PDA

View Full Version : JESUS how to RENDER 90 minutes?!

Voytek_Stitko
02-16-2005, 12:20 PM
I will have a final cut of my feature in a few days.

I work on my laptop which is not too fast, so:

HOW TO RENDER my AVI files to MPEG 2 (for DVD) when the
total time of the feature is 90 minutes? And if I want to burn a DVD should I render AUDIO and VIDEO file as MPEG 2 ? I heard that you have to render AUDIO separately from VIDEO track? I am going to use DVD authoring software which comes with VEGAS.

Thanks,

Voytek

PS I cant imagine how long it will take for my computer to render it if I will just ask him to render 90 minutes at once? Probably it will crash or someting>.....

kappa22
02-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Yep, that's a big'un all right. The only thing I can really tell you here (not being a Vegas user) is don't apply any multiplexer to the output streams when you render. This will keep the audio and video streams seperate and maintain a higher quality when you finally go to author it.

krestofre
02-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Also, if you have the capability, you should encode the audio to AC3. Encoding the audio to MPEG will limit the compatability of the DVD.

The amount of time it takes to encode depends a lot on your processor, but the software you're using also has an effect. Some encoders are faster than others. I'm afraid I haven't used the software that comes with Vegas, so I can't speak to that, but I thought it'd throw it out there in case it's helpful.

I've encoded longer segments of video on my laptop (and old 700mhz Celeron) and it was more than up to the task. It takes a really long time, but I doubt that you'll see any system crashes.

Hope that helps.

Chris

kappa22
02-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, during the time I spent with Vegas, I noticed that the renderer was abysmally slow compared to PPro, especially with layers... don't know how it well works for you though.

Voytek_Stitko
02-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Lets say I will render 90 minutes as MPEG 2 and than burn VCD...Is VCD with the movie rendered in MPEG 2 (audio and video rendered together) much MUCH worse than DVD with audio rendered separately (as AC3) from video?

And can I do this AC3 render of my audio stream in Vegas 4.0?

krestofre
02-18-2005, 04:12 PM
The VCD spec doesn't allow MPEG-2 video, only MPEG-1, and yes it is MUCH MUCH worse than a DVD. I have a VCD of Raiders of the Lost Ark and I sware that at some points Harrison Ford's head is just one big pixel.

You could use SVCD which uses MPEG-2, however you'll never ever fit 90 minutes on a SVCD. More like 15 or 20. Also, neither VCD nor SVCD allow for AC3 audio, just MPEG.

As far as Vegas encoding AC3 I couldn't tell you. Maybe a Vegas user will chime in, or you could post to the Vegas forum. If you don't have any way to convert to AC3, then you should use PCM audio (A.K.A. uncompressed WAV) for you DVD audio to ensure maximum compatability, but that will hurt you in the space arena.

Hope that helps.

Chris