PDA

View Full Version : Carpentry set building question

dmitriandsnow
09-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,
From earlier post in the lighting section comes this question. Well i am lighting a white room but the room does not exist just yet i need to build it. I am looking for a cheap (dry wall cheap or cheaper) solution to basically build four walls with two doors (front and back) and one window. Right now i am planning on using drywall sheets but have yet to figure out the window and the doors inside the dry wall sheets, tough deal. Anyone ever faced this issue ? All input is welcome.
Thanks!

THiNSPiRiT
09-21-2004, 10:36 PM
I believe you can just cut out the holes in the drywall and install regular windows and doors... you just need to put in a wooden frame for them. You don't need to support it as much as it's a fake set and does not require as much structural support as a real room or house... as long as it can't fall on anyone I think that should hold up... just don't slam the doors...

natob2
09-22-2004, 02:46 PM
I have a materials recommendation...

I had to build some walls for a set and my carpentor used cheap 2x4 framing and covered it with this foamcore sort of material. It was about one inch thick and pink, I think its used for insulation. It can be found at most all major hardware stores.

This stuff is cheap, lightweight, durable and very easy to cut. I recommend it over drywall.

dmitriandsnow
09-22-2004, 07:37 PM
I know what you are talking about, thanks for replies guys.
The thing with the pink mess is that i will not have frame so the walls need to be able to stand their own. I am planning on backing it up with some 2by2s and the drywall is already whitish color. Now the cutting part might give me some trouble. I need to buy a sheet to test out. You guys lay floors heh..? Anyone know of a cheap tile-like solution for the floors? I am looking into some of that kitchen deck material that is the only cheap and white floor i can find around here.

Scottdvx100
09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
You might check with locate theater groups. It's possible they have some walls you can rent or at least get set building people.

You're probably going to have to do some frame building, especially since you have windows and doors. As mentioned you can use simpler material or even white foam core if you have a basic frame.
Consider a sheet of linoleum for a kitchen floor so you can just roll it out
or use a sheet of masonite and paint it.

THiNSPiRiT
09-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Yeah the sheets are easiest to setup and on film can look like regular tile... also easy for setting up anywhere...

J_Barnes
09-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Building sets isn't easier then building real walls. You use less wood to make them lighter, but it doesn't wind up being easier or more time consuming. If you're making flats, you shouldn't be using drywall. You should use 1/4" ply in 4x8 sheets and make your 2x4 frame for a 4x8 sheet. Drywall is very heavy and very dentable, not suited for set construction. Using 1/4" sheets allows you to move a wall in and out relatively quickly for shooting purposes. Drywall doesn't have anything close to that level of use.

Any doors or windows need to be framed just as they are in a house. You can't cut corners with functional pieces.

Once your walls are up with supports, you need to mud and tape the seams and then paint.

It's a long process, not suited for a begining filmmaker or enthusiast. I'd suspect that you'd be better off finding an existing room and altering it to fit your needs.

dmitriandsnow
09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
J, thank you, i will consider your suggestions. Do not have money for any kind of wood + paint (the room is white) at this moment. Will post photos when done.
Thanks

THiNSPiRiT
09-26-2004, 10:17 PM
My only experience with actually building a set piece required drywall... someone had to actually get smashed through it. You can't do that with ply-wood. The door seemed to function with the drywall just find and it looked and held up pretty fine until we smashed through it. I suppose you'd want something more durable if you're using it for a good portion of time.

dmitriandsnow
09-27-2004, 07:28 PM
This is awful, aside from taking up time to practice choreography this thing will cost me good deal. At last i am going to frame this son of a bitch heh, couple 2by4s, supports, screws, drills yuck.
Drywall is still in plan i will use it as the "wall paper" for my framed walls. I will keep updating... Thanks for all replies.

edmessina
11-06-2004, 02:18 PM
We have done well with 1x3" frame, 2 horizontals, like a ladder, and cover with Luanne wood. These flats are cheap, light and can be joined side by side with simple clamps. If you need a window, sometimes a square hole covered by a curtain or blinds is the answer, back lit, maybe staple some diffusion gel behind the flat. These are fast and easy and can be painted or even covered with premade 4x8' papered surfaces, available at Home Depot or such stores.