PDA

View Full Version : Shooting permits

mediamogul
11-01-2004, 09:17 AM
If im shooting at my own home and the neighbors are fine with it do i really need a permit? i have no big trucks, equipment etc..

I'm in California if anyone has any experience with this.

Jim Brennan
11-01-2004, 09:35 AM
jeez, I've never gotten a permit shooting at my house...but I'm in COlorado, not the Litigous State Of California.

mediamogul
11-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Tell me about it >:( Any other state and I'm sure it isnt a problem, well maybe NY. Here everyone has their hand out.

natob2
11-01-2004, 12:48 PM
If you have lots of people, exterior lighting, trucks, etc absolutely get a permit.

If you are shooting with the little DVX and a light kit in your house there is nothing to worry about.

HansK
11-01-2004, 04:05 PM
If you have lots of people, exterior lighting, trucks, etc absolutely get a permit.

If he's on his own property then why would he need a permit. Insurance would be important, but permits?

Barry_Green
11-01-2004, 04:31 PM
If there are a lot of people, big trucks, things like that then maybe a permit might be in order (depending on the municipality). If EVERYTHING fits on his property (all the trucks are driven onto the property, etc) then maybe not. But if it's like Vegas, we have ZERO yards, so there'd be a lot of people and trucks in the public street; that might require a permit.

BLUESPIDER
11-03-2004, 10:34 PM
It kind of all depends on who you know. I was able to block off a street, had 2 cop cars, 1 fire truck, 1 paramedic truck and a tow truck carrying a smashed car as one of our props. We also had two 2ks and a bunch of extras and no permits. All this because I knew a cop. He bascially talk to some people he knew and the rest is history. The only thing I was worried about was liability insurance. Plus what I filmed was for a good cause. It was a drinking & driving PSA. I just got lucky that day.

natob2
11-04-2004, 01:04 PM
If he's on his own property then why would he need a permit. *Insurance would be important, but permits?

Several reasons:
1) If you have large trucks you might have to have them on the street. This will get the police's attention quickly.
2) If you have lots of crew, they may be parking on the streets. Same sort of thing as #1.
3) If you are shooting exteriors at night and you are lighting these exteriors, then you will probably anger the neighbors and have the police come knocking.
4) A lot of people walking around a location with lots of strange looking equipment raises suspicions. You may have passer-byers call the police.

You can resolve all of this by talking to the city you live in and talking to the police. It is also good to get the city to sign a form that says you have permission to shoot where and when. When the police arrive, just whip out that signature and enjoy the moment.

enterdcable
11-16-2004, 11:03 AM
I've shot in many towns some big some small. Some with permits and some without.

About 80 percent of the time, they are curious and like to chat (unless it's obstructing traffic or pose a danger) and they go about their business. The other 2 times out of ten, they take your video tape. This happens if you're by a bank. A rich guy's house. Any place with money.

Once, I actually had my ac grab my camera and run to a coffeeshop 1/4mile away.