PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird in Slo-Mo with a Macro Lens

tflak
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
This is the first thing I've shot with the hack. A little disappointed with some vertical banding, but I don't think it would really be noticeable unless you were looking for it. Vimeo accentuated it a bit too.

Used "C" settings and 720p at 1/125 conformed to 23.98 wirh Cinema Tools.

Lenses used were a Zeiss Ikon 100mm f/2.0 Makro Planar, and the Olympus 35-100mm f/2.0 Zuiko.

Have been looking at this for so long that I can't objectively judge the quality. Really anxious to see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

EightiesBaby
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Wow, very impressive sir!

diego1235467
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Awesome.

GRENCH
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Wait a minute. Is that the same bird after the dissolve filled up on water? Nice!

alignment1
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
A little disappointed with some vertical banding, but I don't think it would really be noticeable unless you were looking for it.

I wouldn't be worried about it man- it looks real good. That looks like compression banding. You're WAY too close to your monitor dude:Drogar-Dolar(DBG):......no worries I am guilty of the same....

Seriously on first look- you've got a beautiful image there- now get some sleep:beer:

MattinSTL
08-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Very cool.

Funny... deja-vu... I've been shooting hummingbirds yesterday and today. I got some decent stuff... but it's hard to really nail the focal plane... I got the head razor sharp, but he kept landing one side or another of the flower... so the body never got razor sharp. I may try again tomorrow. I love the second half of the video where the entire bird is sharp...

When I say deja-vu... that's an aspects (standard, not "fancy") or droll yankees hummingbird feeder, isn't it?

I don't have one of those, yet, but I'm ordering one after doing some research... anyway... hummingbirds... yes, very cool. When you see a compilation video of the GH13 within the next 2 weeks you'll know my stuff was already shot... not based on this. :)

Jeezus... it's 9p central.. the next episode of Sunny in Philadephia starts... and Dennis is arguing with Charlie that he's going to get a hummingbird as a pet... I'm talking RIGHT NOW... is this the matrix or what?!~

Isaac_Brody
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice shots.

Stephen Mick
08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Looks really good. Nice work! I would have liked to have seen a slightly higher shutter speed. Those wings are moving so fast it might be cool to have a bit more "freeze" on the action.

Oh, and your taste in lenses is strong. Good glass there.

HHL
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Incredible. It made me smile. It made me want to shoot more footy. :) Congrats.

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Wow, very impressive sir!

Hey, thanks EightiesBaby!

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Awesome.

Really glad you liked it, diego. Thanks!

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Wait a minute. Is that the same bird after the dissolve filled up on water? Nice!

Thanks...same bird. Having him all puffed up like that is maybe why I finally managed to get decent focus on a whole bird.

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't be worried about it man- it looks real good. That looks like compression banding. You're WAY too close to your monitor dude:Drogar-Dolar(DBG):......no worries I am guilty of the same....

Seriously on first look- you've got a beautiful image there- now get some sleep:beer:

Thanks for the comforting thoughts on the banding. Pixel peeping is a curse isn't it?

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Very cool.

Funny... deja-vu... I've been shooting hummingbirds yesterday and today. I got some decent stuff... but it's hard to really nail the focal plane... I got the head razor sharp, but he kept landing one side or another of the flower... so the body never got razor sharp. I may try again tomorrow. I love the second half of the video where the entire bird is sharp...

When I say deja-vu... that's an aspects (standard, not "fancy") or droll yankees hummingbird feeder, isn't it?

I don't have one of those, yet, but I'm ordering one after doing some research... anyway... hummingbirds... yes, very cool. When you see a compilation video of the GH13 within the next 2 weeks you'll know my stuff was already shot... not based on this. :)

Jeezus... it's 9p central.. the next episode of Sunny in Philadephia starts... and Dennis is arguing with Charlie that he's going to get a hummingbird as a pet... I'm talking RIGHT NOW... is this the matrix or what?!~

Amen...the focal plane is a real killer isn't it?! I shot literally hours of footage to get anything in decent focus. My Zeiss is 1:1 so I needed to get to within about 12-14 inches for that framing. And even at f/22 my DOF would only be around 1/4 inch at that distance. Was starting to get some noise at anything over 800 ISO, so I limited it to that and ended up shooting with an aperture of around 4.8 to 5.6 most of the time because I was somewhat limited to the times of day I could shoot. Which meant my DOF was pretty much flat lined most of the time.

Good eye - yes, that's an Aspect 143 also known as the HummZinger Excel. Great simple design as it's very easy to fill and clean. I did a bunch of research before buying mine too and couldn't be more pleased with it. Mine is a small one with only six feeding stations, but I rarely have more than one bird at a time. I did end up blocking all but one hole so I could be sure where they'd land, and even finally steadied it using a wimberly plamp in some of the shots.

Haha..matrix for sure - love Sunny in Philadelphia. Usually watch them on disc after the fact so I'll make sure to catch the hummer episode.

Oh yeah, I'll be watching for your footage - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :thumbsup:

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice shots.

Thanks, Isaac!

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Looks really good. Nice work! I would have liked to have seen a slightly higher shutter speed. Those wings are moving so fast it might be cool to have a bit more "freeze" on the action.

Oh, and your taste in lenses is strong. Good glass there.

Appreciate the compliment, Stephen! I know just enough about the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture to barely get by. I read about the 180 degree shutter and how doubling is best. For example, 120 would be ideal up from 60, but we only have 125 as a choice. I'm a little clueless on the best shutter speeds for slo-mo other than 1/125. Would you go to 1/250 next or would 160 or 200 be okay?

And that brings me to the effect on DOF when raising the shutter speed. As I commiserated in my reply to MattinSTL, the shallow DOF is a real bear when shooting something like a hummingbird. And wouldn't raising the shutter speed necessitate using a higher ISO (was already at 800) or opening up the aperture - i.e. even shallower DOF?

You know, after having read Barry's thread on video sharpness regarding lenses used, I was frankly a bit disheartened at having this great glass and maybe it not really making a difference. Although I still feel bokeh and colour counts for something. Am wondering how the hack might affect that testing now, if at all. Barry?

tflak
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Incredible. It made me smile. It made me want to shoot more footy. :) Congrats.

Glad it made you smile...does the same for me. :)

MattinSTL
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for following up again! (inc. the feeder info/confirmation)

I tried again today... I'm using an FD 200mm w/ 2x vivitar adapter. With that combo I'm getting in the zone of your frame, but can't get as close. I'm actually about 6' from the bird though... and my DOF is still super-tight... it's hard to nail it.

I'm really glad you told everybody how hard it is to get these shots. I've been working at it for 3 separate days now. I'm trying to get some good high-shutter stuff (1000-1300), but on my cam 1600 ISO has more bands then woodstock... totally worthless on a TV.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
This is the first thing I've shot with the hack. ....

Completely awesome footage! Thanks for posting this!

properniceinnit
08-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Nice one mate, I know exactly what you mean by not being able to judge for yourself as you've been looking at it for too long! But your judgement is fine :-)

averan
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
i liked the 2nd half better. better color saturation, little sharper.
what did you do differently?

tflak
08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
First off, I'm sure you guys are thankful I finally took the time to combine my replies so you don't have to scroll through an endless string of my avatar. :) Sorry about that in my previous posts.

Thanks for following up again! (inc. the feeder info/confirmation)

I tried again today... I'm using an FD 200mm w/ 2x vivitar adapter. With that combo I'm getting in the zone of your frame, but can't get as close. I'm actually about 6' from the bird though... and my DOF is still super-tight... it's hard to nail it.

I'm really glad you told everybody how hard it is to get these shots. I've been working at it for 3 separate days now. I'm trying to get some good high-shutter stuff (1000-1300), but on my cam 1600 ISO has more bands then woodstock... totally worthless on a TV.

Have you had any luck with this yet? And that's pretty much what it comes down to -- luck. It's a matter of simply shooting enough footage to capture that moment where the bird just happens to be in the exact place to be in focus. Can be very frustrating.

Completely awesome footage! Thanks for posting this!

Thanks, Peter.

The response to this footage has been very gratifying. I was excited when I first bought the GH1, but never imagined it would be capable of the type of things people have posted since Vitaliy did his incredible hack. I'm adding to the chorus of those who can't thank Vitaliy enough, and all those who have helped and continue to help test it.

Nice one mate, I know exactly what you mean by not being able to judge for yourself as you've been looking at it for too long! But your judgement is fine :-)

Great to hear! Thanks.

i liked the 2nd half better. better color saturation, little sharper.
what did you do differently?

Might be due to a couple of things. As far as sharpness, the 1st part was with the Zeiss 100mm at about 12-14 inches away and the DOF was maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Therefore, very little of the bird was in sharp focus.

I'm pretty sure the 2nd part was with the Zuiko 35-100 at full zoom. Hard to remember since I shot so much footage. Anyway, that lens has a minimum focal distance of around 4.6 feet and the DOF seems a bit deeper in that part.

As for the saturation, I was noticing some vertical banding in the 1st part so I had the levels pretty much cranked when I color corrected it to help hide the banding. But I lowered the mids a bit in the 2nd half to allow the partial sunlight playing on the bird to show up better, and that probably helped the overall saturation in that part. A bit more contrast with the sun and the shadows too which gives it a deeper feel maybe.