PDA

View Full Version : How to Edit DSLR Footage in Premiere Pro CS4 without NeoScene

Taky
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I wasn't ready to upgrade to CS5 yet .. and not sure if I want to spend $99 for NeoScene. Here's my approach to edit DSLR clips in Premiere CS4.

How to Edit DSLR Footage in Premiere Pro CS4 | L.A. Color Blog (http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=118)

with the help of the free Matrox I-Frame HD codec as intermediate codec. =)

jambredz
08-08-2010, 08:22 PM
pretty kool. thanks. i will try it out...cuz i have been using avid dnxhd with mpegstreamclip and it still doesnt edit smoothly for some reason. I will try this. is this codec visually lossless ie...good quality?

Taky
08-08-2010, 08:26 PM
The Matrox codec is not a lossless codec. But it is professional made by Matrox to be used with their products. The quality is pretty good! They used to lock the HD codecs but now it's free to use. I have a pretty smooth scrubbing and editing with this setup =)

Also, if you want more "original quality", you can do the bait and switch method. Right before you export, relink all the .avi file to the original .mov file then render. That will be getting the highest possible quality from the original clips.

jambredz
08-08-2010, 08:52 PM
thanks for the reply....how exactly do u relink the clips?

Taky
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
There're two ways.

Outside premiere, rename the folder holding all the .avi files, or just move them somewhere else. Then the next time you load that project, Premiere will ask you to locate each of the missing file. Then you point it to the original .mov file.

Inside Premiere, you can right click on the .avi file and select "Make Offline". Then right click again to select "Link Media". that will do too!

If you are going that route, you can simply transcode your source file to something like DV avi that you can work off any computer or laptop. I have been doing Proxy editing so I can edit rough cuts with my laptop sitting out at a starbucks =)

http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=9

jambredz
08-08-2010, 10:37 PM
koolnes. thanks man

Taky
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
You are welcome! I have been googling on a solution. But most of them I found are referring to upgrading to CS5, or buying NeoScene.. or the free dnxhd. So I tried Matrox and it works very well for me =)

slavo
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks Taky

http://www.vimeo.com/14295134

Taky
08-20-2010, 01:54 PM
slavo, what would be your conclusion? I can't tell much difference between the first and second clip.

Also, it's difficult to judge based on a still. It'll also be easier to have all 3 of them showing side by side. Is it possible?

berylium
08-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Taky:

Thanks for very viable solution.

In my case, using Avid DNXHD always resulted in footage that is perceptably lighter. Am I doing anything wrong?

jambredz
08-20-2010, 02:33 PM
yes the gamma does shift with dnxhd

Taky
08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I haven't tried other method or the Avid dnxhd. I have been using Matrox products for years so I have confident in their intermediate codec. Well, it's free too! No complain =)

slavo
08-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I got older computer and using Matrox codec (avi files) seems to keep Premiere much happier. I didn't like gamma shift on MPEG Steamclip so Matrox I Frame HD is in my opinion a winner.

Side by side coming up later today.

jambredz
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
is matrox 10 bit colour? Dnxhd is

maranfilms
08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmm, this is a great little workaround, just wondering why your unable to edit native avchd files in cs4. I use neo scene, but have done it without in cs4 using their avchd preset. Is it because the encoded files are easier to work with?

slavo
08-20-2010, 03:43 PM
yes there is setting for 8-bit and 10- bit color
more info:
http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/windows/vfw_software_codecs/doc/en_Matrox_VFW_Software_Codecs_10.pdf

jambredz
08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
hmm..i went into the advanced settings and changed it to 10 bit...in the codec settings (dc precision) whatever that is.

jambredz
08-20-2010, 04:47 PM
question...the 8 ans 10 bit is for uncompressed hd codec...however the link used matrox mpeg2-1 frame hd. which one should be used?

(i used the mpeg2 -1 frame hd and went into the advanced settings and changed 8- 10 bit underd dc precision...ut i;m sure thats not it)

edit: screw uncompressed lol...way 2 huge.

Taky
08-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Hmm, this is a great little workaround, just wondering why your unable to edit native avchd files in cs4. I use neo scene, but have done it without in cs4 using their avchd preset. Is it because the encoded files are easier to work with?

CS4 can edit AVCHD natively. However, those .mov files from 5D, 7D, T2i are all H.264. CS5 supports editing H.264 natively. So for now before I upgrade to CS5, this is a good workaround.

ROCKMORE
08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
"Make Offline".
"Link Media".

Good call. So freakin simple.

Jordan Scott Price
08-20-2010, 06:10 PM
There're two ways.

Outside premiere, rename the folder holding all the .avi files, or just move them somewhere else. Then the next time you load that project, Premiere will ask you to locate each of the missing file. Then you point it to the original .mov file.

Inside Premiere, you can right click on the .avi file and select "Make Offline". Then right click again to select "Link Media". that will do too!

If you are going that route, you can simply transcode your source file to something like DV avi that you can work off any computer or laptop. I have been doing Proxy editing so I can edit rough cuts with my laptop sitting out at a starbucks =)

http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=9

This is exactly what I do. My laptop is two years old and wasn't the kingpin of processing power when I bought it, so I have to edit LQ first.

However, I do all my color correction on the HQ clips after I Link Media. That's the only way I can really get the fullest (possible) range of color on my laptop.

If, for some reason, I need to make more cuts while working on the HQ files, I just do what you did: "Make Offline," "Link Media" with the LQ files, make the cuts, and then reverse it to start color correcting again.

So awesome!

Taky
08-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I have been doing that since Premiere 4.2 (not Premiere Pro CS4). It's good I don't have to tie to my desktop edit station all the time. I can be just working on a laptop sitting in starbucks.

Jordan Scott Price
08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I have been doing that since Premiere 4.2 (not Premiere Pro CS4). It's good I don't have to tie to my desktop edit station all the time. I can be just working on a laptop sitting in starbucks.

And who doesn't do that, right?!

The Bucks is where the movies is made, fo'sho.

slavo
08-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Side by side comparison of Canon T2i/550D footage, transcoded footage using Adobe Media Encoder + Matrox MPEG-2 I Frame and MPEG Steamclip + Avid DNxHD.

http://www.vimeo.com/14305277

bang
08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
i just tried those matrox codecs, i must say it really looks great, just a first test, but i think im gona use it.
i couldnt get dnxhd to work with some script i run with virtualdubmod.
but the matrox codecs are working fine for me too.

Luis_
09-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Thank you for posting this info.

bang
03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
im getting large green banding while using matrox codecs when i try to resize my original footage.
doing this because i shoot anamorphic. it seems it dont like any other size than standard HD size ? or im doing something wrong ?
i'd love to get the best quality file and the right format for grading,
how should i do this ?

jambredz
03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
care to post and example? I've never had a prob grading matrox HD. and by shoot anamorphic do u mean you use anamorphic lenses or you crop in post? I cropped and graded this with matrox.

http://vimeo.com/19851873

bang
03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
yes using anamorphic 1.5x lens

what im trying to do is preparing some shots for editing at best possible quality.

for now im shooting at 720p, so i wanted to stretch to 1920/720 in an AE composition of that same size.
but it all give me the same green band on the right side.

if i put it in a 1920/1080 composition and render also at 1080 its works, but i do get the black bars on top and bottom of course. but thats not what i want :)
but i guess thats what i'll do and crop it for final output.

here a screenshot with the green side, plz dont mind the blury unsharp look :)

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/7654/dsc058420000502.png

when im trying to resize the output size with the matrox codecs i get all the right side of the footage green.

jambredz
03-05-2011, 09:28 PM
wow...no idea whats goin on there.. yeh u'd better just crop.