watching it.

Just wanted to share a couple thoughts.

- You mentioned that the redundant shots had to be in there... but as a viewer knowing this is a recruiting video, I still felt it was a bit too long. The quick repetitive shots reminded me of what you might see in a sort of "getting better" scene from a light comedy movie. Like, showing a bunch of goofs, and mishaps, with light upbeat music... then the person starts to "get it".

- As others noted, actual game footage would be great.

- I really wanted to see her again at the end of the video... like maybe a tight closeup talking again about how she loves softball and dreams of playing in college. Something like that would help to wrap it up nicely.

maranfilms
08-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Satsuei has a good point, also might be cool if she did some narration about herself. more then just the basics. over the film.

androoow
08-31-2010, 04:11 AM
i agree with the music choice not being great rest of it seems to get the job done... if i may lower the tone a bit , but do Cheerleaders ever need this kind of work done??? :D

EWS
08-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Looks Great!
I put one of these together for a friends daughter although I didn't shoot it. It was mini DV and the girls mom did a decent job of shooting and stabilizing the camera and I had a lot of footage to pull from.
Bummer that I didn't get to shoot it though with my GH1.
Your shots look great though. Also agreed, maybe add some wides and some game footage.
One other thing to think about it the copyright on the tune. She had a couple of Universities unable to use it.
She had picked Tom Petty- "Running Down A Dream and "I Won't Back Down".
If would have it to do over again I would have made another version with some good high energy sports tracks.

UncleBenji1977
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Thought it was great, and did everything it was supposed to do. Great job!

JoeJITSU
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
I disagree with all.lol
The kids go talent....Look at that arm. I have seen female softball players almost everyday when I was playin ball. This girl has talent in that arm and her "hustle" on the ball. Her swinging still needs some practice. But the video was great that you "caught on tape" those strong areas. Great video.