PDA

View Full Version : 550D Magic Lantern installation

ROCKMORE
08-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I haven't installed Tramm's 550D upgrade yet. I'd like to try the first version, but want to know if I decide it's not working perfectly, can I reset the camera to the default setting easily and delete the new upgrade from the camera's original software system.

Chris Johnston
08-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but, The first version doesn't do anything. It allows you to SEE the audio levels on the meter but not change anything about it.
Am I wrong?

BradM
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
So seeing the audio levels isn't something? Clearly that isn't part of the actual stock camera.

I would wait for the other stuff that's been available for the 5D to be included before bothering to use it. Tramm's stuff has always been really stable and functioning so when it comes, it will just work.

Chris Johnston
08-04-2010, 11:39 AM
So seeing the audio levels isn't something? Clearly that isn't part of the actual stock camera.

I would wait for the other stuff that's been available for the 5D to be included before bothering to use it. Tramm's stuff has always been really stable and functioning so when it comes, it will just work.

Again, I might be missing something but, I know that seeing the levels isn't part of the stock camera. My point is , what difference does that make? You can't (currently) adjust it, or turn off AGC, and the audio (as is) isn't really usable in a production environment.

The ONLY thing that would prompt you to install this is to help provide feedback to him so he can do his stuff. I'm familiar with the great work he's done on the ML 5 D and truely hope he can do his magic on the 550 (which I own) but this first version doesn't provide anything of use to a 550 owner. (as far as making your cam work better)

If he can get adjustable audio and AGC off, I'd be a VERY happy camper. Anything else (zebras, Histo, etc) is just icing on the cake for me.

kgimedia
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
If I did not use my T2i/550d several times a week for paid work I would be all over this. I beg anyone that has one and is in a "testing" phase or does not use it to make a living to try this Alpha and report issues. The more downloads and tests the better chance of getting the final version quickly and making this camera even better then it is right now.

ROCKMORE
08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but, The first version doesn't do anything. It allows you to SEE the audio levels on the meter but not change anything about it.
Am I wrong?

Maybe you missed my question, it was about installation and resetting the camera to default.

Chris Johnston
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Maybe you missed my question, it was about installation and resetting the camera to default.

No, I didn't miss it. I'm just not sure how easy that would be. He's not offering the default software load on his site because it copywrite by Canon and he doesn't (probably) want to get into trouble. I don't know if you can download the default load from the canon site, or if it's even possible to get it from them.

If I read correctly, he's already had over a hundred downloads of the software. I, like kgimedia, have to use this camera so I can't take the chance on such an early release. If he gets to a point where you can adjust audio and turn off AGC, then I might give it a try and start to contribute to the testing.

But, to answer your question, I don't think it's gonna be easy like a GH1.

(at least from what I read.) and it may not even be doable without a default rom dump.
I just don't know how much runs off the card and how much (if any) is updated on your camera.

But to quote from his site

THIS IS DANGEROUS PRE-ALPHA SOFTWARE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IT WILL MODIFY YOUR CAMERA. NO WARRANTY. NO SUPPORT.

ROCKMORE
08-04-2010, 08:51 PM
THIS IS DANGEROUS PRE-ALPHA SOFTWARE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IT WILL MODIFY YOUR CAMERA. NO WARRANTY. NO SUPPORT.

Thanks, that answers it.
That's why I've been continuing to rent an EX3 when I need audio, and waiting for the next 5D that will hopefully have audio control from Canon.
Software is a tricky issue. Even though Magic Lantern has worked well for many users, there have been a few reports of glitches in the system at times. Personally I can't afford to take those kinds of risks.
Tramm is a tech folk hero though, and responsible for pushing the camera makers to add software features faster than they would normally want to.