PDA

View Full Version : Special Effect Make-Up

Woodson
08-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Anyone know any good links that show you and tell you how to do ...

Cutting a stomach up.

What I'm looking for is A Man who will be cutting open a man who will be lying on the floor, But yes I want to show a weapon.. knife or machete(sp) opening the stomach up, having the guts spill out.

J_Barnes
08-04-2004, 12:36 PM
A lot of times you can get guys just starting out to do this stuff at cost, as it can really showcase the work of unknown makeup artists.

But, sorry I dont know of any websites that cover the kind of stuff you'd want to use. I've only had people do it for me, never done it myself.

Mike_Donis
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm basically in the exact same position as J_Barnes (should I call you Barney? :P)

I've found that getting gore effects from unknown make-up artists is easy for cost...if you give them what they need they'll do it. A portfolio is worth much more to them now than the money.

They're quite similar to a lot of us, actually :P

J_Barnes
08-04-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm basically in the exact same position as J_Barnes (should I call you Barney? *:P)

I get Barnsie a lot, but never gotten Barney!

Mike_Donis
08-04-2004, 06:59 PM
;D

THiNSPiRiT
08-08-2004, 10:29 PM
try making a fake stomach using balloons or something that looks and reacts like skin. and have a part of the floor or a table with a hole in the bottom... (you can trick him being on the floor if you maintain closeups)

put your actor through the whole of the table with his back arched... then dress him and the "balloon" to make it look like his body continues down... place animal guts (pig intestine and such) in the balloon.... either film from the waste up or if you want to have moving feet in it... place someone else in the reverse position with their head and upper body in the hole and their legs sticking up and out... the real difficult part is only making sure that the body is proportioned and making it look like the top of the body connects to the stomache properly and the legs connect to the bottom of the stomach. Anyway, this is just my idea on how to do it. Pretty low tech but might work depending on how it's filmed and the execution of it.

J_Barnes
08-09-2004, 11:00 AM
The main problem with your suggestion, as I imagine it, is that a balloon will put it's contents under pressure so that when the surface is pierced, it will pop and spill.

The abdomen is a bit harder to puncture then a balloon would be, and the contents are not under enough pressure to spill out the way the would from a balloon. It might look okay under enough cloth, but I would expect that you'd need to go with non-elastic plastic over a balloon.

Still, this method wouldn't be realistic either way to have a good closeup of the cut. It might just be better to capture from another angle and have someone or something spilling the guts, facilitating a setup where the gore is already open and ready to dump rather then faking some kind of skin/musculature to be ruptured.

ie - shoot around the problem if you can't get someone to do the effect for you.

Rich Lee
08-09-2004, 10:08 PM
check out these books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0240800990/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-5665738-2710324#reader-link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312146787/qid=1092113044/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-5665738-2710324?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

the one with the american werewolf in london on the cover i believe is like a "how to" book, i cant remember because its been years since some ahole borrowed it and never gave it back.

men makeup and monsters is more a bio on different sfx makeup guys, but it does go into some detail on how they did some of the effects.

What kind of shot are we talkin about here? close up? medium? cowboy? do we see the actors face in the shot? or is it just the knife going into skin?

what you ask isnt easy if you havnt done this before. i would say try to hook up with some sfx makeup guys in your area. they should be pretty eager to do some work for free as long as you get the supplies. check out some tom savini movies (he is the king of gore), ones that comes to mind from what your looking for are day of the dead and dawn of the dead. they both have humans being torn apart by the belly, alot of it was done with a similer method as to what THiNSPiRiT was describing. but rather then using balloons they had made molds of the peoples torsos out of latex, and had layers of geleton to make it thick, and nasty pig guts or whatever looks gross for filling.

anyway, there is a ton of info on the net for this stuff if you look around.

http://www.fxwarehouseinc.com/

http://www.joeblasco.com/blascoschools/index.htm i took a sfx makeup course with these guys, i would say call them or places like it to find out about graduates that might want to do some work.

anyway, hope that helps...

Woodson
08-11-2004, 11:37 PM
wow, Rich Lee thanks for that info.
appriciated.

What I'm thinking of doing is having the actor wear about 3 t-shirts, have pig guts in between. I will have the other actor ripping the shirt open with knife, while the pig guts spill out. Close up shots will work the best, I'll be going from showing just the lower stomach area being cut open. I dunno, maybe it will work maybe not.

J_Barnes
08-12-2004, 04:58 AM
I don't remember the film now, but I saw a gore scene where the entire thing was backlit in a long shot...you just got the silhouette of the gory parts and it was really effective on screen. Much more shocking then seeing red blood.

Just another option.

Mike_Donis
08-12-2004, 04:14 PM
That sounds like the ending of Apocalypse Now...

J_Barnes
08-13-2004, 05:40 AM
Hmm...I don't think that was it...but I do like that movie

ozone1979
09-06-2004, 10:04 AM
ok...
find a friend who wants in on your project and loves b'flick gore/horror...and prolly halloween

and direct him to this site:

http://www.fxwarehouseinc.com/

there's tutorials and stuff there too.

My wigman, told me of a site that he found some really good lookin body parts for really cheap. Man, dummies can be expensive usually.

Hope this helps.