PDA

View Full Version : Video Playback/ Monitor on a shoot

mediamogul
10-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Im getting ready for a shoot and I wanted to have video playback. Can I use a cheap tv/vcr combo to record and direct from? Any tips would be great thanks!

Barry_Green
10-31-2004, 09:48 PM
That would work. On the first feature we did the DP supplied a tiny 8mm deck hooked up to his monitor, we used that for record/review so as to not put wear on the DV tapes (this was in 1997, nobody knew how durable DV tape was yet!)

So yeah, if you just want to check back takes or whatever, that'd work. However it's going to be VHS quality, played on a cheap consumer TV, so don't expect to make any sort of critical picture-related judgements or on framing or whatever, of course.

mediamogul
10-31-2004, 10:05 PM
So yeah, if you just want to check back takes or whatever, that'd work. *However it's going to be VHS quality, played on a cheap consumer TV, so don't expect to make any sort of critical picture-related judgements or on framing or whatever, of course.

What would you recommend if this is what im looking for?

Mike_Donis
11-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Well, a CRT production monitor would be ideal, but those can cost a lot of money!

Depending on the TV, a consumer TV should be good enough for most focus adjustments (at least, it would be better than the LCD or viewfinder). For framing, it would be fine, if you take into consideration the overscan that the TV will produce. It definitely will be a bigger frame than the LCD, so it would be a plus there (for ease of visibility's sake) and with the VHS dub, you'd be able to judge acting.

If you want a full quality judgement - maybe get a laptop with DVRack or something to the like - it would give you a full resolution output to judge critical image adjustments.

sojrn
11-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Most households don't have tv's with the quality of production monitors, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. When I'm finishing programs at a post house, I always have them feed it to the consumer tv set in the room. *This is where you truly check your work.

stationhouse
12-13-2004, 03:45 PM
if you have to use a consumer set, use the same one all the time so you are consistent. on my first film i borrowed a monitor from work, then bought one for my second film. If you buy a regular tv, shoot color bars on it and then play it back on a real monitor/editing system. Get this to a point where they look proper - ie your black is black, your white is white, etc. There are many websites that talk about calibrating color bars - google it and you will get a ton.

Then shoot some footage. Many people don't account for glare and whatnot on the screena dn over or underexpose. for dark scenes i found that i was better off overlighting it a bit and then darkening it in post. I worked it out so i knew how much to adjust the ocntrast and brightness on my monitor to get this look. later
tom

Erik Olson
12-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Try and source a monitor with underscan capability. *I've had some TV-Safe issues with the DVX like filter trays sneaking into the edges of the frame.

Having a monitor with 16:9, underscan and blue only for tweaking to bars is dead sexy. *Try to score a Sony 8041Q or 1342Q if possible - Panasonic and JVC make units that have the same features.

http://www.yiicheau.com.tw/monitor-s/pvm-8042q/pvm8042q_z.jpg

Here's one from an eBay seller with 100% good feedback at a good used price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21517&item=3859724 783&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

mediamogul
12-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks I just used one on my shoot and it was invaluble! Cheers, D

Bermudaforce
12-17-2004, 10:41 PM
hey mediamogul, if you like taking the time to watch playback during each take or even an entire scene, just use any monitors that is accurate in color, brightness, contrast, etc..You don't need to spend a lot of money on good monitors. As long as it works good. I see lots of filmmakers who don't even use a monitor unless they really need one. It just take too long to set up and time is money. The 24p LCD screen is pretty accurate. That's my monitor.