PDA

View Full Version : composing software?

c.g._eads
12-04-2004, 07:55 PM
This might be a silly question (no chris! There is no such thing as a silly question!!) but do they make music composing software? Anybody have any experience with a particular brand?

I'm not looking for anything extravagant. But while I wondered about having a feint violin kick in during a dramatic moment, I thought "wait a minute, maybe there's something already out there for that." I mean that dude who directed Primer composed his own music. So it must not be that hard (composers start the flaming... NOW.) Right?

c.g.

bodaphoto
12-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Sony has a program called Acid

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=928&keycode=6395

Also try The Music Bakery they have some good stuff.
http://www.musicbakery.com

Jim Brennan
12-04-2004, 10:06 PM
My impression of acid is that it's for loops, not composing (but I could be misinformed)

I compose on Finale Allegro.

I have been writing music in one capacity or another for 25 years. *I have found few things more difficult than scoring a film. *Perhaps it seems simple, but when I started to try and score a short I did last year, I found it next to impossible. *I am not trying to dissuade you from attempting it. *It is easy to pop in some music here and there, based on what you have heard in other films, especially with a program like soundtracks or acid. And there certainly is no crime in going that route, especially if you are looking for the experience. *But to write three or four themes that recur in a film in different incarnations, tying the whole thing together, and complementing what is on the screen is an art that is difficult to master. Frankly, most people (even some filmmakers) have little real appreciation for how important music is to a film.

BLUESPIDER
12-05-2004, 01:07 AM
C.G,

Acid is a nice program for music creations but its entirely loop based. Like said above, you're not really composing. But I guess it does the job for many people. A nice afforable program for composing would be calkwalk. It's been awhile since I've used this program but I'm sure theres like a home addition. The question I want to ask you is, can you compose? Do you have any musical abilities? If not then you can get sample cds that contains already royal free music can you can use. Or you can use acid if you want the ability to tweak it out. You can do a search on the web for this stuff. Theres so much out there.

I myself use a program called Cubase SX which I used alot for music composing. I love that program and it does pretty much whatever I need it to do. I don't believe in sampling or using loops to do my music. I like to do everything from scratch.

joshreluctant
12-05-2004, 06:30 AM
C.G,

I myself use a program called Cubase SX which I used alot for music composing. I love that program and it does pretty much whatever I need it to do. I don't believe in sampling or using loops to do my music. I like to do everything from scratch.

I just got Cubase solely for that purpose my friend. Excellent program for it, it'd just be better for the guy if he had a midi keyboard. I myself need to pick up a midi cable, then i can officialy start, also, i can start when we get a goddamn film going. haha. But that jason fanfilm project is coming up.... i doubt i could pull off a good jason rip though. plus that'd be weird, the dude who plays jason is the one editing and scoring the movie lol. but either way. other programs i've used are fruityloops (entirely loops based, but with a TON of customizable options so you can actually do a decent time change in a song), all you really need are some good samples brother. good luck.

Josh

Jim Brennan
12-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I also use cubase, but I use their low-rent version :cubasis. You can compose on that, plus you hace the added option of recording audio directly to your harddrive in a multitrack method. Allegro can not do that. If you want a package that can record, compose and has effects and plug ins, either the Cakewalk or Cubase families of products will do you fine. If you are strictly looking to compose (especially in an orchestral fashion) I recommend allegro , or finale.