PDA

View Full Version : How difficult/Expensive Would This Set Cost To Build?

romantico
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I need to start preparing for a film short. I've saved some money and there is really no fancy effects or anything but I do need one set. I have two challenges ahead of me. I hope to start shooting by early to mid October. Two big scenes take place in an old English tavern. Here is the rough sketch we had drawn up. I'm trying to figure out realistically how much building a set like this would cost me. I'm starting to save money for this right now so I hope it won't be too much. My second challenge is finding a place to shoot this. Any suggestions or advice are welcome.Thanks everyone!

Barry_Green
07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
The answer to "how much will it cost" starts and ends with "how good do you want it to look?"

If you want it done cheap, consider high school students in a theater production to build it, but ... if you want it to look good, try sweet-talking your way into the good graces of someone who owns an old-English tavern in your town, and use it as a practical location -- if you can finish your shooting in one day.

romantico
07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks. Of course, I'd like it to look as good as possible for as little as possible (LOL) I wish I knew of an English looking tavern like that in my town or even my area or state.

Sad Max
07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
To build, finish and dress that to studio standard as a two-wall set with full soft ceiling - estimating square footage etc based upon the sketch, which is loose - I'd estimate +/- US$20,000. Much of which is in that fireplace, stairs and the stone work behind the bar.

Unless you expect to fold, hold and get some re-use out of it I would certainly try to pursue Barry's suggestion.

Which state of the union are you in?

Barry_Green
07-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Ask around. This is DVXUser, with over 50,000 members -- there may very well be someone in your town or certainly state who knows of an appropriate-looking tavern!

romantico
07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Many Thanks all. I live in Connecticut. I was also considering if any college or theater company had a tavern scene. I am trying to make it look like an old Hollywood tavern you would see in the movies from the 60's and 70's. I found a great source for costumes which is saving me a lot of $$$. Someone also suggested to me to see if I can make a deal and let the set designer keep any materials when I am done shooting. $20,000 is out of my reach,but it is still good to know these things. I could cut the fireplace out of the scene also. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Sad Max
07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
You're living where the Revolutionary War was fought. That part of the country is positively lousy with preserved period structures. Find one and shoot it for a location.