PDA

View Full Version : 7D RED ONE (non MX) and 7D Mixed in short Film -- Have at it

Kholi
08-09-2010, 05:38 PM
http://vimeo.com/13422656

Short Film for DVXuser's WESTFEST. I suggest all of the filmmakers here go and check out THRILLFEST and enter! It helps to push your boundaries to create something great, and everyone is welcome, all cameras etc.

We made vimeo staff pick and are now on the front page.

Enjoy

Kamizanate
08-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Really enjoyed it. The performances were spot on, the choreography wasn't bad, sound design was great, and the main character was pretty bad ass.

You captured some great backlight on the actors during their treck to find the bank money.

Great job overall. Where was this shot, and on what kind of budget?

sacredhill
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I'd like to know which parts were shot on the 7D? Btw it looked awesome!

jambredz
08-09-2010, 09:42 PM
you shot this Kholi?

this was really nicely shot...sound was very good also.

wannabeapilot
08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
really really good!

Kholi
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Really enjoyed it. The performances were spot on, the choreography wasn't bad, sound design was great, and the main character was pretty bad ass.

You captured some great backlight on the actors during their treck to find the bank money.

Great job overall. Where was this shot, and on what kind of budget?

Vasquez Rocks and in our Office. The Campfire Scene is actually just dirt on the floor of our office kitchen and comped into some still photographs. I shouldn't say "just" as it took Sam a fair amount of work to complete that shot.

The budget was super tiny, maybe two to three thousand for everything, including costume, permits, etc.

Thanks for the compliments.

Kholi
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I'd like to know which parts were shot on the 7D? Btw it looked awesome!

The most obvious stuff is actually 7D. Which falls at the end. Some of the inserts when the lead falls to the ground, the bank money being carried off into the sunset, and the handheld travelling shots.

Basically anything that doesn't look soft and true anamorphic.

Thanks for watching!

Kholi
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
you shot this Kholi?

this was really nicely shot...sound was very good also.

Yes sir. Thanks very much, Jam. Will pass on sound compliments to Jeff.

Kholi
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
http://rainfallfilms.com/projects/thedamagedone/ - Here's the info page for the short.

jambredz
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
question...why mix 7d and red (even though it totally works). But what was the reason? Just for kicks?

Kholi
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Literally because we had to, actually. The anamorphicswerent avail.

HHL
08-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Geez Kholi. Where to start? ...OK....so your Momma is ugly and you smell like old socks! But DANG can you INSPIRE!!

My daughter (11 years old) watched this with me last night and she says to me, "Dad...we need to start shooting movies WITH STORIES like THIS...instead of just shooting footage...I have some ideas..." I told her about the next DVXFEST and she stayed up late writing down her ideas. Looks like I'm entering. THANKS ALOT KHOLI!! :( (lol)

Honestly....this makes me want to make my own UNIVERSE....as in make my own short film. (No pressure now that my daughter will compare ours to your work....THANKS ALOT KHOLI!! :( lol))

And forget that first part...I meant your Momma said YOU'RE UGLY....and you still smell like socks!

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

bill totolo
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Looks great. The 7D looks very sharp, did the footage undergo any sharpening or noise reduction?

Well done, and thanks in advance.

Kholi
08-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Totally forgot about this thread... sorry guys.

HHL -- Haha! I'm glad that your daughter's given you some ideas to start narrative. Rock it out of the park for next fest. It's THRILLFEST! I think, despite having NO time to do so, I am going to put one in.

Bill -- The 7D footage is all at the end, actually. There's no sharpening going on and on a large screen I can see the softness, however, because the RED's got Anamorphics on it, they actually match a bit better.

There wasn't any sharpening added (I shoot with Sharpeness dialed all the way down) or noise reduction. The footage, in comparison, does have a much more artificial look to it when mixed. For me, it's just how the Canons are.

Shooting with an MKIV + 600mm Canon lens, as I viewed the image on a 17" Panasonic monitor while rolling, I noticed that the image is just very soft and "crunchy" at times. Even with everything dialed out.

I suppose I've become used to RED and GH13 so much that it's foreign.

Thanks for all compliments, guys.

afcurry
08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
That was very well done, I enjoyed it!

speedjunkie
08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Saw my boy Camden Toy in there.. Great Actors, always adds to the Picture. Great story too

Jordan Scott Price
08-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Holy crap.

This was awesome!

Fantastic throwback to Westerns without the cheesy dialog or the corny love stories. Your lead was phenomenal, too.

I'd say these are my favorite shots: The campfire Two Shot; the CU where he pulls out the handkerchief, a little blur was great foreshadowing to him almost feinting; and the closing Wide.

This short was inspiring :D

speedjunkie
08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I for a second there thought your lead was Christian bale.. I was Holy Stuff whats your Budget.. Lol

Kholi
08-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Haha! Yeah, a lot of people say that he looks like Bale in this short. I don't disagree, especially when he's all dirtied-up.

Holy crap.

This was awesome!

Fantastic throwback to Westerns without the cheesy dialog or the corny love stories. Your lead was phenomenal, too.

I'd say these are my favorite shots: The campfire Two Shot; the CU where he pulls out the handkerchief, a little blur was great foreshadowing to him almost feinting; and the closing Wide.

This short was inspiring :D

Thanks heaps, Mr. Price is it? You can check out how the campfire scene was done here: http://rainfallfilms.com/projects/thedamagedone/

Needless to say, it's actually a setup in our once-was Office Kitchen. =P Boy, that was fun.

The CU of the Hankerchief is actually a 7D shot.