PDA

View Full Version : What software to deflicker time lapse?

allahkaram
08-29-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm using aperture priority as suggested by philip bloom and other experts. I'm doing everything by the book but still can't get rid of the damn flickering. I heard there are software that can help reduce the flickering. Advise the ones you've used and explain why? Cheaper the better because I'm on a tight budget.

Example of the time lapse
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=698581989538&ref=mf

Any input will be appreciate it...

Jordan_S
08-29-2010, 02:27 AM
In addition to covering the eyepiece and using the plug-in Long Exposure (if you're in FCP), there's a good discussion here (http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1292).

allahkaram
08-29-2010, 03:16 AM
In addition to covering the eyepiece and using the plug-in Long Exposure (if you're in FCP), there's a good discussion here (http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1292).

Thanks Jordan

ROCKMORE
09-27-2010, 07:16 AM

I suppose a dedicated manual iris lens that is stopped to the correct exposure would remove at least one variable. The longer the exposure the better is also a step in the right direction as well.

09-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Manual focus/aperture lenses, manual exposure mode, 1/30th second shutter or slower, apertures wider than f8.0, ND filtration, all in-camera processing off eg. highlight tone priority, peripheral illum. correction, auto lighting correction, etc.

Software: GBDeflicker. 15-day full trial.

robotsound
01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I've done successful time lapses with Canon DSLR cameras and Canon lenses. I agree with the previous poster. Manual everything is the way to go. I've never had any problems this way.

I did read on a stop motion animation forum that some people even had problems with flicker using all manual mode with the Canon lenses. I think it's because the camera stops the iris down from full open to the chosen setting right before the shutter opens, and then resets after. One solution they found was to use manual Nikon lenses, since with those you set the aperture manually by turning a ring on the lens itself, and the camera never moves it.

ROCKMORE
01-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Manual focus/aperture lenses, manual exposure mode, 1/30th second shutter or slower, apertures wider than f8.0, ND filtration, all in-camera processing off eg. highlight tone priority, peripheral illum. correction, auto lighting correction, etc.

Software: GBDeflicker. 15-day full trial.

Good one

skylaird
01-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Hello allahkaram, London calling.

I've just seen your time lapse video footage, and I'm afraid it's the clouds that have caused your flickering effect. It's not a bad thing, and you can see it in many other time lapse examples. You will get a better result on an overcast or a sunny day, when the light levels will remain constant for longer.

LORD

Jooaquin
01-09-2012, 08:04 AM
I've done successful time lapses with Canon DSLR cameras and Canon lenses. I agree with the previous poster. Manual everything is the way to go. I've never had any problems this way.

I did read on a stop motion animation forum that some people even had problems with flicker using all manual mode with the Canon lenses. I think it's because the camera stops the iris down from full open to the chosen setting right before the shutter opens, and then resets after. One solution they found was to use manual Nikon lenses, since with those you set the aperture manually by turning a ring on the lens itself, and the camera never moves it.

RobotSound! that's very interesting! I'm editing a stop motion that I directed and I'm suffering the flickering all around! I'm trying to correct it with the GBDeflickr but I would like to know more about it to prevent it next time! Can you provide me the link of that stop motion forum thread with the canon lenses issue please?

robotsound
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't remember the exact thread, but I read it a few years ago somewhere on the stopmotionanimation.com (http://www.stopmotionanimation.com) forums.

If memory serves correctly, I also remember reading somewhere that The Corpse Bride was shot with Canon 5D's and Nikon lenses, partly because the Canon cameras seemed to have less flicker issues than the Nikons, but they already had a $70,000 investment in Nikon lenses.

Other things that could potentially affect flicker would be florescent lighting.

I will say that I have never personally encountered the flicker issue during my limited stop motion tests. This has been true using a Canon 10D and 30D, with Canon lenses, under both CFL and home tungsten lighting.

Good luck!

Jooaquin
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks robotsound! Your thread is getting me closer to the issue. I've used Fresnels lights that aren't supposed to flicker, but in many shots I have flicker. The GBdeflicker pluggin is working great so far. But i will look up in that stopmotion forum the lens issue before I invest in other canon lenses that could bring me this problem.
Thank you very much!