PDA

View Full Version : Casting Call...a lesson learned

Phil
05-19-2004, 11:42 PM
So its 3AM here, just got done trying to get a local actress into the mind set of a character.
Calmly, positive attitude, respectfully...I remained. When she read our story, she loved it. When she met our crew, she loved us. But after everything is said and done, no matter how bad she wants to play the part. *:'(
Its just not working.

Do you just tell her its not working out?
Or do you say someone else got the part?

Sol M.
05-20-2004, 12:23 AM
You do absolutely nothing....that is if all you want for your project is a pretty face.

If your story matters at all to you, do what you feel is right for the story. You don't need to be mean to her, but just simply tell her (or anyone else that isn't right for a part, because it'll happen a lot) the truth. It's your choice on how you spin it-- decided to keep on looking, too good for the part, want to save her for another project, etc.

There's too much BS in the "biz" already. Just be straight with the people you deal with and you'll get along fine.

Barry_S
05-20-2004, 02:28 PM
If she's an actress she's been turned down for parts before--it's not going to be devastating for her. Actors have big egos because they need 'em! Hopefully you didn't imply she had the part--*never* a good idea. When you have an actor read for a part, it's better to say you'll be considering them for any of the roles they might fit. Then there's no surprise if you want to cast for them for a smaller/different part.

Thank her for reading and maybe offer her a smaller part if you've got one, or just say you didn't think she was right for this part, but you look forward to working with her on a future project.

Mike_Donis
05-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah, make sure that you let her know that you think she isn't right for *this* project. If you think it'll hurt her feelings, make sure you don't crush her or anything...if, of course, you actually do think that she'll be right for another role in another film of yours, that is.

There's always the "you're too good looking for the role" line ;) (i'm joking on that one, but then again, only half joking :P)

Fact is, if she's terrible, definitely being straight up about it is best...but remember that she might take it the wrong way. Pamper your actors/actresses, because they love it (and, yes, need it).

DVX100Shooter
05-21-2004, 06:46 PM
You could always offer her a "EXTRA" part but that could also be like a slap in the face to her though...I would not have let her meet the crew so early in the process. All she should have done was come in read some lines and that was it. I have a B.A. Degree in Theater and I have been to many auditions for all kinds of stuff. If they like you they WILL call but if I don't get the phone call then I know I didn't get the gig...its all good...she will just have to roll with the punches. Rejection just makes you try that much harder on the next audition.

DVX100Shooter
05-21-2004, 06:48 PM
I forgot to ask how did you go about your casting call? Do you put a ad in the paper? Did you ask for headshots and resumes just like a real casting call for a Feature movie or commercial or something?

speedbump
05-22-2004, 09:35 PM
You have got to suck it up and tell her she's not right, for whatever reason. You will have nothing but misery if you bring the wrong actor into your project, especially if it is a critical role.

Just tell the truth, and keep her in mind for other projects.

Good luck

J.R. Hudson
05-23-2004, 12:42 AM
I agree on 2 points that have been made here:

Be straight and honest and maybe consider another role (if she qualifies of course).

Phil
05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I got over my "shyness" about telling the truth fast. We're currently going through a 30+ casting call right now. The reply "we may have another part for you to play in the future" keeps feelings from getting hurt. Just in case.

I forgot to ask how did you go about your casting call? Do you put a ad in the paper? Did you ask for headshots and resumes just like a real casting call for a Feature movie or commercial or something?

We are located between large universities and art schools. Actors are everywhere here (as well as everywhere in general!) we're putting out flyers, asking for reels, and even have walk in's, so if the actor doesn't have a reel, they can still try out.

When looking for an actor, in the independant stage, Sometimes it's easier to find a person who is the character instead of looking for a person to play the character. Forced acting hurts! It kills me.

But that's just my view on it. :)

Staven
05-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Not sure as to how in depth these auditions were, if this was like a 3rd call back or something, but for the most part you don't have to tell her anything. Unless you are her friend, or come in constant contact with her you have no real obligation to reply. If she is an actor, if she don't get a call from you she knows she didn't get the part, she moves on. What usually happens if they see you again, they reference how they just weren't on that day and how they could tell it wasn't gonna work out, and they let you off the hook. No response means you didn't get the part. It's good practise for actors to not get any love cuz they are in a hard world that will have ten times as many failures as successes.

If you've led her to believe it's her role... good luck... let the producer deal with it!!!

Phil
05-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks Stabb. Even though its rough, I got used to it. You have to make decisions. Good for the story or bad for the story. Thats TRULY all that matters.

JonnyMac
05-27-2004, 07:39 AM
We actors are not nearly as thin-skinned as many imagine. Almost every actor I know has been promised a role and then uncast. It's part of the business. Just be kind in your approach so that you have the opportunity to work with her later if she's better suited for a future role.

gearman
05-30-2004, 12:14 PM
just tell her the truth, and explain that everybody is good but its just the part that she didnt fit..The actors need to know theirr faults but this is just a matter of fitting the part....tell her the truth..m8..

ddh
06-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Just my two cents worth. I've been an actor for over 20 years and have had everything occur that can. Be kind but straight. Actors are not that thin skinned and if they are, it's going to get thick quickly.