PDA

View Full Version : 4Gb limit in SH mode

zigizigi
07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I got a GH1 that was hacked from the day one with fairly modest FHD/SH bitrates: 33 35 40. I've noticed recently that in SH mode the recording stops after the file size reaches 4Gb. I can record for hours in FHD mode though as the camera automatically splits the stream into 4Gb chunks.

Is this 4Gb stopping normal for stock SH mode as well or is it because of the hack? Can in be fixed by lowering the bitrates more towards the safe side?

zigizigi
07-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I investigated the issue a bit further. It turned out to be that whether the hacked camera will continue to record starting a new file or stop completely depends on the type of the scene.

In my FHD mode tests with the motorized panning head swaying back and forth GH13 always spans the clip onto the next file. The same happens when I shoot a windowsill flower with leaves waving in the wind on the blurred background.

But when I shoot a still scene where everything is in focus - a street with passing cars - it always stops at 3.99Gb. The same happens when I shoot the panning head test in low light.

It seems like GH13 cannot span the record if the scene has too much details in it. That is why constant panning or blurred background helps to pass the interfile border. No go for a sharp and still scene full of details.

I tried to lower the bitrate with zero success. I went down to MarekV's "perfect project" settings and still couldn't span the cars-in-the-street test. The only success I had in this test was with the stock settings.

Haven't tested SH mode this time but I guess I would have had even less success with continuous recording.

Jerware
07-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Am I understanding you correctly that both HD and SD modes exhibit this problem?

This is an important issue for me. I'm considering the GH1 for longform interviews with a single, locked down camera. As the only SLR with no limit on video length (thanks to tester13), it's the obvious choice. Can anyone else verify zigizigi's findings? It sounds strange, since the act of starting a new video clip requires the same functions of the camera/encoder regardless of video content.

ajcourtney
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
^^^agreed, if this is truly an issue, then this makes the GH1 and impossibility for me.

zigizigi
07-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Am I understanding you correctly that both HD and SD modes exhibit this problem?

There are FHD (1920x1080@24/25p) and SH (1280x720@50/60p) modes on GH1. I've made dozens of tests and both modes have problems with continuous recording on GH13 where FHD mode is less prone to it. The 100% reliable continuous recording is possible with stock settings in FHD mode (haven't tested stock settings in SH mode, though). But there is mud, you know

I used two SD cards marked as class 6 and class 10. Crystal Disk Mark reports the actual recording speed around 11 Mb/s for both of them. Perhaps a faster card could help to break the barrier. I, too, was hoping to use GH13 for shooting life performances and long interviews, that is the reason why I tested it extensively for that. As for now I would not rely on it for that purpose. At least with the cards I have. With the birates around 30-36 I get about 20 minutes of reliable non-stop recording. And that's it.

maxminoia
07-26-2010, 01:32 AM
In my experience is a card issue, I had problems with Transcend class 6 cards (stops recording in SH mode), now I use Panasonic gold cards without problems.

ajcourtney
07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
thanks for chiming in max

homanchoi
07-31-2010, 09:41 PM
I can confirm zigizigi's findings.

I am using Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s and the hacked GH13 always stop recording when the file reached 3.99G when I am filming "street with passing cars with trees and grass in the background" from tripod.

However, I never had problems with scenes that has less details e.g. dark background, panning on tripod ... that does not give a sharp image with lots of details. I even didn't have problems filming an indoor conference with hacked settings.

This sounds weird, but I remember reading from other posts in DVXuser that people are suspecting that there is an encoder bug involved.

Can any body else confirm my findings, or find out exactly what scenerio GH13 do not span to another file after 4G?

maxminoia - are you filming from tripod and shooting scenes with grass and trees ... etc?

rambooc1
07-31-2010, 09:56 PM
This is a firmware issue related to how the auto save/auto restart function behaves. It is restricted mostly to the 60/50fps mode and is also partly a card compatibility issue. (not necessarily card speed or rating)

We have the exact same problem with GoPro Cameras in R3 mode which is 50/60fps and a firmware fix has been made for it. I don't have full details yet but it's related to buffering as one file is closed and another one written. It's also common in small point and shoot cameras that record 720p 50/60fps, but doesn't usually rear it's ugly head as most people rarely record that long on a P and S and some are time limited anyway.

Try a different card, you will find it will restart ok on Kingston class 4 and Patriot class 6 cards, but there are others.

Rambo

zigizigi
08-01-2010, 01:46 AM
2 homanchoi

Are you talking about FHD or SH mode? And what settings do you use?

maxminoia
08-01-2010, 02:26 AM
maxminoia - are you filming from tripod and shooting scenes with grass and trees ... etc?
Yes, I filmed street with passing cars and trees and also a TV screen (MTV), in both cases the Transcend card fails and the Panny Gold not.My setting is 50,52,60.

rambooc1
08-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Guy's you're covering old ground. All these things have been tried and documented in past threads.

What we need here is a system where volunteer testers are assigned a particular task for testing and results posted in a controlled thread. Seems we are just running around in circles and keen testers who have already done significant work are dropping the ball.

Am i alone in this realization?

Rambo

homanchoi
08-01-2010, 08:19 AM
2 homanchoi

Are you talking about FHD or SH mode? And what settings do you use?

Both FHD and SH modes.

I have tried a, b and c suggested values in ptool as well as "perfect project" settings.

None of the hacked settings worked *if and only if* I shoot "street with passing cars with trees and grass in the background" on a tripod with intelligent mode, auto-focus, O.I.S. on with kit lens 14-140.

No problem at all if I use manual lens (Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 1:1.8/55 with an M42-m4/3 mount) for the same scene with hacked settings! I still haven't tested movie M mode with kit lens though.

Of course I tested unhacked firmware too -- that gave me no problem of file spanning for the same scene.

homanchoi
08-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Both FHD and SH modes.

I have tried a, b and c suggested values in ptool as well as "perfect project" settings.

None of the hacked settings worked *if and only if* I shoot "street with passing cars with trees and grass in the background" on a tripod with intelligent mode, auto-focus, O.I.S. on with kit lens 14-140.

No problem at all if I use manual lens (Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 1:1.8/55 with an M42-m4/3 mount) for the same scene with hacked settings! I still haven't tested movie M mode with kit lens though.

Of course I tested unhacked firmware too -- that gave me no problem of file spanning for the same scene.

One addition -- I didn't have Native 24p/25p checked either.

Koitz_roller
12-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi people,

I confirm this problem. My GH1 is patched with "40mbps lpowell High Reliability Patch", and I've recording some long videos (about 1 hour, static theatre scene) which they were splitted in some files without problem. Past week, I try to record a long video with a turntable spinning but recording stopped about 13 minute (using FHD or SH settings), when file reaches FAT32 limit (about 4,29 GB).

I'm using a 32GB Transcend class10 (about 9MB/s), with a Nikon 50mm f/1,8.

There are some news about this bug???

Byez to All