PDA

View Full Version : Over heating question - 7D

thebullfrog
07-24-2010, 09:46 AM
As many of you know, the 7D's have over heating issues if used for prolonged period of time (and under certain environments such as on a hot day)

Has anyone tried filming all day, straight through the overheating icon?

I know common sense says don't do it...but has anyone asked what the ramifications might be if you do such thing, without shutting the camera off to let it cool down.

In theory, would it be damaging the sensor? possibly corrupt the footage on the card?

I know it's a pain for the overheating icon to pop up in the middle of shooting something... especially if you're shooting an event, where you need the camera to be on almost constantly.

I had to film last night an A cappella performance in a theatre, with a packed crowd (which i think was one of the factors of the over heating, due to the heat being generated in the auditorium), and unfortunately i had to shut the camera off 3-4 times, which made me miss several performances, just so i can let the camera cool off.

Several times i would be filming and the icon popped up, but i couldn't stop filming since it was right in the middle of the performance...thankfully they were on average 5 mins long each but still.

Thanks!

Hope to hear some replies...

thekeygun
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm curious how hot the auditorium was? I would assume something like that would be air conditioned to the max.

J Davis
07-24-2010, 10:09 AM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216681
hope it helps

Abaddon
07-28-2010, 04:42 AM
I was filming outside last week and I got the overheating icon for the first time. I shot a few scenes even with it on and the footage was fine. I did shut down from time to time just to be safe.

Ruben Senderey
07-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Since the Firmware update we did not have any overheating signal,
even shooting outside in sunny south florida ;)

Paul Hudson
07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
I have swapped the cards out and that seemed to end the problem, and it is HOT in Arizona.