PDA

View Full Version : Issue with 7d audio sync!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronster
08-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey all,

So I shot a short film on my 7d and noticed something very weird about the audio.

The audio is 2 frames off consistently throughout all my footage.

I did a slate clap before all the takes. When I watched the slate clap frame by frame, I noticed I would hear the audio clap noise, but the clapper wasn’t making contact with slate until two frames later.

I would advance it two frames and then I would see the actual contact of the slate in the video. The subsequent dialogue would be slightly out of sync.

Basically the Audio is 2 frames ahead of the video.

Just for comparison, I shot a clap slate on my HVX and the sync was perfect.

A friend of mine who shot a feature on his 7D noticed the same thing.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a problem with all 7Ds? If anyone has any footage handy with a clap slate, you may wanna check and see. Go frame by frame in final cut and listen to when the clap noise happens and see if the clapper is actually making contact with the slate, or if its delayed.

Its very subtle....but I was a bit shocked.

Ronster

Keeganxt
08-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Haven't heard of that...but sounds easy enough to fix, though a pain.

Ronster
08-24-2010, 01:24 AM
No one else has experienced this? I need to update my firmware...wondering if that could be the issue...has anyone used a slate with their 7d?

bill totolo
08-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Make sure your frame offset is set to zero in FCP.

Ronster
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
i have never had that issue and when I bring in hvx footage it is perfect...I don't think that is it....never touched that setting and everything else I shot is in perfect sync....

I miss having someone like Barry Green to turn to when I had Panasonic questions...are there no Canon 7d/5d guru's out there?

shoguncdn
09-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I have the same problem with my T2i after converting it with MPEG streamclip. Before the conversion the clip plays fine, but after I have the same 2 frame sync issue. At first I thought I was just tired but its definately there. On another thread someone suggested it might be due to choosing 23.9xx frames vs 24 frames when converting or something to that effect. I am going to test it and report back.