PDA

View Full Version : superflat settings but different results!!!

allahkaram
08-20-2010, 11:50 PM
I shoot my pictures and videos in superflat settings. Videos came out noisier than usual event if I'm at 200 iso and a well lit room and as far as picture they look just like the standard settings. They look brighter on the camera LCD but when capture them in lightroom they look dark as were taken on standard settings. Why???

TooTallTim
08-21-2010, 03:59 AM
It is literally impossible for us to give you an answer to this as we havent seen the lighting where you were filiming or examples of the dark results. They might look bright on the LCD because the LCD brightness was turned up, could be anything. Did you check the histogram in photo mode before hand to see what your exposure was?

allahkaram
08-21-2010, 09:07 AM
It is literally impossible for us to give you an answer to this as we havent seen the lighting where you were filiming or examples of the dark results. They might look bright on the LCD because the LCD brightness was turned up, could be anything. Did you check the histogram in photo mode before hand to see what your exposure was?

the brightness was set to normal. I will post some screen grabs tonight... Thanks for the input though...

draven4
08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
When you say superflat do you mean you are using the picture style superflat or are you just saying you are shooting flat with something like standard with the contrast and sharpness turned down all the way?

As I've said before and many will tell on these forums.... superflat (the picture style) is really bad to use. Try a search and you'll see.

hyalinejim
08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Lightroom won't use Canon's picture styles for RAW photos, it applies the default Adobe settings for the 5D Mk II.

If you open your RAW photos in DPP, then the superflat profile will be applied.

I also would advise staying away from the superflat style for video. Better to shoot on Neutral with contrast at a minimum.

If you want to get a flat look in Lightroom, set contrast at the minimum and/or use a linear curve or inverted S curve.

allahkaram
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Lightroom won't use Canon's picture styles for RAW photos, it applies the default Adobe settings for the 5D Mk II.

If you open your RAW photos in DPP, then the superflat profile will be applied.

I also would advise staying away from the superflat style for video. Better to shoot on Neutral with contrast at a minimum.

If you want to get a flat look in Lightroom, set contrast at the minimum and/or use a linear curve or inverted S curve.

Thank you so much.

jambredz
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
yes if u want a flat look. go with neutral dialed down. sharpness all the way down...contrast all the way down and saturation 2 notches down. superflat sucks

jambredz
08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
neutral dialed down and after grading

allahkaram
08-25-2010, 10:14 AM
neutral dialed down and after grading

THanks...

ThisHideousReplica
08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Can someone give a really quick one sentence explanation for why superflat / marvel cine et al sucks? I'm guessing its either:

a) throws the skin tones off too much or
b) requires more pushing and pulling during grading than these media files can handle

I realize that I could search the forums but I'm too lazy and too scared of wading through page after page of arguing and histrionics. Thanks in advance!

jambredz
08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
well "A" is correct i know that for sure.

Derkoi
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Can someone give a really quick one sentence explanation for why superflat / marvel cine et al sucks?

I found it too hard to get skin tones back to how i wanted them, too much unnecessary adjustments to get ultimately the same look as with the Neutral + contrast, sharpness and saturation reduction in camera.

AGMedia
08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
yes if u want a flat look. go with neutral dialed down. sharpness all the way down...contrast all the way down and saturation 2 notches down. superflat sucks

In my experience -- the above quote is exactly correct.

"superflat" and that "marvel" thing were awful. They're not truly expanding dynamic range, and you'll end up spending your "color correction" time trying to fix skin tones -- with only a certain percentage of success.

jonE5
08-27-2010, 09:47 AM
jambredz, i am really diggin your grading, can you give us some hint as to what you used and what you did?

jambredz
09-10-2010, 08:45 AM
jambredz, i am really diggin your grading, can you give us some hint as to what you used and what you did?

Sorry for the late response...this was done in premiere cs4 using the three way colour corrector, brightness and contrast and tint to desaturate it. Honestly i just played around with it till i got the look i liked :)