PDA

View Full Version : Brie Stoner no b.s. "not music videos"

Hunter Hampton
07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Love this little camera! Brie Stoner has been scoring films and commercials for quite a while and is releasing a new solo EP soon, so we decided to make a series of raw feeling "not music videos" for web content. This is a lot more laid back cinematography/edting than what im used to, but I think it works. Should 4 more in the next week or so, then do a real music video to top it off.

#1"together forever":

http://vimeo.com/13524883

#3 "edge of a broken heart":

http://www.vimeo.com/13982269

texasmfp
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Nice job and great voice. What causes that washed-out, milky fiair and, is there a specific name for it.

Hunter Hampton
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks. Its called "Veiling", its partly from the old canon lens I used and partly from tweaking the gamma and color.

matt s.
07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
that looked really great. Love the veiling it fit the video perfectly.

diego1235467
07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Could you tell me how to get that veiling by tweaking the color and gamma? I've been trying to do it to my footage, and I can't figure it out :(

seanmcleod
07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Obviously looks fantastic, but I could have used a little more movement, from your or her, got pretty stagnant quickly as nothing was drawing me in. I know you're talking about not music videos, but I still felt like it needed something to keep it fresh throughout. But the shots you did get are beautious.

plasmasmp
07-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Love the glare hitting the lens. Gives that fantastic milky look you get with old wide open lenses!

tflak
07-22-2010, 04:39 AM
Obviously looks fantastic, but I could have used a little more movement, from your or her, got pretty stagnant quickly as nothing was drawing me in. I know you're talking about not music videos, but I still felt like it needed something to keep it fresh throughout. But the shots you did get are beautious.

Couldn't disagree more about it being stagnant. The way this was put together gave a very intimate, flowing portrait of the artist performing and feeling her music.

For me, it was a welcomed departure from the usual music video targeted at the "continuous partial attention" generation.

Great stuff. Am looking forward to seeing more.

Hunter Hampton
07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Could you tell me how to get that veiling by tweaking the color and gamma? I've been trying to do it to my footage, and I can't figure it out :(

You have to start with a lens that has veiling glare first, most vintage lenses will do it as the coatings arent as good at stopping internal reflection as modern lenses, then you need to shoot towards a light source (windows here). Then to get the rest of the look, I rasied the gamma, lifted the shadows and dropped the extreme highlights- but again, I was already ~75% there with just the lens.

Hunter Hampton
07-22-2010, 06:39 AM

I totally agree with you about it feeling a bit boring, these videos are supposed to feel offbeat and hopefully translate into making you feel like your just watching someone sing and not watching a music video. For the real music video there will be plenty of cuts/ excitement.

ryancglover
07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
looks loverly! as usual.

diego1235467
07-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I guess I'll have to look for older lenses later, because this is the exact look I've been wanting for a few projects.

I didn't think the video was boring at all. The music was enjoyable, so I don't really need a bunch of flashy tricks to keep me interested. Great job.

seanmcleod
07-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I totally agree with you about it feeling a bit boring, these videos are supposed to feel offbeat and hopefully translate into making you feel like your just watching someone sing and not watching a music video. For the real music video there will be plenty of cuts/ excitement.

I wouldn't say it's a bit boring, the image is beautiful, I'd say muted? I'm just talking a little more movement in the camera is all, like if I was watching a set my eye would go back and forth between the singer, and the guitar, and so on... more of a free flow is what I meant.

Tflak I had a feeling someone might make the anti-ADD argument but that's not what I was implying. If the goal is to make it feel like your watching something in real time, I don't want to feel like the camera is constricting my ability to view the entire scene, you know? And every body has there own sensibilities and tastes, so what works for you might not for me, that's just how it goes. No one is wrong.

I think Hunter you understood what I was getting at judging from your reply, so yeah, nice work look forward to more!

jenningsp
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
please for the love of god hunter reduce the 100% white level to like 95 or something!!! (aka 255 to like 240 or so) it's offending my trained eye on this shitty LCD :)

otherwise, beautiful

tflak
07-23-2010, 03:11 AM
I wouldn't say it's a bit boring, the image is beautiful, I'd say muted? I'm just talking a little more movement in the camera is all, like if I was watching a set my eye would go back and forth between the singer, and the guitar, and so on... more of a free flow is what I meant.

Tflak I had a feeling someone might make the anti-ADD argument but that's not what I was implying. If the goal is to make it feel like your watching something in real time, I don't want to feel like the camera is constricting my ability to view the entire scene, you know? And every body has there own sensibilities and tastes, so what works for you might not for me, that's just how it goes. No one is wrong.

I think Hunter you understood what I was getting at judging from your reply, so yeah, nice work look forward to more!

Sean, guess I took your "got stagnant pretty quickly" comment the wrong way; assuming you wanted more action. I could have been less disagreeable in my reaction. :) Sorry about that.

As for everyone having their own tastes and no one being wrong, I agree - which is why I preceded my comment about the ADD thing with "For me".

I also agree that some very subtle camera movement might add a nice touch, but I think it's also fine as is.

Hunter Hampton
07-23-2010, 08:06 AM
please for the love of god hunter reduce the 100% white level to like 95 or something!!! (aka 255 to like 240 or so) it's offending my trained eye on this shi*ty LCD :)

otherwise, beautiful

Ha ha! Thought I did bring it down under 100. Oh well, maybe 100 ire will be the new 95ire someday.

larryfine451
07-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Great looking performer and
I really like the look of this clip ,but since it is a music production have you considered mixing the sound a liitle different.
It almost sounds like its the mics of the camera you are using.
What I have done i in the past is to record using camera mics for sync track plus use an ensemble portable for the real tracks on real mikes then mix the two together in logic . this gives you the ambient room raw sound ...with the produced sounds of logic .
The best thing of all is you can sit with the Artist and decide the level of raw and processed sound appropriate for the video track...

great stuff

Mark

dvbrother
07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I like it. For those interested in how to get the "milky" look of the video, there are a few other options. The best, of course, is what Hunter did, which was to use old FD lenses which don't have modern anti-flare coatings.
But if you're using the GH1's kit lens or other modern lenses that are much more contrasty, you can use a Black Pro-Mist filter or any Low-Con filter. These take light from the highlights and spreads it around into the shadow areas, thus creating the milky look. Or if you have Magic Bullet Looks or something like it, experiment with Black Diffusion.
One trick I've used is to shine a light into the lens from off-camera. So the light isn't really in the shot, but it hits the lens and creates the same milky, low contrast effect. This is very similar to what JJ Abrams did to create all those crazy anamorphic flares in "Star Trek". Try it...it's fun!

Hunter Hampton
07-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Great looking performer and
I really like the look of this clip ,but since it is a music production have you considered mixing the sound a liitle different.
It almost sounds like its the mics of the camera you are using.
What I have done i in the past is to record using camera mics for sync track plus use an ensemble portable for the real tracks on real mikes then mix the two together in logic . this gives you the ambient room raw sound ...with the produced sounds of logic .
The best thing of all is you can sit with the Artist and decide the level of raw and processed sound appropriate for the video track...

great stuff

Mark

Thanks, thats what I tried to do but admittedly Im not a very good audio mixer- a friend of mine ran sync sound for me & we did the guitar on one mic and the vocals on another- it sounded way too clean and I was afraid of people mistaking it for a studio track so I used one of the GH1 audio channels in the background to get more hiss and room sound- for the next one ill try and get some help on the sound mix. Thanks though for the tip!

jenningsp
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Ha ha! Thought I did bring it down under 100. Oh well, maybe 100 ire will be the new 95ire someday.

you're right. they're sitting at about 98. which i though might just be the the vimeo compression capping it.

hmmm maybe i'm just way more heavy handed in how i effect my roll off than you. I'm just really not a fan of seeing that light blue colour it turns right before it blows out.

i like my whites usually sitting around 90 and and pushing the highlights just a tad to make it really really smooth. and then warming it up a tad so it's more of a cream white.

to each his own :)

Hunter Hampton
07-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I just had this white level conversation a week ago with a top-shelf colorist, and he was adamant about letting clipped whites be close ~100 because "thats where they want to live"- I think I prefer them lower like you but to each his own. Main thing i dont like is clipped whites! ; )

jenningsp
07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
did he say anything about black level? coz i love milky blacks :)

something about having really high contrast images but showing them within a low contrast range. it's just great!

i need to shoot something

Hunter Hampton
07-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Ha! Yes, blacks need to be black.
I think you and I may look at too many milky hipster photos. (have 2500 favorites saved like that on my flickr!)

jenningsp
07-23-2010, 11:24 AM
i'm gonna go stand on my balcony for a smoke, furrow my brow towards the horizon. it's a bit hazy and cold out here. i'll put on my duffle coat and ray bans. what's this? i left a vintage torn up old second hand copy of the great gatsby in the side pocket. damn. i'm still only half way through after 3 years.

:)

seanmcleod
07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Sean, guess I took your "got stagnant pretty quickly" comment the wrong way; assuming you wanted more action. I could have been less disagreeable in my reaction. :) Sorry about that.

As for everyone having their own tastes and no one being wrong, I agree - which is why I preceded my comment about the ADD thing with "For me".

I also agree that some very subtle camera movement might add a nice touch, but I think it's also fine as is.

No worries Tflak, I knew you weren't being malicious, I just wanted to make sure people didn't dismiss what I had to say by thinking I wanted it to look like MTV Punk'd or something.

you can use a Black Pro-Mist filter or any Low-Con filter.

I think it would be White Prom Mist for the milky look no?

Hunter Hampton
08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Added another;

"edge of a broken heart"

http://www.vimeo.com/13982269