PDA

View Full Version : New GF1 v1.24 and GH1 v1.34 firmware hack problems

Pages : [1] 2

dvxdib
07-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I have read many of the posts but still cannot get the firmware to update. Help!
I have V1.3 installed on the GH1. I've downloaded the firmware v1.32 and used Ptool v3.37d to change the settings. I have version change ticked and set to 3, version compare patch ticked, etc. The file has been saved as GH1__133.bin. Reformated a SD card and added the new firware file to the root folder. Switched on the camera and pressed the green button and I get NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY. I must stress I have tried this numerous times with different version change numbers. I have also tried to install the original V1.32 just in case I had an out of date original firmware. The camera is new is not a grey import and has not had the firmwaare update before. Can anyone help.

Regards
DIB

dvxdib
07-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Still no joy. Can any one please help.

REgards
DIB

JoeJITSU
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Throw the ptools 3.37d out and try the new 3.40. Throw the other firmware out as well. Have you sucessfully uploaded a firmware yet? If not then download the 1.32 again and ptool 3.40 and tick what you ticked before and click the avchd "c" settings as well as 24p native. This is to just test it out. Then if this works then you will not have to tick "version change" anymore after.PLEASE make sure battery is fully charged.

JoeJITSU
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Just in case here are the safe "c" settings. Just an FYI this setting doesn't work for all SD cards but on most. If it doesn't then don't worry it will not fry your camera.
Tick
version change
version compare
24pn

then change the following quantities:
-Video bitrate adjustment - c)50000000
-Overall bitrate adjustment - c)52000000
-Limiting bitrate adjustment - c)60000000

remember there are (2) underscores like this "__" when you save. Goodluck

KevinJ
07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
The Panasonic instructions for loading firmware still apply. You must press the green play button to load the firmware per Panasonic instructions.

You just need to check version compare patch. When the firmware is install it will reset the version to 0.0. Do this for every hack version you try. When you want to revert back to the original Panasonic, it will then show the Panasonic version number. Again remember that reverting to the original Panasonic does not require ptool if you ticked version compare patch.

If you didn't do that, then you would need to install a version increment with version compare patch to get it back to 0.0, then re-install the Panasonic original version.

I have read many of the posts but still cannot get the firmware to update. Help!
I have V1.3 installed on the GH1. I've downloaded the firmware v1.32 and used Ptool v3.37d to change the settings. I have version change ticked and set to 3, version compare patch ticked, etc. The file has been saved as GH1__133.bin. Reformated a SD card and added the new firware file to the root folder. Switched on the camera and pressed the green button and I get NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY. I must stress I have tried this numerous times with different version change numbers. I have also tried to install the original V1.32 just in case I had an out of date original firmware. The camera is new is not a grey import and has not had the firmwaare update before. Can anyone help.

Regards
DIB

dvxdib
07-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Many thanks for the replys but I still do not see why the camera will not load the firmware using either ptool v3.36 or v3.37d. I was wondering if anyone else had not been able to update the firmware.
As I mentioned before I have read numerous posts and think I am following all the instructions. The battery was fully changed, I have used double __. Used a variety of version numbers, formated the SD card many times, used a number of different cards, etc - you name it I think I have tried it! Not once have I got the firmware to update. Every time I press the 'green' play button after power up I get the message 'NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY'.
I will give ptool v4.0 a go if someone can leave me a hint where I can find it.

REgards and many thanks
DIB

dvxdib
07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi,
Found ptool v3.40D and tried again.
Sorry to say that I still just get the message 'NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY'.
It is a new camers a few days old.
Is it possible that Panasonic have some how block a hacked firmware update?

Thanks
DIB

orangezero
07-07-2010, 11:23 PM
I did this as well. It much be a problem with the version increment. In v3.40d, check the box in front of "Version increment" and then click on the words "Version increment" and then go to the bottom and make sure you enter a version increment in the black box right above where it says "original > modified"

This will most likely solve this for you. I have a hard time complaining about free software that makes my camera even better, but I do feel this is a little confusing. Hopefully all these issues will go away in the future with "Prevent version compare"

Hope that helps.

dvxdib
07-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Hi,
Yes I have tried a number of different Version increments and still get the 'NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY' message. The 'GH1__133.bin' is in the root directory.
Could there be a problem with my camera?. Is there a master RESET I could try?

DIB

dvxdib
07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I really do feel like giving up with this. I only bought the camera so that I could hack it to shoot good quality video.
Many thanks for all who replyed but I really cannot think of any thing else I can try. I continually get the message 'NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY' what ever I seem to do.
DIB

KevinJ
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
The file can be named GH1__132.bin. I should be copied to the root/base top level directory of the SDHC card.

I just received my GH1 last week and have done several firmware changes.

1. download 1.32 firmware from Panasonic
2. open 1.32 firmware in ptool
3. put a check on the checkbox for "Version compare tool", optionally check Native 24p in AVCHD setting.
4. put a check on Video Bitrate FHD/SH and change the value to 32000000
5. put a check on Overall Bitrate and change the value to 34000000
6 put a check on Limiting Bitrate and change the value to 40000000 do not add commas in the input values of step 4,5,6
7. Save firmware to a different location from original and name it GH1__132.bin. The file name should be uppercase with two underscores followed by a .bin extension.
9. Insert an SDHC card into your computers card reader slot.
10. Copy the firmware file to the root of your SDHC card.
11. Power off your camera and make sure the battery is full before proceeding to next step.
12. Take out the SDHC card from the card reader and re-insert into your camera.
13. Turn on the power to your camera.
14. Press the play button located to the right of the electronic viewfinder and the camera will ask you if you want to update and move the selection to yes and press the set button to confirm.
15. Follow the instructions on the screen to not do anything while it is updating. The camera will reboot when it is complete.

If this is still not working, try to reformat the SDHC card in the camera or try a different SDHC card. Panasonic has not changed their firmware just for you to prevent the hack.

Also check in the camera what the current body firmware is at just in case. If you have a virgin camera it will be body version 1.2 with lens 1.1. If your body version says something other than 1.2 then let us know.

You can also try to do this from another computer. Also you may want to try to remove the SDHC driver that was loaded which may be corrupt. It could be a bad SDHC card reader as well which is writing a bad file to the card. If the camera does not find a valid firmware formated file, it won't load...again try from a different computer.

I really do feel like giving up with this. I only bought the camera so that I could hack it to shoot good quality video.
Many thanks for all who replyed but I really cannot think of any thing else I can try. I continually get the message 'NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY' what ever I seem to do.
DIB

MattinSTL
07-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Is it possible that Panasonic have some how block a hacked firmware update?

I also have a brand new GH1 and it hacked fine following the directions. You made sure the SD card you're using is good, yes?

Mainly... take a step back from it and don't just try things in desperation. The whole process is pretty simple... but I understand your frustration.

Make sure you're not doing the common mistakes... such as trying to update with the usb cable attached... or with AC power... or a battery that isn't FULLY charged... or with a faulty SD card that wasn't properly formatted in-cam... OR putting the bin file into one of the folders the cam created when it formatted the card, (putting the bin file in the root directory means in the "open space of the card"... i.e. if you open the card in your PC... you'll see 3 folders... and you simply put the bin file in the open space... NOT in any folder... i.e. accessible directly from the card, etc.

7. Save firmware to a different location from original and name it GH1__132.bin. The file name should be uppercase with two underscores followed by a .bin extension.

Also make sure you're not naming the file with the ".bin" at the end... and creating a file that the computer sees as "GH1__132.bin.bin"... because if you just loaded up the panasonic GH1_132 file... then you save the PTools modded file... it will either suggest GH1__133 or you can name it that... and you'll see that it will automatically put the ".bin" on there as an extension... not actually part of the NAME... i.e. when you send a picture of yourself to a friend you save it as a .jpg... you don't name your picture as "picture.jpg"... the .jpg is the extension.

Maybe this is a stupid point... but maybe you've taken some advice too literally... which is why I'm mentioning it... but no matter what, if you find yourself getting desperate and careless, sleep on it and take a calm approach in the morning. It's not hard to do, you've probably been over-thinking it.

dvxdib
07-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Many thanks. So far every I tried every thing that has been suggested, with no success. I am an experienced computer user so I am fairy sure that I have followed all the instructions.
You asked me to get back to you if the version numbers were different from the ones in your post.
In fact the body firmware is Ver 1.3 and 14-140 lens Ver 1.2. Does this make a difference?

DIB

rundavids
07-09-2010, 02:40 AM
I read somewhere before about somene having problem trying to update firmware and they tried 3 different sd cards and finally one worked strangely other two didn't although those cards will work functionally. Try borrowing sd card from friend.

dvxdib
07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Many thanks. I have also tried three different SD cards.
The official version of the firmware installed on the camera is Ver 1.3.
Do you think that this could be the problem? I notice that other users have started with Ver 1.2. I can not say if the official version is 1.32 since the camera only reports 'Body Ver 1.3' in the set up.
Is this possibly a new official firmware version (eg. 1.33) which prevents the hack from installing?

DIB

rambooc1
07-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Mate the only thing i can think of doing is to video yourself doing every step and post it online for us to watch what you are doing.

If there was a new official version FW it would be listed on the Panasonic website replacing the 1.32 version there now, and that is not the case.

dvxdib
07-10-2010, 04:02 AM
Many thanks.
But the question is has anyone stated off with the official Ver 1.3 installed AND then been able to install a hacked version of the firmware?

As far as I am aware everyone else seems to have started off with Ver 1.2 (or lower) installed in their camera and then upgraded to Ver 1.32 and then used the hack.

DIB

swyzlstyx
07-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Many thanks.
But the question is has anyone stated off with the official Ver 1.3 installed AND then been able to install a hacked version of the firmware?

As far as I am aware everyone else seems to have started off with Ver 1.2 (or lower) installed in their camera and then upgraded to Ver 1.32 and then used the hack.

DIB

I think the last/latest firmware that came out WAS ver 1.3, back in May. I've been switching back and forth...quite a few times...takes just a few seconds.

Have you tried downloading a FRESH copy of the factory firmware (1.3), and trying to install it on your camera? Maybe that would tell you for sure whether there is a glitch somewhere in your upgrading procedure.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh1.html

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
07-10-2010, 08:29 AM
It's so tempting to post the following link, but I won't:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216313

:-) But seriously, I hope you get your issue sorted out. When you do, please let us know what you've got there that's different compared to so many hundreds (thousands?) of others. Most likely "you're doing it wrong", but you may have found a really odd edge case. Let us know. Thanks.

KevinJ
07-10-2010, 08:46 AM
It would appear that someone already hacked your new camera. I believe most folks including me received their factory virgin cameras with 1.2 installed. It could be you need to try to increment between 1.33 and 1.40. The camera won't tell us what subversion is installed. So maybe just increment to 1.40 right off and if it works, then use version compare patch to bring it back to 0.0 the next time.

If it is you who installed 1.32 official, you need to increment to 1.33 with version increment checked, then hack again with version compare patch alone checked. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks.

DIB

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
It would appear that someone already hacked your new camera. ...

I suspect this also, and would love to know if this is the case or there's some other cause.

dvxdib
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm become more and more convinced that if your GH1 camera is supplied with Panasonics Ver 1.3 firmware you will NOT be able to use PTool to hack the firmware.

The camera was bought in the UK from Currys - two weks ago and the Cameras SET UP reports Camera Body Ver1.3 and it is proving impossible to update the firmware with PTool.
It could be possible that Panasonic are installing new versions of the firmware (say Ver1.33 which traps Hacked updates) - this is possible.

In order to disprove this I need just one member to confirm that thay have been able to use Ptool with a factory installed Ver1.3 firmware.

One member says that all cameras are released with Ver1.2. Does anyone else have a camera with a factory installed Ver1.3?

Sorry but I seem to have two threads running on this topic - apologies

DIB

Blackout
07-10-2010, 12:18 PM
what about starting of renaming to 1.4 doesn't work?

jerryrain
07-11-2010, 02:24 AM
try to hack with version increment for 3 and prevent version compare checked, file name 135

choedo
07-11-2010, 05:07 AM
The Japanses version GF1 which I bought this week has been installed an original ver.1.2 firmware in factry,so it can not be updated with the unlocked firmware made by ptool3.
I've tried the number -1,0,1,2,3,4 in version increment blank,but it doesn't work.
Please help me!
It made me crazy:violent5:

7.12 add on:
In the engineer mode I found my gf1's firmwork version is 2.14!
So all hacked 1.22 firmworks can't be updated.
And there's NO ver 2.14 to download now.....

MattinSTL
07-11-2010, 08:03 AM
It's so tempting to post the following link, but I won't:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216313

I'm starting to understand this thread a lot more then I did the day it was posted.

I'm become more and more convinced that if your GH1 camera is supplied with Panasonics Ver 1.3 firmware you will NOT be able to use PTool to hack the firmware.

I have a problem with this statement because, as I already said...

I also have a brand new GH1 and it hacked fine following the directions.

Brand new meaning a week old from B&H. Honestly if you're fighting it that much can you either return the cam (if you can) or try to accept it as it is...(?)

At least right now you have a working camera...

Svart
07-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I updated to 1.32 and then to the hack firmware. No problems at all. I read in some other thread where people installed the official 1.33 and were still able to hack too.

Park Edwards
07-11-2010, 09:26 AM
if you donate $x.xx bux to tester13 and send me your camera, i'll update it.

Jonathan12uiz
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
don't you have to update to panasonic 1.32 firmware first? thats what I did to my GH1 before I even tried the hack.

dvxdib
07-11-2010, 10:58 AM
If someone could sort the camera out I would be more than happy to donate to tester13. Bit of a difficulty in sending the camera from the UK to Florida and back again.

I've tried every suggestion posted and still get the message 'NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY'. I've even tried a bin file emailed to me and that also did not work. I've tried different SD cards, different computers, many many different version nuimbers from 1 up to 15 with filenames from GH1__133.bin to GH1__142.bin. Battery fully charged, reformatted SD card, in the root folder, PTool v3.36, v3.37d and 3.40d, etc, etc

I realise that members can update if they start off with Ver 1.2 my problem is that the camera arrive from Panasonic with Ver 1.3 installed.

I'm still looking for other members to say that they started with a factory installed Ver1.3 and have been able to use PTool successfully. (so far only one member thinks he may have done this)

DIB

hsitz
07-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm still looking for other members to say that they started with a factory installed Ver1.3 and have been able to use PTool successfully. (so far only one member thinks he may have done this)
Just as a neutral observer of all this, I have to say I'm skeptical that you have a super special unhackable camera. Even if yours is one of very few shipped from factory with 1.3, it's hard for me to image that the factory installed 1.3 would be different from any of the 1.3x updates that are out there.

You've said you're an experienced computer person, so the approach I would take would be one that is helpful whenever a programmer has a bug that can't be tracked down.

(1) Relax. Go back to square 0.
(2) Describe for someone else each and every step you're taking in your update process. It's important to include even details that you might not think are important or relevant.
(3) Usual result is that (a) in process of re-describing you discover for yourself what the problem is, or (b) with more detailed description someone else will be able help.

Of course it is _possible_ that you are the only person out there with an unhackable camera. The odds of that seem quite low, however, so going back to square zero seems like next best step. You may feel like you've already gone back to squre zero several times. Maybe you have. But doing it again (and maybe again and again, each time taking note of more and more supposedly unimportant or irrelevant details) may still help. Important thing is to relax and to adopt a mindset of beginning again, forget everything you've done before and explain it like you're explaining to a child.

In computer programming and in system administration it's totally common to _feel_ like you've done everything perfectly, like it must be something special about the system because it can't be you. The vast majority of the time it's not the system, it's something, often something very simple and basic, that has been overlooked and/or misunderstood.

Park Edwards
07-11-2010, 11:25 AM
here we go AGAIN.

FIRST.
Format your card in camera.

SECOND.
Load panasonics firmware in Ptool.
•CHECK VERSION INCREMENT
•AT THE BOTTOM CHANGE THE NUMBER 1 TO 50 (This is just in case Panasonic shipped you camera post-hacked)
•CHECK PREVENT VERSION COMPARE

THIRD
•Click Save firmware
•Save the file in the same directory as your panasonic firmware and click on it
•Don't overwrite, just change the 1.32 to 1.33 your file should now look like GH1__133
•Save

FOURTH
•TRANSFER YOUR NEWLY HACKED FIRMWARE TO THE CARD YOU FORMATTED IN CAMERA. JUST DRAG ONTO THE CARD, DON'T PUT IT IN ANY OF THE FOLDERS.

FIFTH
•MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA IS OFF, AND LOAD THE CARD INTO CAMERA.
•TURN CAMERA ON AND PRESS PLAY.
•ONCE THE FIRMWARE IS LOADED, CHECK YOUR VERSION. IF IT SAYS 0.0, SUCCESS.
•FROM NOW ON, DO NOT CHECK VERSION INCREMENT, ONLY PREVENT VERSION COMPARE

hsitz
07-11-2010, 11:30 AM
here we go AGAIN.

Car3o -- If your repost of the steps is in response to my message above, I would just clarify that I think it's important for dvxdib to go back to square zero, not for _someone else_ to re-provide the steps. Assuming that the camera is hackable, it must be something very basic dvxdib is missing, potentially something so basic that is being left out of every recitation of steps. . . .

Park Edwards
07-11-2010, 11:33 AM
ah, no biggie. i'm used to it by now.

Chrisming
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi. I too get the message "No Picture.." I can't do anything to fix it. Also, camera is does not shut down (it will only take three stills) or allow me to record film mode. About the only thing it can do is focus and go through menus.

It all started when I was moving up from 3.37 hack. I can't get back to factory settings. It seems like the system is shut down and won't read what's on card.

Park Edwards
07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
guys, if you get "No Picture" its' because you have a firmware on your card and need to delete it. format the card and try taking pictures and record again.

choedo
07-12-2010, 04:24 AM
don't you have to update to panasonic 1.32 firmware first? thats what I did to my GH1 before I even tried the hack.

The latest version of GF1 is 1.24 which is installed in factory,I can’t update by original 1.22 firework or the hacked one

dvxdib
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Many thanks.
Actually I am a C program software developer, over 20 years experience. I have gone back to basics and still cannot get it to work.

I'm still looking for other members to say that they started with a factory installed Ver1.3 and have been able to use PTool successfully.

abnaxus
07-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi dvxdib
I've got exactly the same problem as you, bought the camera in London a week ago, was depending on getting the hack and now everything you've experienced, I have too. What's more is that my camera also says version 1.3
Here is the thread where I asked for help
http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216281&page=1

Let me know if you've any new ideas/solutions - hopefully we can help each other out!

choedo
07-13-2010, 07:18 AM
help...

choedo
07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I am the same problem on GF1,the latest version is 1.22,but I checked the version number in engineering mode,it was 1.24.

swyzlstyx
07-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Many thanks.
Actually I am a C program software developer, over 20 years experience. I have gone back to basics and still cannot get it to work.

I'm still looking for other members to say that they started with a factory installed Ver1.3 and have been able to use PTool successfully.

I might pick up another GH1 next week, and see what it comes loaded with, then try to load the PTool manipulated firmware. Sorry, I know that's of no use right now.

Although, if the factory installed 1.3 can't be upgraded, then I might wait and get one of the many new GH1's that might be hitting eBay soon. :D

svecher
07-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Many thanks.

Get a second camera, put it on tripod and film yourself doing the firmware upgrade. That's the only way we can help you out by ruling out some basic error in the process.

Also, you keep making the same statement that your camera came from the factory with firmware v1.3 installed. How do you know that for a fact? Your camera came from Currys. Many things happen in electronics stores, including people buying stuff, "playing" around, packing it up and returning to store, which turns around and sell it to you as "brand new."

So, take a deep breath, do the vid and post it on Youtube to rule out you as the source of the problem.

abnaxus
07-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I just spoke to panasonic and they told me that if it displays version 1.3 on the camera then it has already got 1.32 installed. Therefore there is no fault as far as they're concerned. Shouldn't ptool work anyway? I've tried all sorts of increments - should the file always be called GH1_133.bin no matter the increment?
I'm close to accepting that I've bought a dud, the problem is I have to shoot a documentary in Japan and I'm flying tomorrow. As soon as I get a moment in Japan I'll make a video just to rule out I'm not doing something wrong (good call svecher). In the meantime, what do you guys recommend for the best setup on an unhacked GH1 for quality of footage? - it's mostly going to be sit down interviews and b roll.
Can someone give me their idea of the best total camera set up for the kit lens.

That would be great

yours melancholy
Abnaxus

abnaxus
07-13-2010, 08:07 AM
sorry, by set up I mainly meant codec - dreading finding my footage covered in MUD

swyzlstyx
07-13-2010, 11:25 AM
...should the file always be called GH1_133.bin no matter the increment?

.....sorry, by set up I mainly meant codec - dreading finding my footage covered in MUD

1. There should be TWO underscores.

2. Have you actually shot two seconds of footage with the camera yet? There's a reason the GH1 was one of the most groundbreaking cameras to come out in a long time. Horrible "muddy" footage wasn't one of them. Use proper lighting and lenses for the scene. Know how to use the camera...practice...practice...practice. I don't use the hack for professional use personally...and I'm perfectly happy with my footage. The GH1 has been my sole source of income for about a year. You'll be fine. :)

rambooc1
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Get a second camera, put it on tripod and film yourself doing the firmware upgrade. That's the only way we can help you out by ruling out some basic error in the process.

I suggested that in post #16 if this thread and he ignored it.

dvxdib
07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Many thanks.

So far no one has disprooved my theory. Ptool will not work with a factory installed Ver1.3.

If you have a new camera with a factory installed Ver1.3 (rather than having upgraded to it by downloading the firware from the Panasonic site) you will be unable to hack the firmware.

I now have been told by a number of members that they also have been unable to hack the firmware with a factory installed Ver 1.3.
I am also aware that once members have upgraded to Ver1.3 (from the Panasonic site that they then are able to use Ptool. My theory to this is that the factory installed version of the firmware is different to the version available on the Panasonic site. May be Ver 1.320 on the site and Ver 1.321 factory installed?

Still like to hear from members with a factory installed Ver 1.3 who cannot use Ptool to modify the firmware.

DIB

rambooc1
07-13-2010, 06:35 PM
It's also possible that you have a camera that is faulty and will not engage firmware update mode when presented with a loader on the card root.

svecher
07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I suggested that in post #16 if this thread and he ignored it.
Until that's done then I'm disengaging. Have fun ...

rambooc1
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Until that's done then I'm disengaging. Have fun ...

Disengage mode activated. ......shoooshhh

Repp
07-14-2010, 07:15 AM
I live in Japan currently, and ended up buying a GF1 today after reading that others had gotten the hack to work to switch the language from japanese to english.

Here is a screen cap of the settings I was using. Also tried w/ different version increments, saved the file name from GF1__122 through GF1__150. Tried w/ Version Increments on and off, same w/ the Prevent Version compare.

Anyone have any thoughts as to where I went wrong?

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/Zeferis308/Screenshot2010-07-14at110249PM.jpg

mpgxsvcd
07-14-2010, 08:02 AM
What happens when you hit play with this file in the root directory of the memory card? Did you have a full battery?

Did you try a version increment value of 2,3,4,5.....etc? Just make sure the name of the file is the version increment value plus 122 if this is your first time updating the firmware.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Guys, stop making pointless threads.
All guys having problems, read this thread - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216575
And post here screenshot of the screen with complete firmware version (it is black one screen and you'll find instructions in this thread how to get it).
It looks like Panasonic started installing new firmware versions quitely.

swyzlstyx
07-14-2010, 08:48 AM
That's horrible...now you're stuck with a dirt cheap camera that shoots amazing video for the price.

I can't wait to buy my second one. (Although, I may buy a Japanese model, since I just want a red one now. :D )

I'm sure the firmware hack was a nightmare for Panasonic...so many armchair video guys with no clue as to what they're doing, screwing with the camera's firmware...then putting them up for sale or contacting Panasonic for support after they f*ck it up. Let alone, all the internet forum posts begging for help with a Panny product that they now have a problem with...that's just not good business. I'd lock that firmware in tight, if I were Panny.

dococ
07-14-2010, 09:00 AM
hy_from austria_carinthian

got an brand new gh1_must named der firmware_GH1__1.40_and during i type this-the cam updated the firmware -

now i have a shooting test on a musicforum - so i will try the stable settings

thank you for all your creativity and work
chapeau to tester13

first problem was with ptool 3.40d_i had a two monitor setup_so i used ptool for the first time _but only with one monitor_ptool was freezing_after thinking_switched on my second monitor_voila_i cant start ptool_

now i have a gh13

in peace

mpgxsvcd
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
It looks like Panasonic started installing new firmware versions quitely.

What versions are being installed on the new cameras? Is it not 1.22 for the GF1 anymore?

Is there a thread that discusses the newest firmware that cameras are shipping with?

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Just read carefully my message. It is intended for GF1 owner with possible new firmware.
We don't need any new threads.

Park Edwards
07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Many thanks.

So far no one has disprooved my theory. Ptool will not work with a factory installed Ver1.3.

If you have a new camera with a factory installed Ver1.3 (rather than having upgraded to it by downloading the firware from the Panasonic site) you will be unable to hack the firmware.

I now have been told by a number of members that they also have been unable to hack the firmware with a factory installed Ver 1.3.
I am also aware that once members have upgraded to Ver1.3 (from the Panasonic site that they then are able to use Ptool. My theory to this is that the factory installed version of the firmware is different to the version available on the Panasonic site. May be Ver 1.320 on the site and Ver 1.321 factory installed?

Still like to hear from members with a factory installed Ver 1.3 who cannot use Ptool to modify the firmware.

DIB

how can we help or disprove your theory if you don't help us understand exactly what you're doing.

versamaz
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Got my GF1 from Japan just a week ago, everything's working perfectly well with the given instructions

svecher
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Got my GF1 from Japan just a week ago, everything's working perfectly well with the given instructions
What version of firmware did it come with?

jerryrain
07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
@dococ
damn man, work on grammar before you post

mpgxsvcd
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Just read carefully my message. It is intended for GF1 owner with possible new firmware.
We don't need any new threads.

Sorry Vitaliy but sometimes your English is not clear. That is ok. I am sure I would just butcher your native language. However, your post above sounds like you have information about new firmware that Panasonic is "Quietly shipping". Could you share that information with us?

Repp
07-14-2010, 02:18 PM
@ Vitaliy, Could not get into the Temp service mode w/ the instructions from the other thread...

Temporary service mode:
1) Non-empty SD card must be installed
2) Check that single shot mode is selected.
3) Before trning on camera press:
a) DISPLAY+FILM MODE for G1 and GH1
b) DISPLAY+AE LOCK for GF1, G2, G10
4) Turn on power.When I press and release the Display+AE or when I hold them in when I power on the camera, the camera turns on like normal.

@mpgx I get a message in japanese that basically says there is no photo. I tried increments of 3-10, and found that when it went over from 0x0122 it would go to 0x012C instead of 0x0132 (no idea what this means... or if it's working as intended)

svecher
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
@mpgx I get a message in japanese that basically says there is no photo. I tried increments of 3-10, and found that when it went over from 0x0122 it would go to 0x012C instead of 0x0132 (no idea what this means... or if it's working as intended)

0x012C is hexadecimal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

rambooc1
07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Well it looks like Panasonic have changed the FW, Vitaliy also suspects the GF1 FW has also been changed or update locked.

See the GF1 thread for info.

dvxdib
07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Just tried the suggestion to rename the file to GH1__1.40 but no luck. The camera will not update using Ptools if the firmware version install at the factory is Ver 1.3.

I suggest that if anyone is thinking of buying a new camera inorder make the hack modifications that they ensure it is old stock with factory firmware V1.2 (or lower installed) - If they do not want to make any modifications then they can swap with me!!

DIB

mtan
07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I just made it, got mine a couple of weeks ago. I would be so pissed if my firware was locked, would probably sell it and get something else. Panasonic doesn't want the Gh1 to compete with the upcoming Gh2, what reason would one have to upgrade with this new hack?

MR Fanny
07-14-2010, 06:37 PM
@dococ
damn man, work on grammar before you post

english isn't necessarily everyone first language here in the internet =)

swyzlstyx
07-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Hmmm...it seems the value of my GH1 has just gone up! LOL

I'll trade my hack-able GH1 for two brand new in box US model GH1's. I'll even hack it before shipping to you. :D

Pietro Impagliazzo
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm about to buy a GH1... If this is true... Such a bummer!

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Guys, stop writing bunch of messsage in hysterical tone.
Go here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216575
I want to see this screen items on your "non-upgradable" camera:
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/60821/1278881645.jpg

Pietro Impagliazzo
07-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Vitaliy... I'm a real noob, I don't even own the camera yet.

Just to take note: This screen (that you need the screenshot) is called CAMERA INFO and I get to it through those steps, right?

Ozpeter
07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think it would be at all hard for Panasonic to make it harder for Ptool.

Change the firmware in new cameras so that it would not accept a firmware upgrade unless the upgrade had some magic number (not necessarily an increment value of "1" for instance).

The next firmware upgrade from Panny would then contain the magic number, and a new magic number required for next time. Etc etc.

That would mean that future firmware upgrades would have to be applied in sequence - you couldn't miss one. But that's not the end of the world as far as Panasonic are concerned, especially as there may now not be many upgrades to come.

I think we should post advice on this as if it were possible for those seeming to be "stuck" to actually be correct, not simply doing the upgrade wrong (which of course is often the reason - but now, maybe not always).

killagram
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I hate to admit this but I too am having the same problem. I purchased my GH1 from Amazon about two weeks ago. Was able to update it just fine (although I didn't tick the proper settings after entering them....duh). I was able to update just fine up to GH1__135.bin as of yesterday. Today I went to update EXCEPT THIS TIME I ACCIDENTALLY TICKED "VERSION INCREMENT" when previously I did not. Afterwards I could not update the GH1 any longer. It stays at version 1.3 according to the GH1 menu. Originally I received it with 1.2 and as I stated earlier, I was able to update it just fine.

Like many others I doubt that Panasonic released a "hack proof" firmware update since it's still numbered the same and this didn't occur on my camera due to downloading the most recent GH1__132.bin file. This occurred due to human error. Unfortunately though like dvxdib i cannot get out of the cycle. Like him I've tried different cards, different increments, different version pTools (initially I was using ver. 3.36 when this happened, since then I've tried 3.40d without any luck). I doubt he's lying to anyone here, what would be the point?

Any other ideas would be helpful and regardless of the outcome I'm still extremely happy with Tester13's work and of course the Panasonic GH1.

killagram
07-14-2010, 10:43 PM
No worries, yeah I'll be getting two hours of sleep before work then to catch a flight but **** it. Anyways MAKE SURE TO INCREASE THE VERSION CHANGE INCREMENT UP A NOTCH . It typically defaults to 1 and that worked for me for awhile. Then as I mentioned in the previous post I started ticking it again and it stopped updating. Increase the VERSION CHANGE FROM "1" to "2" and it should work great. I did NOT tick the Version Compare patch. I DID use the same version PTools (3.36) to achieve this.

Good luck dvxdib.

emory
07-15-2010, 12:57 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/60821/1278881645.jpg

I orginally posted this in the Firmware Hack subforum, but I think this one might be more appropriate because you gentlemen are knowledgeable about the service mode:

With the newer hack versions, reverting to the original Panasonic firmware is possible.

I'm wondering if, in the event of a repair under warranty, the Panasonic service station could see that a GH-1 had once been hacked by looking at the "service mode" screen similar to the one above.

Any ideas?

choedo
07-15-2010, 04:49 AM
my GF1
on "non-upgradable" camera
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/64892/1279194475.jpg

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-15-2010, 05:03 AM
First, fix your message.
Second, it is not required screen.
Read instructions carefully and provide screenshot of required screen (see above)!

HDVdiver
07-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Bought a new GH1 (Australian PAL) today...with 1.3 already on it. Spent a week reading about using ptool...so I'm reasonably certain I'm following correct procedure.

The camera will not accept a firmware update.

Reading the previous posts I suspect that the "game" is up...although I hope that is not the case.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Bought a new GH1 (Australian PAL) today...with 1.3 already on it. Spent a week reading about using ptool...so I'm reasonably certain I'm following correct procedure.

The camera will not accept a firmware update.

Reading the previous posts I suspect that the "game" is up...although I hope that is not the case.

At least you can read. :-)
So get me this screen.

HDVdiver
07-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Yes...so can Panasonic.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Yes...so can Panasonic.

So, you can read but can't think. This is sad.

MattinSTL
07-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Why would Panasonic be upset about all this? The only potential downside I can imagine is if they were getting an influx of screwed up cams with people claiming they simply broke... but Panasonic would still have the option of turning down repairs because they have no obligation to support user-modifications of their cameras.

I can't see Panasonic wanting to end what may very well be the most successful FREE (to Panasonic anyway) product-development program ever.

I returned a brand-new 7D to get a GH1 based solely on these developments. I imagine this has helped sell a ton of cameras.

If people were tricking out cars to make them perform better, and word got out that "x" car was the one to have because of how it could be tricked out to perform better... no company would try to secretly defeat the ability to modify the car. They'd sit back and enjoy the great reputation and increased sales. Existing stockpiles of cameras aren't the enemy of future stockpiles of cameras... they still need to be sold. If Panasonic suddenly stopped all this... how fast do you think the rest of those cameras would sell? And what do you think it would do to all of our perception of Panasonic as a company if they secretly pulled the rug out from under us?

The most logical conclusion is user error or some other unknown variable.

mtan
07-15-2010, 08:55 AM
But if Panasonic is planning to announce the gh2 soon, many people would not feel it necessary to upgrade. I surely will not buy a gh2 now, I might upgrade after the price comes down a bit depending on the new features. I doubt the video quality will be better than the hacked gh1.

svecher
07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
The most logical conclusion is user error or some other unknown variable.
Ok, let's look at some facts.
# of people posting in this thread about having trouble upgrading firmware - 5
# of people, who (as it turns out) have previously been able to apply modified firmware and made mistakes in the process - 2
# of people who are still having trouble - 3
# of people who are trying to help and posted clear instructions on how to diagnose the problem further - too many to count
# of people having the problem and trying to follow those instructions - 1
# of people having the problem and not following instructions - 2
# of those people making accusations - 2.

The community is trying to help. Sorry, guys, but you have to try harder.

killagram
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
My mistake was human error - I clearly didn't read the instruction tabs that tester13 placed within Ptools (3.36). With the advent of 3.40d and further revisions I'm guessing I'll be prone to make less mistakes as others.

What strikes me odd though is that at first I was able to upgrade the firmware at least three times without ticking the "Version Change" option. Then when I ticked it afterward, realizing it was necessary, bam! Couldn't update afterward until I ticked the option again and changed the default increment from "1" to "2". That I find strange since I never used the "Prevent Version Change" option. I'm sure there's a logical explanation and obviously I was doing something wrong. From what I understand you only use it once (initially for the first hacked upgrade), then henceforth you tick the "Prevent Version Change" to avoid such errors.

Either way I'm happy to have a "C settings" GH1 successfully hacked. Thanks again for such a valuable tool and patient support.

MattinSTL
07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Svecher... I was trying to be nice in adding "or some other unknown variable"... :)

dvxdib
07-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi,
There is a very simple answer to all this. I just need a few members to tell me that they have been able to use Ptool with a factory installed Ver 1.3. (I repeat a factory installed Ver 1.3 i.e a camera bought with this version installed, not updated to this version)
So far there has been NONE!
DIB

HDVdiver
07-15-2010, 05:26 PM
So, you can read but can't think. This is sad.

So you can read and think...but have lost your manners. That is also sad.

I will do what I can to sort out the nature of the "problem". At this stage I am not discounting any possibility including user error. I will try to do the installation on another couple of GH1 bodies and see what happens.

Has anyone actually successfully hacked a GH1 with factory installed Ver 1.3? Knowing this would be the first obvious step in eliminating alternative explanations.

rambooc1
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
[quote=HDVdiver;2048856]

HDVidiver you have a PM

MR Fanny
07-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi,
There is a very simple answer to all this. I just need a few members to tell me that they have been able to use Ptool with a factory installed Ver 1.3. (I repeat a factory installed Ver 1.3 i.e a camera bought with this version installed, not updated to this version)
DIB

i would have thought this was quite a simple request. I think its v1.3 related too. seems like new GF1 owners with updated firmware from box are having trouble too.

Kin Lau
07-15-2010, 07:19 PM
I received my GH1 today in the mail, and new out of the box, it had 1.2, not 1.3.

I updated it to 1.3, and when trying to update to the hacked firmware using ptools 3.40d, I kept getting the dreaded "No valid picture to play" message, unless I had _both_ "Version Increment" and "Prevent Version Compare" ticked.

One last item... if the battery is not fully charged, the camera will not go into the firmware update mode. This is an absolute, non-negotiable requirement. Anything less than 3 bars simply won't work.

rambooc1
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
One last item... if the battery is not fully charged, the camera will not go into the firmware update mode. This is an absolute, non-negotiable requirement. Anything less than 3 bars simply won't work.

Just to add to that, never, ever while upgrading FW use a NON original (after market) battery if you have one. It shows full on the bar indicator and then within a few mins it dies and shuts the camera down. Not had this happen on the supplied Panasonic battery.

This almost caught me out, be careful.

R

mico
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
posting mistake

HDVdiver
07-16-2010, 03:56 AM
Hi,
DIB

Tried it on a new-in -the box GF1 (1.2) and another GH1 (1.3) today in a friend's camera store. I had no intention of installing anything...just wanted to see if the "No Picture" message came up.

Unfortunately it did for both cameras.

I'm amused that there are some folks who think Panasonic doesn't have a bloody good reason to put a lid on people hacking their firmware. As someone with experience in high tech manufacturing I'm surprised it took them this long. :(

rambooc1
07-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Hang 5, if this is true, i recon Vitaliy will rise to the occasion.

R

Svart
07-16-2010, 06:47 AM
I have three cards I use with the GH1. Only two of those cards work when updating firmware. The last one does not. It always says "no valid picture to play" when I try to use it to update.

Maybe it's your cards?

Ozpeter
07-16-2010, 07:01 AM
HDVDiver, just by way of ensuring objective analysis - have you used Ptool yourself previously? In other words, if you are an experienced Ptooler and you couldn't get it to work on these cameras, that's one thing, but if you are not, that does leave scope for the possibility of a user error.

That's a genuine question asked with respect - I'm perfectly open to the concept that Panasonic have indeed taken some action (and given that they went to the trouble of disabling 3rd party battery use, and Ptool reversed that, they'd be very likely to want to do what they can to stop 3rd party battery use again).

svecher
07-16-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm amused that there are some folks who think Panasonic doesn't have a bloody good reason to put a lid on people hacking their firmware. As someone with experience in high tech manufacturing I'm surprised it took them this long. :(
I'm amused you haven't yet provided the information he is asking for so he can help you. I just went and tried the procedure described under "Temporary Service Mode" myself. It couldn't be easier! http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2044384&postcount=2. The only hard thing is pushing all the bloody tiny buttons at the same time. To get to "camera info screen" I just pressed "Left Arrow" and "Menu Set" with one fat finger and with another pressed "Film Mode".
BTW under camera info screen I see VER 0. 01 :0000 (Due to 'Version Compare Patch' applied)

HDVdiver
07-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm amused you haven't yet provided the information he is asking for so he can help you.

Last night I was too tired to do it...today I don't particularly care to.

Already sold the castrated GH1...got a nice new 1.2 version on the way. :smile:

Savart...thanks for your suggestion. That did occur to me. I initially used a class 6 Verbatim then tried again with a class 6 SanDisk and a class 10 Sandisk.

Ozpeter...believe me I was hoping I'd done something wrong. When I posted last night it was 1 am so I wasn't firing on all cylinders. Today I reviewed the procedure. It's reasonably straight forward once the correct protocol is clear. As I said before I would be happy to find out I'm wrong about a firmware lock...but I really think that is the problem.

I'll update when I get the 1.2 version GH1.

Cheers

dvxdib
07-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi,
I have put the camera into Temporary Service Mode.

The new version of the Firmware is Ver 1.34:0000

Any chance of a hack for this or should I start to think like others and sell the camera for a Ver 1.2?

DIB

Ian-T
07-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Why don't you just try it?

Svart
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
v1.34?

I thought 1.32 was the last official version and then there was 1.33 released as that strange phantom release in Europe?

svecher
07-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi,

Any chance of a hack for this or should I start to think like others and sell the camera for a Ver 1.2?

DIB
Ok, DIB, thank you.

I wonder if there is a way in service mode to dump firmware image onto card. ROM Backup I understand is only settings, correct?

Svart, do you have that service manual still? I tried NURBS's link in the other thread, but the file has been removed. It seems.

MR Fanny
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi,

DIB

well there ya go...some proof that firmware has been updated to v1.34 with parameters blocking updates using v1.32 firmware possibly. you can take that crazy man hat off your head now =).

Pietro Impagliazzo
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
well there ya go...some proof that firmware has been updated to v1.34 with parameters blocking updates using v1.32 firmware possibly. you can take that crazy man hat off your head now =).

Nice to have some concrete info.

My GH1 is on its way...

:kali:

Svart
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
What's concrete? We know that he is running something called V1.34.

That's where our knowledge stops. Did this come from the factory? We don't know.

Did someone do the hack to a camera and return it to a store who sold it as new again? We don't know.

Did the user update the camera and somehow miss that they did it? We don't know.

I don't think anything is concrete yet.

svecher
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, if you enter increment version 2 in PTool I believe it will show the same version number. Battery is down to two lines, so I can't confirm.

If PTool modified firmware version was loaded on DIB's camera he would need to use increment version 3 or higher. It would still be very useful to post the upgrade video just to finally rule user error out.

There has been no official mention of firmware version 1.34 from Panasonic. So let's establish all the facts first before continuing with "adversarial route" discussion.

dvxdib
07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all your comments.

I have no hardware to video the actual process but I can go through the stages in detail.

I have :
1. Downloaded the ptool3d.zip file
2. Extracted the ptool3 application. (Also tried with previous versions of Ptool)
3. Downloaded the GH1__V13.zip file from the Panasonic site
4. Extracted the GH1__132.bin file
5. Run the ptool3 application
6. Loaded the firmware GH1__132.bin file
7. Here I have tried many many many combinations. For example.
Click ON Version increment and change the value to say 3. (I have tried many values here ranging from 1 to 12)
Check the actual Version increment check box
Click ON Prevent version compare (also tried this many times unchecked)
Click ON Patches for end users
Check the box for third part batteries. (A while ago I gave up actually trying to change further options until I could get the firmware to update)
Click on Save Firmware
Save as GH1__135 (Again I have tried many names from GH1__131 to GH1__142)
8. Reformat the SD card in the camera. (I have tried 4 different SD cards all different sizes and classes.)
9. Copied the bin file from the computer folder to the ROOT folder of the SD card. (I have used two different computers for the whole process - a desk top and a laptop)
10. Switched on the camera and pressed the green play button.
11. I get the message "NO VALID PICTURES TO PLAY"

I have also tried a bin file emailed to me by another member - same result.

I really hope you can spot an error in the process above, but I think that Panasonics new Ver 1.34 is blocking the update process.

DIB

rundavids
07-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Does your file when saved have the ".bin"?
Also, are you using a sd card reader to transfer firmware?
Did you format sd card in camera?
Did you reset the camera settings to default in camera?

How did you get the Firmware 1.34? Where did you purchase camera?

MR Fanny
07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
from my understanding he has never been able to update the firmware out of the box. it came with v1.34. Svart and svecher has a point though that it could have been a returned unit possibly.

a confirmation DIB's on whether your using usb to camera or card reader would help. usb is known to corrupt bin file on transfer.

HDVdiver
07-16-2010, 11:12 PM
For what is worth, my procedure was exactly the same as outlined by dvxdib.

Tried many variations of ptool 3.40d paramerters. Both "increment" and "compare" ticked or only one. Made no difference. Also tried ptool 3.36.

I never use usb for SD file transfer since all my computers have slots. My (former) camera was absolutely factory sealed...it's not hard to tell if someone has buggered around with the seals. I also think it unlikely that the other GH1 and GF1 I tried in the shop were "returns".

When my new version 1.2 GH1 gets here from the US I will try the SD cards which already have the hacked firmware on them. If that works...and it will... things will clarify very quickly as to what's going on.

choedo
07-17-2010, 12:02 AM

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/64892/1279194475.jpg

On my "non-upgradable" GF1 which can not be updated.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Again.
This is WRONG SCREEN.
I provided exact screen I want to see and link to thread with instructions how to get it.

choedo
07-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Again.
This is WRONG SCREEN.
I provided exact screen I want to see and link to thread with instructions how to get it.
I‘m sorry,What about this time.
Still on GF1
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/64892/1279370317.jpg

choedo
07-18-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/64892/1279464633.jpg

versamaz
07-18-2010, 12:40 PM
What version of firmware did it come with?
It came with 1.1

Repp
07-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Well, after what Choedo posted, I tried again to get into service mode. No luck. I also tried again w/ hack using Version increment of 3, and saving it as GF1__125.bin No luck there. It looks as though there is a quick flash to a green triangle just before it gives me the "there is no pic" message.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Here is specially for your info:

PTool 3.40d updated

"Additional version patch" added to testers patches for guys with newest Panasonic firmware versions flashed on factory (GH1 and GF1).

arknox
07-19-2010, 06:33 AM
I really hope that this doesn't put a wet blanket over the whole hacked GH1 movement here. Let me just assume for the moment that this 1.34 version was created by Panasonic and is a genuine attempt to lock firmware. If this new 1.34 version is uncrackable Panasonic has essentially won and backed us hacked users into a corner, closing the door on this whole great thing, which really saddens me. It makes it difficult for people to get a hold of a GH1 with the intention of cracking it. It also makes it difficult for people who already have a cracked GH1 and for some reason want or need another one. It makes me think about buying a spare. Get one that was made too early it's more likely that FPN and banding will be an issue, and the lugs might fall off. Get one too late and it's firmware locked. I really hope Vitaliy and the other firmware geniuses rise to this new challenge and I hope that this whole movement can be kept alive!

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-19-2010, 06:38 AM
You are really luky that I don't have right to ban people here :-)
Most of this thread is below any possible level.

arknox
07-19-2010, 06:49 AM
You can't ban me, I've been following this since the beginning, before all these sub forms existed :-) Anyway, I just noticed on the development thread that Ptool was updated to deal with this, all I can say is unbelievable response time. You don't always have kindest of words Vitaliy but you're still a legend.

Repp
07-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Charging the battery now. Any specific settings I should or should not go for when using the "additional version patch"

Was planning on just doing the "Version Increment" (set to 3, saved as GF1__125.bin) "Prevent Version Compare" and "All Interface Languages" with the "additional version patch" as a start to see how it works.

Repp
07-19-2010, 08:17 AM
ok, just tried it with Version increment and without it, using prevent version compare. Getting the same "there is no picture" message. Let me know if I should be using a specific setting, or if you want me to test something.

And thanks Vitaliy, for actually taking the time and effort to look into this.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-19-2010, 08:29 AM
And thanks Vitaliy, for actually taking the time and effort to look into this.

Use only additional version patch plus Version increment, and set increment to at least 30.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-19-2010, 09:03 AM
You can't ban me, I've been following this since the beginning, before all these sub forms existed :-) Anyway, I just noticed on the development thread that Ptool was updated to deal with this, ..

You just don't get my dark humour :-)

svecher
07-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Is a method to dump firmware, not just ROM, to SD card known?

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Is a method to dump firmware, not just ROM, to SD card known?

I prefer not to answer this question until early October.

Repp
07-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Use only additional version patch plus Version increment, and set increment to at least 30.

Tried it with 30, and 50. Still getting the "there is no picture". I go to work in about an hour, let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

JJJ
07-20-2010, 05:01 AM
Hi, My first post as I just wanted to respond to this thread as recently bought my GH1 in UK and have just successfully updated it on my first attempt. Original firmware 1.32:0000 now shows as 0.01:0000. Using ptool on Linux through wine. Saved file as GH1__150.bin. I took pics of the before and after version numbers displayed on camera in temporary service mode, I can upload/email if anyone is interested and can tell me how to do it.
I'm not sure how to attach my seta.ini file, but here it is copied out...

[Information]
Comment=My first settings
SD_Card=Transcend 8Gb class 10
Camera=GH1 v1.32
[Settings]
Version increment=30
Prevent version compare=Checked
Third-party battery=Checked
30min limit removal=Checked
720p30 420->422 color sampling=Checked
E1 Quality=384
E1 Table=24
E2 Quality=330
E2 Table=24
E3 Quality=300
E3 Table=24
E4 Quality=276
E4 Table=24
Native 24p/25p=Checked
Video Bitrate FHD/SH=32000000
Overall Bitrate=34000000
Limiting Bitrate=40000000
Additional version patch=Checked

svecher
07-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Hi, My first post as I just wanted to respond to this thread as recently bought my GH1 in UK and have just successfully updated it on my first attempt. Original firmware 1.32:0000 now shows as 0.01:0000. Using ptool on Linux through wine. Saved file as GH1__150.bin. I took pics of the before and after version numbers displayed on camera in temporary service mode, I can upload/email if anyone is interested and can tell me how to do it.
I'm not sure how to attach my seta.ini file, but here it is copied out...

JJJ, the [potentially troublesome] firmware in question is v1.34 for GH1, but glad the upgrade went well and welcome to the club :)

roykwan
07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I have no luck either after trying so many different combinations of version patch and version increment. The camera still does not detect the bin file no matter I use a new card or an old card. I am running Windows 7 on a Mac I suppose this is not the reason why it doesn't work on me. I just want to change the Japanese menu to English so that my wife can use the GF1. Really appreciate if you can help....Thanks

Repp
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Roykwan, not sure if it would help your wife as much as it helped me, but here's the link to the manual in english (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-GF1K-K).

tired
07-21-2010, 05:04 AM
I was having the same trouble initially but it's fine now - language change & ntsc to pal working fine

roykwan
07-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi tired, do you mind sharing with us what kind of difficulties you have encountered? And how did you resolve it finally? Thanks. I am very frustrated.....

Caesar
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I prefer not to answer this question until early October.Why?

tired
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
initially the firmware would'nt load - "no picture" message but once I ticked both version increment & version compare - it loaded.

the menu went from english to Japanese so I then had to run ptool again to tick the All Interface Language box - uploaded, changed the language to English and that's it.

I'm now ready to shoot some footage pre bitrate increase, run the hack again and then compare.

MR Fanny
07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
initially the firmware would'nt load - "no picture" message but once I ticked both version increment & version compare - it loaded.

the menu went from english to Japanese so I then had to run ptool again to tick the All Interface Language box - uploaded, changed the language to English and that's it.

I'm now ready to shoot some footage pre bitrate increase, run the hack again and then compare.

question here is what firmware did you originally have beforehand if it is the newest one listed on this thread or earlier.

tired
07-22-2010, 04:30 AM
I had 1.2 - only purchased a week ago

roykwan
07-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I still have zero luck making it works.....very frustrated indeed. What version increment did you use, tired?

woody
07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
just bought new GH1, brand spanking new in everyway, with the latest 1.3 firmware installed.
same problems as the original poster. i feel your pain!
After trawling the internet, the best guess will be that the new firmware installed on the camera from the factory, negates or is of a version higher than the GH1__132.bin file, hence it cannot be improved upon. which i'm sure is your conclusion here too?
This will probably happen when Panasonic release their next upgrade.(hopefully SOON) and the wonderful community hacks this too.

svecher
07-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Woody, did you try version increment of at least 30 + the additional version patch mentioned here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2051815&postcount=17?

It is located under Patches for Testers -> Version Related.

shooter_
07-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Woody, did you try version increment of at least 30 + the additional version patch mentioned here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2051815&postcount=17?

It is located under Patches for Testers -> Version Related.What exactly does it mean?

Did Panasonic block the hack or not?

Is there any new version for the latest 1.3 firmware installed on new factory units?
If so, where?

shooter_
07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
What confusion! Did Panasonic block the hack? I need to buy one and now there are a lot of people saying the hack doesn't work with the latest factory units... Is that so?

Homunculus
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
then buy a used one there was just 2 or 3 being sold mint condition in the for sale section here on this site

shooter_
07-22-2010, 11:15 PM
No hope for new anymore then?

Repp
07-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Seeing as how Vitaliy has already tried to make a patch for it shortly after I started this thread... I have confidence that he will continue to work his magic!

Skeptikal
07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
What exactly does it mean?

Did Panasonic block the hack or not?

Yes.

I have two GH1's. Older one with ver 1.2 takes the hack; a more recent new body with ver 1.3 doesn't.

Pathetic for Panasonic to do this so late in the camera's production life. :angry:

Chrispy
07-23-2010, 01:16 AM
here we go AGAIN.

FIRST.
Format your card in camera.

SECOND.
Load panasonics firmware in Ptool.
•CHECK VERSION INCREMENT
•AT THE BOTTOM CHANGE THE NUMBER 1 TO 50 (This is just in case Panasonic shipped you camera post-hacked)
•CHECK PREVENT VERSION COMPARE

THIRD
•Click Save firmware
•Save the file in the same directory as your panasonic firmware and click on it
•Don't overwrite, just change the 1.32 to 1.33 your file should now look like GH1__133
•Save

FOURTH
•TRANSFER YOUR NEWLY HACKED FIRMWARE TO THE CARD YOU FORMATTED IN CAMERA. JUST DRAG ONTO THE CARD, DON'T PUT IT IN ANY OF THE FOLDERS.

FIFTH
•MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA IS OFF, AND LOAD THE CARD INTO CAMERA.
•TURN CAMERA ON AND PRESS PLAY.
•ONCE THE FIRMWARE IS LOADED, CHECK YOUR VERSION. IF IT SAYS 0.0, SUCCESS.
•FROM NOW ON, DO NOT CHECK VERSION INCREMENT, ONLY PREVENT VERSION COMPARE

After having many issues with loading ANY firmware I just followed these steps exactly
and it worked....THANK YOU......

crunchy
07-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Some time ago someone mentioned that firmware loading is working for him only when dial is in "CUST" mode. When I mod my camera, I always put it in "CUST" instead of Manual Movie mode before switching on the camera and pressing play button. I suppose that it doesn't matter, but you may try it, anyway.

tired
07-23-2010, 04:50 AM
mine is pretty new purchased from Taiwan and arrived last week. it shipped with firmware 1.2

out of the box it was NTSC (said the card I inserted was an incompatable format)

I think the increment I used for Version Increment was 50 (Vitaly's recommendation?)

it wasn't until I ticked both version increment & prevent version compare that it worked.

shooter_
07-23-2010, 05:21 AM
yeah crunchy but you forgot to say what original factory firmware you had.

Lflex
07-23-2010, 07:17 AM
I am living in Japan and got my Japanese GF1 yesterday. I have not been able to apply the hack with or without the "additional version patch" in ptool 3.40d. Needless to say I have tried the suggestions in this thread as well as variations without luck.
I appreciate the effort of all the smart people and hope for some alternate suggestions.

Thanks.

versamaz
07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
When I received my GF1 from Japan, it wasn't fully charged even though it says that it has 3 bars, tried hacking for the first time when I got it and didn't work. Fully charge the battery first! ;)

Lflex
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
When I received my GF1 from Japan, it wasn't fully charged even though it says that it has 3 bars, tried hacking for the first time when I got it and didn't work. Fully charge the battery first! ;)

Thanks for the tip. However, I have worked with the battery fully charged, both according to the charger status light and the battery status bars.

BTW: I have tried to enter Temp Service Mode as described here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216575 but without luck. The regular user menu states that firmware v1.2 is installed.

26 July 2010: I now succeded in accessing Temp Service Mode and version is indeed: VER 1.24:0000, NO.: F921006240077 etc. like suspected.

fox_moudle
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi!
I bought my gf1 this week , and i met the exact problem like you!
Can anyone help?

fox_moudle
07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
My is also v1.24 like choedo posted, without any luck :(

Black_Ste
07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
This is being discussed on the thread below. It seems this new factory installed firmware may need further hacking. Please post further messages there.

http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=216881

onthejazz
07-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Boy is this thread interesting to me!

I also bought a camera just 2-days ago from the 'curry's' retailer in the UK. It also has body firmware 1.3 and I have had absolutely no joy with ptools 3.4

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Most probably it is much more serious then I initially thought.

I advise to look at production data of your body, as 1.34 (and 1.24 for GF1) firmware release data is 02.06(june).2010.

All this circus with 1.33 and 1.34 also means that we'll see marketing problems in GF2 and GH2 cases.

bonobored
07-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Found this on another forum:

"Official Panasonic
Hi everyone,

If you ever have any questions for Panasonic please join http://www.facebook.com/panasonic or http://www.twitter.com/panasonicdirect and we will do our best to respond as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Team Panasonic

So why don't we all take their invitation and let them know how we feel about blocking the Tester13 hack?

Homunculus
07-24-2010, 01:08 PM
is it seriously blocked?
has that been confirmed? Or is it just a few people that can't figure it out.

Blackout
07-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I just tweeted them... but I doubt they will answer

http://twitter.com/BlackoutsBox

Brian@202020
07-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Here is my thoughts on what is happening. I dealt with this last week. My friend got a "NEW" GH1 on ebay. The hack didn't take. What happened is that it was already hacked and it was a Chinese model. Someone hacked it to change the language and repackage it so it could be sold in the US so a middle man somewhere could make a buck. So technically it was "NEW" it just had Vitally's firmware already on it. It didn't have the version compare patch installed so what I did was do a new firmware install with the "version compare patch" checked, and the "version increment patch" checked with a value of 8, and then named the firmware GH1__140. It finally took.

diego1235467
07-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I thought it wasn't blocked. I don't understand what the heck is going on.

rundavids
07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Some people purchased new gh1 with 1.3 firmware and can hack because it's 1.32 v. There are also people claiming or have a newer 1.33 or 1.34 and cannot hack. Make sure it's 1.32 or below to be safe.

diego1235467
07-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Well I won't receive it until Friday. If it were a 1.33 or higher, what could I do? Is there a way to go back to 1.32? I'm incredibly confused and angry about all of this.

Not only did I buy it a day before the price dropped on Amazon, but now I might not even be able to hack the damn thing? For crying out loud...

rundavids
07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
The new ptool has a new version check that might work. You would have to ask around or if someone responds.

versamaz
07-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I just don't get it, why would they do that? They're just killing themselves. I have already set my mind on buying another GF1.

n8ture
07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Wow, just got mine like a week ago. Glad it has the older firmware. Installed the hack with no issues.

Brian@202020
07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

The GH1 has not been updated from Panasonic since May 10 2010. As of today 7/24/10, if you have a higher firmware than 1.32, IT IS THE HACK, so it can be reversed using the method I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Brian@202020
07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Here is my thoughts on what is happening. I dealt with this last week. My friend got a "NEW" GH1 on ebay. The hack didn't take. What happened is that it was already hacked and it was a Chinese model. Someone hacked it to change the language and repackage it so it could be sold in the US so a middle man somewhere could make a buck. So technically it was "NEW" it just had Vitally's firmware already on it. It didn't have the version compare patch installed so what I did was do a new firmware install with the "version compare patch" checked, and the "version increment patch" checked with a value of 8, and then named the firmware GH1__140. It finally took.

roykwan
07-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Well thanks Vitaliy and others for the input. I just spent another 2 hours trying different combinations of version increment / version patch / version check / file names / sim cards / computers and my GF1 still cannot detect the bin file when I hit play.....I believe my GF1 is a newer version as it already has 1.2 installed...All I need is to change the menu to English and that's it......I noticed that the new bin has the same file size as the GF1_122.bin, is that normal (just trying to find out why)...Or is it something stupid I did that on my GF1 / computer / ptool bin file generate that causes the problem? Thanks....

Repp
07-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Brian: that makes since. The cost of the cameras over here is cheaper (I paid about $160 less for my GF1 than what it sells for from Amazon.com and a few other US websites). You could make a nice profit buying Japanese language only cameras, just hack them and mail them off. However, I bought mine from a camera shop in Okinawa that had to order it from Panasonic because they ran out of them... Pretty sure it isn't already hacked.

Lflex
07-25-2010, 03:32 AM
I bought mine from a camera shop in Okinawa that had to order it from Panasonic because they ran out of them... Pretty sure it isn't already hacked.

Same here. There is no way mine was hacked prior to my purchase. I bought from an official dealer in Tokyo.

I thought version 1.22 was the latest official GF1 firmware. Is there any mention anywhere of what firmware v1.24 does - other than prevent the ability to hack?

regards.

onthejazz
07-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Camera INFO.

Ver 1.34: 0000
No. X041006230001
PWRCNT: 93
SHTCNT: 45
STBCNT: 0

woody
07-25-2010, 05:43 AM

It is located under Patches for Testers -> Version Related.

hey,
yes tried this and many other variations too.
Also this weekend i have tried different SD cards as this has been a problem for some users, again with no luck.
Still i've managed to get some awesome looking videos from the camera without the hack, but my main reason for purchase was the full HD, higher bitrate work around. The videos i've shot are just a little short of the broadcast quality that i would like (that's not to say i can't use it for broadcast, rather i personally wouldn't use it for technical reasons with the codec bitrate)
I'm sure its just a matter of time before its hacked once more with this newer version of the firmware. Hopefully!

bonobored
07-25-2010, 07:14 AM
It seems Panny could clear this up with an answer but if you check their Facebook page, they haven't responded to any queries regarding the GH1 hack. This makes me think that they are guilty as hell and don't have the balls to make a statement. Haven't responded to a few tweets I and some friends have made either. I think somebody at Panasonic let their ego overide their common sense.

MattinSTL
07-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Well I won't receive it until Friday. If it were a 1.33 or higher, what could I do? Is there a way to go back to 1.32? I'm incredibly confused and angry about all of this.

Not only did I buy it a day before the price dropped on Amazon, but now I might not even be able to hack the damn thing? For crying out loud...

I wouldn't sweat it... I got mine from B&H also... just a few weeks before you... everything went smooth as silk. Our cams probably came off the storage shelf just a few boxes away from each other (odds are, same batch).

Frankly... the whole "hack blocked" idea is gossip spreading at this point... and also shows why people aren't getting constant personal attention in hacking their own camera. Just follow some of the threads where somebody was struggling... then comes back and says they followed a break-down verbatim... and then it works.

The blocked firmware idea is probably a result of the person having trouble, not realizing they did something wrong initially... and they have no way of going back to see what mistake they made. Previously it was suggested that somebody set a cam up on tripod and document the process... I still think this is a good idea... just for personal insurance.

Shinobi Productions
07-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Agreed. Got mine from BH a week or so ago, hacked without issue when following instructions.

I wouldn't sweat it... I got mine from B&H also... just a few weeks before you... everything went smooth as silk. Our cams probably came off the storage shelf just a few boxes away from each other (odds are, same batch).

Frankly... the whole "hack blocked" idea is gossip spreading at this point... and also shows why people aren't getting constant personal attention in hacking their own camera. Just follow some of the threads where somebody was struggling... then comes back and says they followed a break-down verbatim... and then it works.

The blocked firmware idea is probably a result of the person having trouble, not realizing they did something wrong initially... and they have no way of going back to see what mistake they made. Previously it was suggested that somebody set a cam up on tripod and document the process... I still think this is a good idea... just for personal insurance.

Luis Caffesse
07-25-2010, 08:58 AM
... the whole "hack blocked" idea is gossip spreading at this point...

That is the most important thing to take away from this thread.
Just wanted to make sure everyone caught that.
Once more, with feeling:

... the whole "hack blocked" idea is gossip spreading at this point...

Let's keep that in mind before we go off the deep end here.

shooter_
07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Okay, but there are also units in the market that you cannot hack.

Luis Caffesse
07-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Okay, but there are also units in the market that you cannot hack.

Let's be careful what we post as fact until there is conclusive evidence for that.
Until we know for certain that someone has a unit that cannot be hacked, and that has not already been hacked, this is only a rumor.

So far everything points to either user error or prehacked gray market cameras purchased through third party sellers.

rundavids
07-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I haven't physically seen proof of the new firmware, but been reading up on some threads. And Vitaly recently released a new version change in ptool for the people with new firmware. That should work seeing he's the creator.
Also, only like 3-4 people have been having trouble... So go figure.

diego1235467
07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I think I'm just going to try and buy a used camera and return mine to B&H, just to be safe. I'll ask this again, but trying to hack the cam won't void the return policy, will it?
@ Shinobi & Mattin, do you know if you had the factory 1.34 firmware when you got it?

Shinobi Productions
07-25-2010, 10:28 AM
@ Shinobi & Mattin, do you know if you had the factory 1.34 firmware when you got it?

It was 1.32 and was from B&H

diego1235467
07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
See? All I've heard is that version 1.34 is on the new models and can't be hacked, so of course you were able to.

Brian@202020
07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
So far everything points to either user error or prehacked gray market cameras purchased through third party sellers.

I've been saying this since yesterday.

diego1235467
07-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Not according to Vitaliy Kiselev:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=218001

Question # 2.

MattinSTL
07-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Interesting development.

Diego... did you see that another member besides me just bought a GH1 from B&H? Before you panic and return your cam, maybe you should check the serial number.

I'm not sure how to read the number on the bottom (to establish date)... I think this is another question that should be answered sooner then later if anybody knows. I'm looking for that answer right now.

Unfortunately I didn't go through the menu to see what my firmware said before running the hack. I also didn't LOAD in Panasonic's firmware before running the hack. I downloaded the firmware per the link in the sticky... then ran it through Ptool... incrementing the version anyway (even though I could have supposedly stayed at 1.32 I incremented it to 1.33 via ticking "increment version"... then did the rest according to the sticky)... then when I put the card in my cam it asked if I wanted to update... I clicked "yes" and the cam took about 3-5 minutes to fill a green bar until it went back to normal... then I turned off the cam, turned it back on... and then went to version... and it says "0.0"... which, according to the sticky, means everything went OK.

That's all I can tell you for certain... but if I were you, I would not panic... since your cam is going to ship to you no matter what now anyway... why don't you wait until it arrives and see what the version is? Or lets see if we can interpret the serial numbers... because as I said... I really expect your cam was within 2 or 3 boxes away from mine... on the same shelf.

nathankw
07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Wow - panasonic are so dumb.
I've got an early GH1, and was thinking of getting a second body as a spare (plus some say the newer sensors are better). But if there's a risk I can't hack it... no way.

They've just lost themselves a purchase and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

cryso
07-25-2010, 01:43 PM
MattinSTL,

That's good advice. I just bought a GH1 myself (from J&R). I'm hoping I'll be able to hack mine as well.

Would you mind pointing us to the sticky where you downloaded your firmware? I tried searching but wasn't able to find it. I'm just getting more and more confused about this whole process.

:dankk2:

diego1235467
07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
The only problem with waiting for it to arrive is that I may lose out on some good deals for other used cams.
At the same time, if I bought a used one and then found out that the new one would have worked, I'd be just as pissed :P
I'll have to chat to some of the people who want to sell me their cams, and in the meantime think about what I should do.

*EDIT
and thanks for the help so far. It's good to know not everyone will blow off us newbies ;)

cordvision
07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I wanted to buy one yesterday, but I decided against it when I read that panasonic might have blocked the firmware hack.... and it looks like it's definitely confirmed by now: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=218001

MattinSTL
07-25-2010, 02:19 PM
MattinSTL,

That's good advice. I just bought a GH1 myself (from J&R). I'm hoping I'll be able to hack mine as well.

Would you mind pointing us to the sticky where you downloaded your firmware? I tried searching but wasn't able to find it. I'm just getting more and more confused about this whole process.

:dankk2:

There's a sticky in the sub-forum that this thread is in... in yellow, up top. I followed that exactly and everything went fine.

I guess the issue now is... if the Panasonic firmware is changed... does the link that was given for Panasonic firmware now give "bad" (i.e. updated) firmware?

In that case, an individual would want somebody to provide them with the firmware that was saved on their computer from a successful hack (meaning the original Panasonic firmware that they downloaded weeks ago)... and then run THAT through Ptool 3.40d. I would not try to load in somebody else's already hacked firmware... but rather load in the original Panasonic firmware and perform the firmware hack for yourself.

As I'm not sure of the legalities of distributing firmware... I'm not going to do it and I'm not suggesting YOU do that... but until this issue is sorted... I wouldn't download firmware from a Panasonic site TODAY.

sparedog
07-25-2010, 02:31 PM
my question is this: i cannot believe that all the shops in europe have sold off all their stock, and there hasn't been recall with every shop returning the cameras to panasonic, so how can panasonic change the firmware? it is not possible. i cant imagine most shop owners here in spain, trying to upgrade the firmware for panasonic themselves, that would be a disaster lol

plus, surely if these cameras are made in japan, or china, they would have to be imported in the thousands, and then sit in a warehouse somewhere locally. again can you imagine some poor guy going through every box, unpacking the camera, updating the 'hackproof' panasonic firmware, packing the camera carefully back into the box, all without damaging either the camera, the box, or losing any of the parts. i dont know about japan, but that ain't gonna happen in spain lol

'please don't feed the trolls' :)

Skeptikal
07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
The people who still doubt that Panasonic haven't locked the firmware at the factory for the most recent batch of GH1 and GF1 bodies obviously haven't expienced the frustration of spending top dollar for a new body and then not being able to apply the hack...when they have already applied the hack to a body purchased earlier.

Speaking from experience (GH1...new, Australian shop; and GF1 ...new, Ebay, Taiwan) it's not much fun.

Black_Ste
07-25-2010, 11:58 PM
The uneducated guess is:

Panasonic has secretly modified, but not updated, their firmware so that the locations PTool write to may have been changed. They have NO plan to release this changed firmware to public because it do not contain any 'updates' and it would then expose itself to be examined for possible hacks. Another far fetched prediction would be that there will be no more public firmware updates for GH1 and GF1 in their life cycle.

Cameras with the new factory modified firmware (GH1 1.34) will not take the hacked firmware which is based on the 1.32 version (GH1). B&H and other US retailers are selling old stock which may be more than a month old and will happily take the hack. The current reports of unhackable cameras come mostly from purchases made in Japan and Asia where it is likely to be of the fresh production. It then would be only a matter of time the new stock reach other countries.

There may be also instances that people bought the camera cheaper in Japan and hacked the firmware to change language and sold this for a profit. Such cameras without version compare patch will show up with any version number from 1.32 or what the hacker chose to number it. Such camera can be hacked by incrementing to a higher version number. If the hack left the camera at version 0.0, then it is proven hacked and will take further hacks even without version increase. This does not mean unhackable firmware do not exist.

I doubt the 1.32 version of the firmware available from Panasonic is changed in anyway. It will render itself to be modified by PTool and can be used on all cameras with firmwares up to 1.32. If it us changed, then it is reasonable to believe that PTool will not be able to open or modify it. I could be wrong though.

Since a B&H ad for the GH1 apparently mentioned the hack, buyers of B&H could perhaps ask for the firmware version (from the service mode menu) of the stock in hand before purchase. This could be one way of pushing Panasonic, though they may not budge.

Without downloadable firmware, hacks could become difficult.

MR Fanny
07-26-2010, 01:26 AM
The uneducated guess is:

Panasonic has secretly modified, but not updated, their firmware so that the locations PTool write to may have been changed. They have NO plan to release this changed firmware to public because it do not contain any 'updates' and it would then expose itself to be examined for possible hacks. Another far fetched prediction would be that there will be no more public firmware updates for GH1 and GF1 in their life cycle.

Cameras with the new factory modified firmware (GH1 1.34) will not take the hacked firmware which is based on the 1.32 version (GH1). B&H and other US retailers are selling old stock which may be more than a month old and will happily take the hack. The current reports of unhackable cameras come mostly from purchases made in Japan and Asia where it is likely to be of the fresh production. It then would be only a matter of time the new stock reach other countries.

There may be also instances that people bought the camera cheaper in Japan and hacked the firmware to change language and sold this for a profit. Such cameras without version compare patch will show up with any version number from 1.32 or what the hacker chose to number it. Such camera can be hacked by incrementing to a higher version number. If the hack left the camera at version 0.0, then it is proven hacked and will take further hacks even without version increase. This does not mean unhackable firmware do not exist.

I doubt the 1.32 version of the firmware available from Panasonic is changed in anyway. It will render itself to be modified by PTool and can be used on all cameras with firmwares up to 1.32. If it us changed, then it is reasonable to believe that PTool will not be able to open or modify it. I could be wrong though.

Since a B&H ad for the GH1 apparently mentioned the hack, buyers of B&H could perhaps ask for the firmware version (from the service mode menu) of the stock in hand before purchase. This could be one way of pushing Panasonic, though they may not budge.

Without downloadable firmware, hacks could become difficult.

+1

Like I said before, unless one has that particular camera with v1.34 infront of them to see for themselves that it doesn't take the patch even though it works on an older unit, one is just speculating as much as us who believe panasonic did unofficially update their firmwares. Old stock on shelf, who knows, guessing ones cam is on the same shelf as another, stabbing in the dark....so many variables.

ill just stick with lets all agree to disagree =)

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Try to read FAQ about updating problems, ok?
It is not necessary to write some speculations.

Emanuel
07-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Cameras with the new factory modified firmware (GH1 1.34) will not take the hacked firmware which is based on the 1.32 version (GH1). B&H and other US retailers are selling old stock which may be more than a month old and will happily take the hack. The current reports of unhackable cameras come mostly from purchases made in Japan and Asia where it is likely to be of the fresh production. It then would be only a matter of time the new stock reach other countries.UK too. UK stock is already infected LOL ;-) This is not speculation :-) it is the truth. As far as I know, most part is PAL region. Australia is another one of them. Even today I've received an email from someone who couldn't get to hack a second unit. Until further notice, it does seem US is selling old stock.

tackleqb
07-26-2010, 03:01 AM
This is a forum isn't it? to share information and experiences; to work out grievances...so why is it then we can't post on our personal speculation..everyone knows that it is just that...just curious. I think if we didn't post on speculation we wouldn't get anywhere. I mean unless it gets to the point of leading to hatred towards panasonic i don't see what's the problem.

Shinobi Productions
07-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Interesting development.

Diego... did you see that another member besides me just bought a GH1 from B&H? Before you panic and return your cam, maybe you should check the serial number.

Got mine from B&H two weeks ago. It hacked normally.

Skeptikal
07-26-2010, 03:40 AM
This is a forum isn't it? to share information and experiences; to work out grievances...so why is it then we can't post on our personal speculation..everyone knows that it is just that...just curious. I think if we didn't post on speculation we wouldn't get anywhere. I mean unless it gets to the point of leading to hatred towards panasonic i don't see what's the problem.

These are good points.

I am frustrated and annoyed by what Panasonic has done (and it seems that so are more and more others). But there's no mileage in "hating" Panasonic. They are just a giant corporate entity protecting what they see as their intellectual property/marketing strategy.

If only "we" as customers could convince them to learn from the genuine excitement that the hack has created and to also learn from Canon's approach to the excitement/customer requests that the 5D2 created. I used one for a year and really appreciated Canon releasing new firmware that made life easier...not more difficult.

Black_Ste
07-26-2010, 03:40 AM
I don't think Vitaly meant to hush up things. He is reading the forum to see what is happening and noise would rob his time. He is right in saying that directing this issue the FAQ thread will help him concentrate his attention there.

Having said that, I must say that while there are speculative elements in my post, something tells me I could mostly be right. But only time will tell.

For once I am happy to be proven wrong.

dcloud
07-26-2010, 03:53 AM
when panny releases a new lens, new firmwares would also be released for those.. so no worries my kiddies

Black_Ste
07-26-2010, 04:24 AM
when panny releases a new lens, new firmwares would also be released for those.. so no worries my kiddies

Lens specific optimizations certainly would need a firmware release. However do new lenses conforming to m4/3 standards need camera body firmware update when released? This is a question as I don't know the answer.

pjsssss
07-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I have one other question to throw into the mix. I just ordered a GH1 and I will wait and see what the factory firmware is. I have been able to locate the 1.2 file on the web and have downloaded it. So my question is if anyone has recently bought a camera where the factory firmware was 1.2 and then downloaded the latest 1.3 update from the Panasonic website. If so were you still able to use the hack? June 2 seems to be date thrown around the most, so I think it should be limited to anyone doing this update to 1.3 after that date.

I am speculating that if my camera is still hackable from the factory, that I be better off to stay away from the 1.3 update on the Panny website and use the legacy 1.2.

I would love to hear some info one way or the other on this. TIA

DaLiV
07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
if firmware loaded into ptool - that is hackable 1.32 ... on main update site (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh1.html) still that firmware /md5sum of zip is b2443010dad20af5e123ef145eebb3f8 / is published, and updating to that not lock update possibility.

there was also some strange 1.33 update (look here (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=214082)) - about that can't say anything /Vitaly currently not used that firmware as that is in restricted area./, possible future locking there persist (if update procedure is not simple user faults/misunderstanding of procedures )

Skeptikal
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Since encountering the problem on my newly purchased cameras, I've wondered if the "lock" is a permanent feature because the GH1 and the GF1 is at the end of its production life. Or is it some form of encryption that would allow Panasonic to issue future official firmware updates?

Hopefully the new "locked" cameras would still be able to benefit from any future official improvements otherwise it all seems like a very drastic overreation by Panasonic.

This is a valid question from "concerned customers" that could be directed to Panasonic ....which might force them to shed more light on what exactly is going on.

sparedog
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
maybe someone should send their unhackable camera to vitaliy for a evaluation. that might solve the situation, and i'm sure you'll get it back :)

sirk
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
From the sticky Official conference proposal thread

I hope everyone reads and understands what Vitaliy just wrote.

Put simply, the new FW release 1.34 was on GH1's BEFORE Vitaliy even had a working Hack, so Panasonic did not react to it with a block in mind, they probably were not even aware. So let's not react to Panasonic in a negative way and keep the avenue of communication open to response please.

R

Skeptikal
07-26-2010, 07:54 PM
So does this mean that "locked" cameras will still take any future official firmware release from Panasonic?

Black_Ste
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, if Panasonic do release an official firmware update, 1.34 version cameras will take it. The big question is if Panasonic will release one.

Ozpeter
07-26-2010, 11:19 PM
it all seems like a very drastic overreation by Panasonic.If I dissented from that view my post would be deleted, so there's not much point in doing so. Apparently this is now a forum for people who agree with each other to feel cosy together. Well, I wish you all well.

tired
07-27-2010, 01:42 AM
can we actually blame Panasonic for blocking the hack? - with the number of inane questions/requests & problems on this board, their service departments must be inundated with calls & complaints about problems with the hack.

The GH1 & GF1 were and still are good cameras - Vitaly made it possible to improve them but at some risk. Panasonic certainly doesn't condone the application of the hack and would have every right to void warranty. I have 2 GH1's & 1 GF1 (all hacked) because I am willing to take the risk (and I can read the bloody instructions properly)

Now suddenly these cameras are crap out of the box and everyone's running screaming because they can't modify them.

if you purchased a GH1 to shoot video, you make a good choice - it's not perfect but no camera is...

if you purchased a GH1 to hack - you took a risk and sometimes risks don't pay off.

I think Vitaly has achieved a huge amount and Panasonic must be considering what's happening with great concern (I'm sure other manufacturers are watching closely too.

The order of the day is calm communication, as consumers we need to let Panasonic know that we want a camera that can be as good as it can, not 'dumbed down' for commercial advantage.

At the same time we need to understand that they are in business to make money and making a 'giant killer' is not in their best interests.

I think an open, collaborative discussion between Vitaly and Panasonic would be an historic event.

MR Fanny
07-27-2010, 02:19 AM
they will just pay him a handsome sum to stop hacking their products =)

Skeptikal
07-27-2010, 03:52 AM
If I dissented from that view my post would be deleted, so there's not much point in doing so. Apparently this is now a forum for people who agree with each other to feel cosy together. Well, I wish you all well.

Why should anyone's post be deleted for simply having a dissenting view.

Only a week ago my speculation that some new GH1's may have some sort of "lock" preventing hack application were met with general disbelief...and some of my posts were deleted.

I have no idea whether or not Panasonic was reacting to the hack...maybe not if the dates mean anything. It just seems like an odd coincidence. What happens henceforth is the main issue.

Chris Light
07-27-2010, 03:57 AM
the GH1 has been available for over a year now. you snooze you lose.

Skeptikal
07-27-2010, 04:07 AM
if you purchased a GH1 to hack - you took a risk and sometimes risks don't pay off.

You can't blame people for wanting to share in the excitement.

It's only a "risk" if you are forewarned that there might be a downside. I guess not too many people will get caught out by this if they are keeping their reading up to date. At least now they are able to make an informed decision about their purchase.

As the old Romans said...caveat emptor

Emanuel
07-27-2010, 06:59 AM
The order of the day is calm communication, as consumers we need to let Panasonic know that we want a camera that can be as good as it can, not 'dumbed down' for commercial advantage.

At the same time we need to understand that they are in business to make money and making a 'giant killer' is not in their best interests.

I think an open, collaborative discussion between Vitaly and Panasonic would be an historic event.I know you are young people and there is a fair amount of naivety over these boards. This will never happen.

Emanuel
07-27-2010, 07:01 AM
maybe someone should send their unhackable camera to vitaliy for a evaluation. that might solve the situation, and i'm sure you'll get it back :)Here is a good idea.

svecher
07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Why should anyone's post be deleted for simply having a dissenting view.

If such post follows general forum guidelines it should not be deleted -- this is not the Development forum.

Isaac_Brody
07-27-2010, 08:50 AM
The only problem I see is that when enough speculation is posted it has the tendency to be reposted as truth. That's the main danger. How much of this is new user error? We are careful here about letting rumors and speculation turn into wildfire. And if you want to express strong opinions or bash Panasonic and speculate that the new cameras have been locked that's better done on a blog.

And another thing, a thread full of speculation kind of lessens the effectiveness of reaching out to Panasonic for an online conference. From an outside perspective it just might seem petty that a lot of people are complaining and making possibly false assumptions.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
If such post follows general forum guidelines it should not be deleted -- this is not the Development forum.

Only posts deleted were:
1) In the Conference thread where I specially noted in first message that only support messages must be posted. Feel free to express your other thoughts in any other threads. I just already used to such threads turning to pointless flame wars, this won't happen here.
2) Few clearly wrong messages either with unbased accusations or very strange theories.

I do not have any intent to delete any messages outside two-three sticky threads, Isaac is just better moderator and he is in charge here.

svecher
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your responses, gentlemen. It is a delicate balancing act to protect freedom of expression (a priority in my book), while also being aware that "fire" can and will be yelled in a crowded theater.

Isaac_Brody
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Only a week ago my speculation that some new GH1's may have some sort of "lock" preventing hack application were met with general disbelief...and some of my posts were deleted.

Your posts weren't deleted because you were expressing an opinion, they were deleted because you were rude and it came across as a personal attack.

Thanks for your responses, gentlemen. It is a delicate balancing act to protect freedom of expression (a priority in my book), while also being aware that "fire" can and will be yelled in a crowded theater.

I am just getting to this thread and getting caught up on what was deleted and why. It's definitely a balancing act and on this site we are pretty tolerant of facts and don't really have a lot of patience for hearsay and rumors. There are much better sites out there for posting rumors, but since we get a lot of traffic we don't want to peddle or pass off any rumors as truth.

Also, how a huge corporation chooses to respond is out of our hands. When you make assumptions about why and how they function it tends to get a little political. Again, that's an area we are careful about treading on. It would be nice to get some type of official word though I'm not expecting one. Just a reminder this is after all a HACK.

Skeptikal
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Your posts weren't deleted because you were expressing an opinion, they were deleted because you were rude and it came across as a personal attack.

It was certainly not intended as such.

At least I'm not the only one here afflicted by "black humor"...

pjsssss
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
There are so many questions of what is working and what is not, I thought I would do this as a new thread since it was what I was searching for a few days ago. If the mods feel the need to merge it please do so.

I took a chance and ordered a new GH1 from B&H on Monday July 26. I took delivery of it this afternoon and after charging the battery in hope of being able to hack the firmware, I immediately checked the version number in the camera. It is 1.2

I also talked to someone in the same situation and they downloaded and used the 1.3 version on the Panasonic website for PTool and was able to hack it with no problem. So it would seem that the answer of whether they did something to the update on the website is no they did not.

So at least 2 of us have had no problems with new GH1s here from B&H.

Magic_Sam
07-28-2010, 02:03 PM
I will be getting my camera from B&H tomorrow. I can say this is a breath of fresh air for me, so I think there is a much better chance now that my camera can be hacked.

Thanks.

pjsssss
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Let me update and say that I also used the 1.3 download from the Panasonic website and it worked fine. HACKED!

svecher
07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Guys, please update the GH1 serials thread with serial number prefixes (first 5 characters). Thanks.

Vitaliy Kiselev
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Panasonic made much more than simple blocking.
They successfully blocked most real development help.
As I no longer see any useful systematic tests made using new available patches.
All I see is collecting of serial numbers and pointless discussion.

svecher
07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Panasonic made much more than simple blocking.
They successfully blocked all real development help.
As I no longer see any useful systematic tests made using new available patches.
All I see is collecting of serial numbers and pointless discussion.

That's too bad. There is a lot of "discussion" (well that's to be expected), but also some testing efforts are ongoing as well. Perhaps not up to a high standard, but then again not everyone has appropriate experience and environment to conduct the level of testing required. But people are trying and willing to learn. This project is "your baby" and you are the Director :). So go ahead and direct and nurture the testing effort to the level where it is helpful to you. Provide feedback where necessary. It will grow, slowly but surely. Unless of course all you see really is "pointless" discussion, which would be quite sad.

Oh, yeah, don't forget its summer time. Even the tough men of Chelyabinsk, who can hack things with a crowbar, need to have a break once in a while and get outside. Glad you are feeling better ;)

pjsssss
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I posted in the serial number thread the same time I created this post. My opinion on the thread I created is that I think it is very useful for people trying to decide whether to buy or not if they are basing their decision on the ability to hack the camera. The serial number thread may or may not help.

I know I had a lot of doubts before I commited. I spent 3 days pouring over every thread in this forum and others about the hack situation. I was totally unaware of it before a week ago. The one problem that I see is that some that have been involved from the start (and I whole heartily applaud your generosity, efforts and intelligence!) assume that the people coming late to the party know what you are talking about. Because I try to support this kind of work, I donated to the cause before I even knew if I could hack a camera or not.

Anyway, my sincere thanks and I hope future progress is not coming to an end.

ATL Media Group
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
How you liking that hacked GH1 Pat?

MR Fanny
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
So it would seem that the answer of whether they did something to the update on the website is no they did not.

So at least 2 of us have had no problems with new GH1s here from B&H.

Those GH1's must be old stock if they still have v1.2 firmware so count yourselves lucky =) Firmware in question is the pre-installed v1.34 in the newest cameras and not the one for download as that would have been evaluated already. It is getting our hands on this notorious v1.34 or whatever it is that is the key.

Glad you guys could patch yours though.

pjsssss
07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
How you liking that hacked GH1 Pat?
Unfortunately I only get to look at it tonight. I actually bought it for my daughter who is a film student in college. Now I am thinking that I should have bought one for myself. :undecided

diego1235467
07-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I ordered it from B&H before you (OP) and it arrives tomorrow. Let's see if you're right, but at this point, it appears as if I'll have a hacked GH1 by tomorrow night! :D

Azmyth
07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
i'm confused.. are there some GH1's that can't be hacked?

ATL Media Group
07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
UnfortunatelyI only get to look at it tonight. I actually bought it for my daughter who is a film student in college. Now I am thinking that I should have bought one for myself. :undecided

Yes, you should have! I mentioned this hack a while back in the GV forum lounge (http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17153).
Play with it a bit, and soon you'll be buying one for yourself, some adapters and lenses... Oh, you'll be hooked.
:cheesy:

ATL Media Group
07-28-2010, 04:50 PM
i'm confused.. are there some GH1's that can't be hacked?

Yes... some of the newest models have a newer firmware that is unavailable and can't be hacked.

pjsssss
07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, you should have! I mentioned this hack a while back in the GV forum lounge (http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17153).
Play with it a bit, and soon you'll be buying one for yourself, some adapters and lenses... Oh, you'll be hooked.
:cheesy:
Yes, I think that is what got me to start looking at it. Then my daughter called last week looking for an early Christmas present T2i. I investigated more and the rest is history. No money for me now, so I may have to wait for the GH2 and hope that isn't crazy. I have loved what I have seen so far. Making me rethink the shooting.

Azmyth
07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Oh dear, and I was contemplating getting one.. but it will be a few weeks before I can.. and the hack was pretty much the deciding factor.

matt s.
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes... some of the newest models have a newer firmware that is unavailable and can't be hacked.
Why cant you revert back to the old firmware even if the new one is installed?

ATL Media Group
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Why cant you revert back to the old firmware even if the new one is installed?

Because the new one checks with a version compare. If Vitality had a copy of the new firmware it would be possible for him to fix it. I don't think the new firmware will be available online tho. Heck.. by the time you read this it may be a non-issue as fast as the guy works!

swyzlstyx
07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I'll trade a used hackable GH1 for two New In Box GH1's (or $2400). :D I'll even hack it to 44Mbps/24p before I ship it. lol

rambooc1
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
You cannot accidentally load a previously hacked FW version, even if it's named identical ie GH1__1.32.bin

If you try too, PTools tells you that the version is already patched and won't load it.

R

roykwan
07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Sorry can someone resolve the issue yet?