PDA

View Full Version : I need a live sea lion...

capel
07-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes, you read that right. I'm planning on shooting a commercial for a contest in October and I need a live sea lion. Preferrably one that can bark on command. I've called evey animal rental place I can find here in LA but none of them have one.

I'm finding it kind of hard to believe that I can't rent a sea lion for a shoot in LA of all places. Anyone know of a place I could call? This animal is pretty central to the success of the project. Thanks for any help.

-Chris

Richard J. Johnson
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Did you try the zoo? Or the aquarium? There has to be some one some where who has one.

Blaine
07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Did you try Benay's Bird & Animal Source (http://www.benaysanimals.net/)? Their website claims to be able to get one.

Barry_Green
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Sea World.

capel
07-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried Sea World and they said they don't rent out their animals unless it's for something directly tied to promoting their park. I'm sure it would be the same with the zoo's and aquariums, but I'll give that a shot.

David G. Smith
07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
I love Blaine's link... their Sea Lion has "Credits"...

But the real question is... is it "Financial core"!

Doc Bernard
07-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd require headshots first. Maybe this particular "sea lion" is actually a seal pretending to be a sea lion.

Oh, and definitely hold a casting call. I'd pay to be there. LOL

Zissou
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
FLA or CALI?

i may be able to assist.

ChipG
07-24-2010, 12:52 AM
I'd be willing to audition for the part.

Blaine
07-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I'd require headshots first. Maybe this particular "sea lion" is actually a seal pretending to be a sea lion.

Oh, and definitely hold a casting call. I'd pay to be there. LOLBut it will work for fish...(I imagine Benay's gets a little more, though.)

Duke M.
07-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd go to Newport Beach back bay, or Monterey Bay in CA. The sealions tend to hang out on the docks. They sleep a lot, but they bark if they're alarmed or think you have fish. Don't get too close.

It might take all day to get the footage you want, then rotoscope the back ground out to create green screen footage. It will take some time, and have to be done frame by frame, but it can be done and its cheap.

capel
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
FLA or CALI?

i may be able to assist.

I'm in LA. Thanks for the offer. I'll shoot you a pm.

Also, that Benay's place left me a message saying they have one available. Still waiting to get a hold of them to find
out the price. Should be interesting.