PDA

View Full Version : "Geezer Karting" - GH13 taken to a karting track

neekoh
07-09-2010, 04:11 AM
http://vimeo.com/13199768

Have a look! I knew pretty much what kind of shots I wanted to get, but there are some technical stuff I should have done better. Also my workflow will have to be improved next time. But see the flick and go easy on me, I'm trying to learn from you guys! :)

chrisso
07-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Really good!

alignment1
07-09-2010, 05:49 AM
awesome man- looks like fun- good tension build in the edit around 'caution'(yellow flag) w/ wreck and finally red flag..then they go green !!! great w/ music!

nice job

UncleBenji1977
07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
This was a fun watch. Great work!

androoow
07-09-2010, 10:35 AM
00.10 -00.25 is an example and 02.41 whats going on with the image wobbling?? i assume its not jello as the shots not being whipped about .. and its kind of noticable in most shots?? is the OIS going crazy or something ??? cheers

matt s.
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I am curious about that "wobble" also. Im not one to pixel peep but I did find that wobble a little strange. Video looks good especially the sections when they are tuning up the karts.

alignment1
07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I am curious about that "wobble" also. Im not one to pixel peep but I did find that wobble a little strange. Video looks good especially the sections when they are tuning up the karts.

looks like 'smoothcam' in post

neekoh
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your comments!
Yeah, the shaky bits in general annoy me the most in retrospect. The wobble is, as guessed, shake reduction in post. It's a new Vegas 10 feature and frankly I'm quite disappointed. It's easy for the workflow and I still took the wobble over the vigorous shaking, and I didn't want to use freeze frames / stills. The shake in those shots was too much for the OIS, it's not the camera to blame but insufficient support. I was using the monopod alone, sometimes even with the ball head unlocked. I might go back one day and try virtualdub + deshaker to replace the wobbly shots. I've seen it do a very convincing job, but I just couldn't cope with the extra steps this time.

Chris Light
07-10-2010, 02:30 AM
neekoh, i enjoyed it from start to finish(no pun intended)!...fantastic edit, really kept my interest. the shaky stuff actually worked well with the shutterspeed(seemed high at times?), crafty edit, and the energy of this event...i quite liked it! "carting" as your subject matter is unique as well...there's only so many skateboard videos i can watch :-)

neekoh
07-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your words, Chris! Yeah, shutter speeds were probably quite high, I was using aperture priority, not realizing the variable aperture opportunity with the kit zoom. One shot (that got picked) was deliberately using a slow shutter.

Emanuel
07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
great w/ music!

nice jobMusic choice can always be subjective. Editing is not, though. The pictures either. Both can make shine out the sound track free of individual bias. And did it.