PDA

View Full Version : Special FX Sites

08-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm looking for sites that show how to make different special effects for film. The more effects available the better, but in particular, I am looking for a good way to make rain.

Thanks again,
Larry

Arcburn
08-23-2004, 09:21 AM
it depends on what you are planning to do. Is you shot indoors looking out into the rain? Is it oustide? Are actors in the rain? A cg clip of rain falling is very easy to do and you can composite it over your shot. But It won't look like it's really raining unless you have some things already set up in your shot. i.e. the area has been hosed down, etc.

Larry Rutledge
08-23-2004, 09:45 AM
For the upcoming shot I will have an actress looking out a window at the rain. My initial thought was to mount a lawn sprinkler on the roof and let the water fall down in front of the window. I assume I will need to light the water for it to show up on camera?

I haven't had a chance to try that yet, so in the meantime I figured I'd ask here in case I was missing something obvious. Also, I was hoping that there might be some good reference sites for future reference.

Thanks,
Larry

J_Barnes
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Another idea, if the window is closed, you can just set up a rig where the rainwater is hitting/trickleing down the window and your shot only shows a small part of the window for effect.

this wouldn't work if your shot showed a sunny exterior outside the window, but I've seen it done a number of times with good effect (most notably "in cold blood").

taubkin
08-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Don't use a sprinkler. Rain falls vertically, a sprinker just sprinkles in every direction. Put a hose on a PVC pipe and make holes along it's lenght. Close the other end and rig it over the window. Water hitting on the window glass is beautiful, experiment with that also!

The most common answer to those sorts of crysis is testing. Just like top dollar productions DP's do. Test, test, test.

Neil Rowe
08-23-2004, 10:02 AM
a hose with a variable spray pattern gardening nozzle on the end work really well. you can put it on the shower head like setting. and spray it up into the air and aim it so it comes down in the area you want it too. *looks beautiful, and is way faster to set up since someone just holds it, and moves it wherever.. you can also quickly soak the scene with it . and when the crew gets out of line,, just switch it to the high power nozzel setting, and tell the camera operator to step back. *:)

it not enough to cover a larger area, but works very well for windows, or car windshileds, and such. you could always get multiple hoses though

Mike_Donis
08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
All points said have been great; but I wouldn't ever resort to CG. CG never looks good - most of the time when Hollywood does it, with their millions of dollars, it STILL doesn't look good...

Nothing beats something you've actually photographed, ever.

Arcburn
08-23-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree CG rain isnt a great idea, but it looked pretty good in Matrix Revolutions.
:D

Mike_Donis
08-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Well, if you have the resources that they had in The Matrix Revolutions, why are you shooting with a DVX, and not asking ILM or whoever did the effects what to do? ::)

Arcburn
08-23-2004, 04:08 PM
they didnt shoot the matrix revolutions on the DVX? :-/

I was only making a suggestion. I wasn't trying to steer Larry down the wrong route.

The post was Special FX. That led me to believe he was looking for a non practical solution. Maybe I am wrong.

Mike_Donis
08-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Right on!

Actually though, special effects *are* practical effects. Visual effects are what's done in post...

Arcburn
08-23-2004, 04:48 PM
aaah cool.

also btw you are totally right that hollywood can spend millions and do really bad CG.

check this out.

http://www.digitaldimension.com/filmography/making/ballistic.html

ozone1979
09-06-2004, 10:01 AM
shucks, y not just use wet actors and environment...with some stock footage of rain and blend it with after effects or something.

Mike_Donis
09-06-2004, 02:24 PM
That definitely could work - only you wouldn't see the actual rain droplets hitting off of the actors and the surroundings...

Jim Brennan
10-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Y'know the rain in those clips doesn't look too bad...but it would seel the effect better if the ACTOR WAS GETTING WET! sheesh...