PDA

View Full Version : A Mockumentary

mobiledeli
12-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Last week, some friends and I went on a trip to this hotel where we did all kinds of fun things, and we want to remake it with a documentary-style. By this I mean we want it to look like there were cameras with us on the trip. So me, being the writer and director, am asking you what i have to know to make this work. Thanks

sojrn
12-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Script in detail what you did on your trip. Do you think will it be interesting to others than yourselves? Pick two of you to handle the video cameras and then re-enact the whole thing, with you calling the shots.

mobiledeli
12-12-2004, 01:14 PM
alright, sounds cool. any other ideas? and yeah, it will be hilarious ot others..

sojrn
12-12-2004, 02:26 PM
What made the trip fun?

mobiledeli
12-12-2004, 03:52 PM
well it was a jewish trip where the 10th graders from my temple went on. we went to this hotel and did some polital stuff... that sucked... but the things that happened in the room, and the bus, and in our "free time" are things that ill never forget.

dudeguy37
12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Nice - 10th grade hebrew school trip...I was just on one of those to New York in October. Deffinetley fun ;)
Do it...get your camera, get your friends, and film this thing. Whatever it is, it is, and I wouldn't worry about making everybody laugh. As long as you and your friends enjoy making it I'd say it's a good experience. I just started production on a mockumentary with a few friends this past weekend...it's good stuff. Have fun

-Harry

mobiledeli
12-14-2004, 04:35 AM
thanks! i just got my dvx today, so im still trying to figure out the settings and stuff, so hopefully well start soon!

stationhouse
12-14-2004, 07:00 AM
the mistake some people make is staying too close to what actually happened. even something like this should have some sort of three act structure - setting up your main characters, setting up the conflict (boring political stuff), have a climax, etc.

Trying to recreate something exactly as it happened may feel planned and stilted.

good luck
tom

greggy
12-17-2004, 07:02 PM
just a note, keep an eye on audio levels...i recently dhot somehting as like, and then found not usuable- we couldn't hear it. also shoot w/o the intention of actually recreating the same events- it will appear wooden, stay impulsive.

mobiledeli
12-17-2004, 08:00 PM
cool. do you suggest a boom mic or something