PDA

View Full Version : New Josh Rawiri Music Video Shot on GH1

powervideo
07-24-2010, 04:27 AM
This was shot in 1080 25P and 720 50P with Zeiss Contax lenses and the 20mm pancake. I used the C settings. We launched the video and single last night at a rooftop concert in Sydney. A couple of Fox producers came up to me and said they want to air it next week. Here's hoping...

http://vimeo.com/13542014

seanmcleod
07-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Damn dude, thats gorgeous... you've convinced me to through down the cash for a PL mount adapter. Beautiful with the new hack there is no way this doesn't look like some of the top digital cameras!

HDkilledFILM.
07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Dude, easily one of the best things I've seen shot on a gh1 period.

HDkilledFILM.
07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Damn dude, thats gorgeous... you've convinced me to through down the cash for a PL mount adapter. Beautiful with the new hack there is no way this doesn't look like some of the top digital cameras!

I don't think this is pl, I could be wrong but is this shot with c/y mount lenses?

rambooc1
07-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Wow Peter, absolutley beautiful, you obviously mastered the GH1 very quickly. What a great new Aussie talent Josh is. All the best with the video, hope to see it on TV.

Rambo

powervideo
07-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks very much everyone. The Zeiss primes I use were Contax C/Y mount lenses. I used a 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 and a 135mm 2.8 (I didn't end up using the shots from the 135. It didn't match well with the other Contax lenses)

I also used the 20mm pancake, but only a few shots - the wide jib of the cave at the start and the wide Glidecam shot in the forest. I had some card lockups with the 20mm in static wide shots in the forest, but otherwise it performed well.

90% of the clip is ungraded as shot in-camera with a handful of shots manipulated with a vignette or levels. I used a Kino Flo Diva 400 at half strength in the cave as a key along with a single Coolights LED600 for the light coming out of the back of the cave. But the main lighting level came from ten candles.

The camera coped pretty well but at high ASA settings, a fair bit of pattern noise has crept in.

steventimothy
07-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I love it - no colour timing! Your "sets" were so beautiful, and the lighting was done great, so why bother! Nice body paint job as well :-Love(DBG):

powervideo
07-24-2010, 05:38 PM
The cave is amazing. I had to keep the Kino very low so it wouldn't overpower the candles. Yeah the body painting took five hours, then Tess acted for another six hours in that freezing cave. You can see her breath in the early shots.

rambooc1
07-24-2010, 06:10 PM
What incamera settings Pete?

How much of the ""look"" came from the Primes? Obvious lighting played a big part.

mcgeedigital
07-24-2010, 06:30 PM
http://www.cmt.com/shared/promoimages/bands/s/scandal/the_warrior/320x240.jpg

Sean Jeong
07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
This is REALLY GREAT!
just noticed that his shirt was inside out :)

powervideo
07-25-2010, 03:34 AM
What incamera settings Pete?

How much of the ""look"" came from the Primes? Obvious lighting played a big part.

I think the primes have a lot to do with the look. I tried to shoot nearly every scene wide open - either f/1.4 or f/2.8 with ND's. The old Zeiss primes are very sharp and contrasty with good bokeh. They also focus in the "right" direction unlike Nikons.

I think I set the camera to "smooth" but everything was default I guess. 50th/sec for the 25P and 100th/sec for the 720 50P.

I hardly used any lighting. I used a single LED600 for the campfire guitar playing, and the LED backlight and Diva 400 in the cave. That's all.

rambooc1
07-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks Pete, was the campfire Pana 20mm f1.7 or the 28mm Zeiss?

Hope Josh does well, i love this style of music.

R

powervideo
07-25-2010, 04:06 AM
He plays a lot of heavier stuff too. I'll try and find a link for his music. The campfire was 28, 50 and 85. I'm going have to check in the morning if the wide was the 20mm. The wide Glidecam shots are on the 20mm as is the opening shot. I like the lens for much and it's fast.

One thing I am convinced with after this shoot. You should try to get the best possible "end-result" look in-camera. My feeling is that GH1 clips do not stand up to heavy grading, particulary low-light footage. You start pushing levels in post and the picture starts to break apart very quickly.

rambooc1
07-25-2010, 05:04 AM
The wide shot of the campfire (3 guys, glidecam/dolly) that was the one i thought was 20mm f1.7. I like it a lot, intend to pick one up in NY in a couple weeks from B and H.

Have you tried converting to cineform neoscene to edit, it should allow more latitude to push the levels?

R

renwag
07-25-2010, 06:58 AM
good work all round

Shinobi Productions
07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Amazing, very complete well done job by high standards.

steventimothy
07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
One thing I am convinced with after this shoot. You should try to get the best possible "end-result" look in-camera. My feeling is that GH1 clips do not stand up to heavy grading, particulary low-light footage. You start pushing levels in post and the picture starts to break apart very quickly.

If they get the MJPEG at 4:2:2 going a bit better that might allow for a nicer grade.

Anyway, good practice to shoot as close as possible to your final look anyway, as you've proved here. A nice, rich look, art directed & composed beautifully.

pjsssss
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Absolutely gorgeous stuff! The cave shots were especially amazing.

texasmfp
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
stunning color and clarity. a sub-1K camera body - unbelievable. Thanks. The only thing I can say that would be negative is that the few shots where he is "singing", the sound is not synched with the image. But that's gonna be true of any music vid which uses studio recordings made at another time than the image. cheers

EWS
07-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Great job all around. Those primes are amazing.
Josh has to be very proud of this.

powervideo
07-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Cheers. The Zeiss primes are the poor man's PL! If anyone is in Australia, Josh is just starting a four month tour. Dates here;

http://events.myspace.com/180794470/Events/1

rambooc1
07-31-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm gunna catch him at Noosa, love to shoot him live with the GH1 if he'll let me.

Chris Light
07-31-2010, 01:43 AM
i love this video. crisp, but not too crisp...camera movements pulled me in, kept me interested...what can i say, your use of the GH1 (hacked) is one of the best i've seen. then there's the music...wow...refreshing...in the digital age, it's great to hear something new (for me in the States), and organic sounding. great work sir.

Simon Höfer
07-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Makes me want to buy some more of those contax primes :) Already got the 85 1.4 and it is really great. Built like a tank and very smooth focus.

powervideo
07-31-2010, 02:05 AM
I'm gunna catch him at Noosa, love to shoot him live with the GH1 if he'll let me.

I'm sure he won't mind. He's the most open and friendly musician I've ever known and I've worked many "rock stars" in my past life. Mention me and I'm sure it will be cool. I've just been asked to do a metal clip for a new band so if I do it 'll definitely be using the GH1.

powervideo
07-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Makes me want to buy some more of those contax primes :) Already got the 85 1.4 and it is really great. Built like a tank and very smooth focus.

Definitely get the 50mm 1.4. It's great in conjunction with the 85. In fact if you just had the 28, 50 and 85 Zeiss Contax you could get away with shooting anything and have that great Zeiss look. Maybe the 7-14mm Pana or 20mm pancake for wides. The 21mm Zeiss Contax is just too damn expensive.

powervideo
07-31-2010, 02:17 AM
i love this video. crisp, but not too crisp...camera movements pulled me in, kept me interested...what can i say, your use of the GH1 (hacked) is one of the best i've seen. then there's the music...wow...refreshing...in the digital age, it's great to hear something new (for me in the States), and organic sounding. great work sir.

Thanks!!!! When you take on these jobs, you know they don't have much money, and you sort of remember your own situation when starting out, and you say "I'll give it a go". You can never fully realise your vision because of time and budget, but it's an opportunity to do whatever you want with the freedom of not having a agency or corporate client looking over your shoulder.
And the thrill of using a new camera ("you filmed it on that?!") is exhilarating and liberating. Because even though the GH1 is so small and to an outsider looks so simple to use, you know in your heart that's it's not easy to produce something beautiful.

powervideo
07-31-2010, 02:23 AM
For Contax users, consider the CameraQuest C/Y to 4/3 adaptor. I've tried several and this is the best one I've come across. You don't have to disengage the adaptor from the GH1 body to change lenses.

Chris Light
07-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Thanks!!!! When you take on these jobs, you know they don't have much money, and you sort of remember your own situation when starting out, and you say "I'll give it a go". You can never fully realise your vision because of time and budget, but it's an opportunity to do whatever you want with the freedom of not having a agency or corporate client looking over your shoulder.
And the thrill of using a new camera ("you filmed it on that?!") is exhilarating and liberating. Because even though the GH1 is so small and to an outsider looks so simple to use, you know in your heart that's it's not easy to produce something beautiful.

well said.

and i guess i forgot to mention, i'm a former somewhat successful musician (well, drummer...you decide if that qualifies haha), turned video guy...i've been on both sides of the camera, so there's much respect to be given to the artist, and the filmmaker when making a music video. turns out, you met a great new artist, and you filmed him very well...money or no money, that's a creative fair trade.

Simon Höfer
07-31-2010, 04:06 AM
The 21mm Zeiss Contax is just too damn expensive.

Yeah, I was looking looking for this lens when I was living in Hong Kong, but even there it was too damn expensive.

But Hong Kong is THE lens heaven! So many second hand shops! :)

Back to your video:
Not sure if anybody mentioned or noticed , but you've got a small masking error going on at 2:28 at the top right of the screen.

powervideo
07-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Yeah it's actually a flare or rather internal reflection from the 4x4 ND. I used one of those Indian matte boxes that doesn't quite mask the lens. I should fix that. Well spotted.

The 21mm Zeiss used price jumped when the 5D and 7D took off, but hopefully it will stabilise and reach a realistic price.

pjsssss
07-31-2010, 10:02 AM
I thought the video was tremendously well shot. It is what finally convinced me to get the GH1 (even though I was buying it for my film student daughter). The collaboration between you and the Musician produced a great video. I even bought the song off of iTunes.

AdrianF
07-31-2010, 10:53 AM
You really made the camera shine. Nice looking shoot.