PDA

View Full Version : sync sound

WhiteMonkey
08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Hola. Would people describe their workflows with getting outboard audio synched with their onboard audio? After or before the edit? Premiere Pro CS5

jambredz
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
usually they use a clapper board of some kind. or just clap. something that will cause the audio to spike at the start and sometimes people also mark the end of each clip. when u go in edit and put the 2 audio tracks on the timeline,u line up the audio spikes of the 2 sounds. clearly both unboard and external audio ahve to be able to pick up the clap.

Mark the takes with some kinda of scene or take or number also at the start of each take so u know what track goes with what. I'm still trying to figure out how i'm gonna audibly mark takes for a run and gun type thing...its all kool when its a more managed shoot...i digress...

WhiteMonkey
08-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks but my question is about once you have the clips and the sound clips in the editor. Can you sync them before you use them in the timeline? Or are you forced to do it clip by clip in the timeline once the edit has been completed?

jambredz
08-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes u hav to do it in the editor clip by clip

WhiteMonkey
08-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I was afraid of that...

CDMI
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Just finished a short film where we did dual system sound.. here's our quick workflow:

On set we recorded sound on the camera for safety and a guide track. Main sound was recorded to a Zoom H4N. Before every take we ensured camera and sound were rolling (ie- "roll camera".. "camera rolling" .. "roll sound" .. "sound rolling"). We used a clapper for shot/take ID and for a sync sound. We write shot and take number, make sure the camera is shooting the slate, then have an assistant call out loudly and cleary "shot 3, take 4, mark" then close the slate, making the sound.

If you're doing a multi day shoot, it's really a good idea to sync your stuff up following every day of shooting. If you don't you're going to have tons of stuff to log/sync after. Import all your stuff into your editor, and then rename your video/audio tracks with shot and take numbers. Delete any stuff you know won't be used. Then to sync clips together, open the video up and mark the in point to where the clapper closes. Open the corresponding audio track and mark it's in point as the sound of the clapper closing. Now choose both clips in your bin and "merge" them. This will create a seperate clip containing your video and main audio. Your editor should use these merged clips to edit with. If you try and sync your main audio up AFTER the edit is done, then you've made yourself a lot of work..

Hope that helps..

WhiteMonkey
08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Searching all over Premiere for a "merge" function. Anyone?

Rakesh Jacob
08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
If you try and sync your main audio up AFTER the edit is done, then you've made yourself a lot of work..

Hope that helps..

Or whoever is going to help you, a lot of work he wasn't expecting this week LOL
It's all good though.

WhiteMonkey
08-03-2010, 07:28 AM
no one else recording outboard that can help. CDMI had the most, but I can find the merge function in Premiere. Is it not an option? How do you do it?

Rakesh Jacob
08-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Just switched to Premiere after years on Vegas, so I'm trying to figure it out to. Only thing I found is you can select a group of video and audio clips and nest them. Then they're in your bin as a nested sequence, which as far as I can tell is as good as having a sub clip or new clip.

Rakesh Jacob
08-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Been digging around on the web and "nested sequences" seems like the only way for now. Hope Adobe changes this, they are totaly killer for the playback and editing of native DSLR clips, so hopefully they'll realize how important being able to link sync sound to video is to us.