PDA

View Full Version : Motorolas "Droid X as Canon 7D Monitor??

steve witt
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I heard about the Motorola "Droid X" having HDMI and a high resolution larger screen for a smart phone. Anyone know if it can serve as a possible monitor for DSLRs? I haven't found much on this yet. Thanks

Richard J. Johnson
07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Does it have HDMI in? I heard it only outputs through the port.

NoahK
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
yeah I'd stick with a true HD monitor.

Noah

Jester2138
07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't really see the point of using a phone as a monitor, be it a Droid X or an iPhone or even the Dell Streak with it's huge*** screen. That said, it's not really possible anyway unless your really good a programming and hardware modding.

daveswan
07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't know why you'd want to use a 'phone either.
Consider, even a Lilliput will give as good or better resolution, and a 7" screen is a lot easier to see than a 3.5-ish" screen. Plus it's only about 170 (Not sure what it is in $).
Dave

hermanhj
07-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I would want to use and iphone because it is in my pocket and that is $350 cheaper than the cheapest external monitor I have considered. The iphone monitor is larger and sharper than the monitor fixed to my 7D. The iphone has been useful as a remote monitor using onone dslr remote but with the disadvantage or requiring a laptop with wireless attached to the camera. I think I could find a use for a phone as monitor. My daughter is soon to have a droid x phone with a hdmi connection. perhap that will work.

treynolds
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
The Droid X would not work for this without some serious software and hardware hacking. it does have a micro HDMI post but it is a video out port, not video in. And when it is connected it only sends video out when it is playing back a movie or showing pictures. As for the iPhone I dont think this would happen either because the hacking community for this devices doesnt do much in the way of hardware hacks.

Stick with the lilliput or if you want to go cheap look for a portable DVD player with video in, thats what i use (its SD but it works for framing and such).