PDA

View Full Version : GH13 vs. 7d

illdoittomorrow
07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any comparison shots or videos of the GH13 vs. the canon 7D.

Gonna buy my first camera and I'm stuck between both.
Also does the hack improve the photography side of the GH1 as well as the video? Thanks amigos :)

heicky
07-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Here are some tests

http://www.vimeo.com/13110813

http://www.vimeo.com/13110941

Adventsam
07-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any comparison shots or videos of the GH13 vs. the canon 7D.

Gonna buy my first camera and I'm stuck between both.
Also does the hack improve the photography side of the GH1 as well as the video? Thanks amigos :)

The photography side is down to you! I have seen images from an i-phone that put my images to shame. Thing to remember about Panasonic vs Canon is that ISO 100 on Pana is like ISO 200 on Canon and so on, eg if your shooting stills at ISO800 you'd probably be near ISO1600 on a Canon. On that basis the jpeg output from Canon at ISO1600 is possibly slightly better than the GH1 but that's it slightly better, same goes for any high ISO jpg o/p. Now if you shoot raw I think know you can get very good images from the GH1, very good but above ISO1000(2000 on Canon) you may be able to see the banding in GH1 images and hence may need a good NR package eg dfine. But low ISO's, honestly, probably nothing in it except preference.

Stephen Mick
07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I had a nice long response written… Hit a button and it's gone. So…

For mostly video with the occasional photo, get the GH1(3).

For client work that's equal parts video and photo, I'd go with the 7D.

I say this as someone who has shot client jobs with the original (unhacked) GH1, the 7D and now the GH1(3). The bottom line is that the video quality of the GH1(3) is hands-down better than the 7D. Anyone who says otherwise is either selling something or trying to justify money they've already spent.

Now, if you have to shoot client work that includes both stills and video, I prefer the 7D. Panasonic just can't compete in the pro photo space with the GH1. The sheer number/amount of lenses, accessories and pro support (see Canon Pro Services) for the working photographer can't be beat.

Tracey Lee
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
For video, GH1(3) is the winner...no contest. I have no regrets selling my 7D for the GH1.

Ian-T
07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
The bottom line is that the video quality of the GH1(3) is hands-down better than the 7D. Anyone who says otherwise is either selling something or trying to justify money they've already spent.
...well....I've spent money on both and though the 7D has its strengths I can with out a doubt verify that your claim is.....spot on. :)
(I never thought I'd say that)

xmephestox
07-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Depends on what's most important to you...

gh13 has a much better codec now with the hack, a lot of its weaknesses are gone, so for video work is a lot easier to get a usable image out of it.

but there are still a few factors that a 7d has the edge that is important for some people, it's not the end all be all but it's still something to consider.

more cinematic look (larger sensor size, aprox eqv to S35 look)
IS with eos lenses (more choices in that department than 4/3 counterparts)
high sensitivity (though off a 7d i wouldn't push it past 1600 iso, but i believe it still offers a better noise floor than a gh1, need to see more tests to kno for sure but a lot of ppl tend not to push the gh1 past 1000)

18 mp stills of awesomeness, probably one of the top 3 still cameras for the dollar. great features, 19 pts of autofocus, built in speedlite controller, 8 fps second shooting. It's really great for the price you are paying.

But I'll be honest, I've been very impressed with the gh13 as of late.

Adventsam
07-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Depends on what's most important to you...

gh13 has a much better codec now with the hack, a lot of its weaknesses are gone, so for video work is a lot easier to get a usable image out of it.

but there are still a few factors that a 7d has the edge that is important for some people, it's not the end all be all but it's still something to consider.

more cinematic look (larger sensor size, aprox eqv to S35 look)

1.6 crop vs 1.8 crop, how cinematic? hmm
active area of 7d is 21.5mm x 14.37mm with a pixel pitch of 4.16 microns.
active area of GH1 is 19mm x 13.00mm with a pixel pitch of 4.36 microns.
S35 is?
IS with eos lenses (more choices in that department than 4/3 counterparts)
long fast zoom teles yes, shorter fast zoom teles yes, primes/macro not sure.
high sensitivity (though off a 7d i wouldn't push it past 1600 iso, but i believe
As said iso800 on GH1 == iso1600 Canon 7d
it still offers a better noise floor than a gh1, need to see more tests to kno for sure but a lot of ppl tend not to push the gh1 past 1000)

18 mp stills of awesomeness, probably one of the top 3 still cameras for the dollar. great features, 19 pts of autofocus,
23pts of af on GH1 incl. video?
built in speedlite controller, 8 fps second shooting. It's really great for the price you are paying.

But I'll be honest, I've been very impressed with the gh13 as of late.

Cool.

Tracey Lee
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I guess it comes down to taste and personal opinion. I personally hate modern Canon lenses both the image and how they function. Even when I owned the 7D I used manual Nikon lenses. I stick to old Canon FD lenses or Nikon manual lenses. Would go with Zeiss if I could afford them.

HDkilledFILM.
07-09-2010, 10:30 AM
The thing that no one talks about with the difference between these cameras and the thing that makes or breaks the deal for me is the 7D does 1080 out via hdmi vs the GH1(3) doesn't allow for any monitoring during recording. I own a 550d and a GH1(3) and I'm thinking of selling the 550d to get a 7D strictly for this feature... Both cameras produce SICK images if you know how to use them. For me it's knowing their faults and strengths (as has been pointed out even in this thread) and using both accordingly.

MattinSTL
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
The thing that no one talks about with the difference between these cameras and the thing that makes or breaks the deal for me is the 7D does 1080 out via hdmi vs the GH1(3) doesn't allow for any monitoring during recording.

Everyone talks about this... this is THE deal-breaker for everybody who decides to go 7D in light of the GH13 developments.

I would know... I had a spanking new 7D w/ L-glass on my floor as I pondered this issue for a week.

The question is best answered by the ENVIRONMENT you work in... if you're one-man banding it... then the monitoring won't be as important... if you're going to be on a set with guys standing around a monitor giving you instructions, then it's crucial.

William_Robinette
07-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Really the 8fps raw still shooting should not be overlooked for this price if you are at all in tested in still photography.

HDkilledFILM.
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree that most in the know are talking about the monitor situation but I keep seeing things on IQ and nothing on features like the HD monitoring and 8fps 18mp stills... I'm not saying that people like yourself who already owned the 7D and made the switch wouldn't have known the advantages, rather people who are owners of neither and looking at getting one or the other seem IMHO to focus solely on IQ rather than features.

themagickite
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Really the 8fps raw still shooting should not be overlooked for this price if you are at all in tested in still photography.

i'd be more interested if it was 25fps raw still shooting ;)

Nityananda_SCSMath
08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Everyone talks about this... this is THE deal-breaker for everybody who decides to go 7D in light of the GH13 developments.

I would know... I had a spanking new 7D w/ L-glass on my floor as I pondered this issue for a week.

The question is best answered by the ENVIRONMENT you work in... if you're one-man banding it... then the monitoring won't be as important... if you're going to be on a set with guys standing around a monitor giving you instructions, then it's crucial.

I just bought a GH1 to use along with my hmc150, which has a DP1x on top of it.

I have found that for moving around and shooting among a crowd using the GH1 with no monitor on top of it is very challenging to get focus. I am thinking of returning the GH1 and selling the HMC150 and buying 2 Canon 7D's with Marshall monitors on them.

You say if you are one-man banding it monitoring won't be as important. Do you think that still applies if you are shooting something where you and the subject are both moving around in an uncontrolled environment? Like, filming a dancer in a crowd while you are walking around in the crowd.

I wish the GH1 had a 720or1080 output, then it would be an easy decision.

Think I can just get used to using a GH1...?

-Mr. AF100-can't-come-soon-enough

vcassel
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, jib/crane shots are almost out of the question with the GH1 :(

Ian-T
08-02-2010, 08:17 AM
I just care about the final image....that's what matters most. That's why I went from 7D to GH1(3). My thought is one can work around the ergonomics of a camera....but not the image.

HDkilledFILM.
08-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I just care about the final image....that's what matters most. That's why I went from 7D to GH1(3). My thought is one can work around the ergonomics of a camera....but not the image.

I agree with this 200%, that is why I have both the t2i and the gh1(3). Every piece of gear has it's limits, know them and work with them. I sold my tokina 11-16mm canon mount lens after doing extensive testing with it in the field and came to the conclusion that the lens would produce moire in most situations with the t2i and so it was not a piece of gear I would use on a regular basis. With the money I got from it I bought a gh1 body and never looked back, now I use my gh1 for wide shooting and my t2i for close work. I feel like my shooting style close up requires a monitor as I use allot of fast glass wide open and focus can be hard if I don't have one. Just keep in mind that these cameras will easily pay for themselves in one gig and you can always resell them and recoup the cost pretty easily. The 7d might be a bit more expensive but if your thinking of getting a nice monitor anyway the hd out is worth it (just IMO) over the t2i's sd out and the gh1(3)'s better handling of moire and aliasing in wide shots make it a must have for me. I know it seems silly at first to advise people to buy both but having shot with the two cameras in this manner allot recently I know I'm more than satisfied with this set up and feel like I'm able to do all the things I require from my rig, just my 2 cents.

:thumbsup:

Homunculus
08-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, jib/crane shots are almost out of the question with the GH1 :(
why's that? focus is rarely pulled on a jib shot because a jib shot almost by definition is with wide lens with very deep DoF, you don't really need to pull focus on one and for those that really love the gh1 there ARE solutions out there for example the Zigview that some people have mentioned. supposedly isn't made specifically for gh1 view finders but i'm sure it can be jerry rigged onto it if one tries hard enough and thus voila hdmi video out solved

Ooze3d
08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
It always depends, I guess...

Both cameras deliver amazing and very filmlike images quite easily. Before the hack, the 7D didn't have the codec problems, so it was clearly better. Now the GH1 has a better codec, full manual controls and the famous Panasonic cinelook, so it may be a better option if you're shooting mostly video and of course with that cinematic look in mind.

But anyway, as a 7D user, I have to say I LOVE shooting with it. For me it's the closest I've ever been to 35mm cinema "simulation" in digital. Of course I haven't tried the GH1 yet.

In the end it's just up to you. I supose I wouldn't mind having a GH1 either, but I can say my 7D is way more than I expected and it's able to do everything I need and more.

Justyn
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Does the rumored GH2 have a proposed Video out option? I think that's certainly something that I want. I am interested in the AF100 but if it's closer to 10k than 6k I"m not as interested as I have to buy two of them. Regardless of what I'm shooting, I'll be rolling 2 cameras atleast the entire time and running split system sound... and with pluraleyes, I'm not so concerned with TC or synch or clappers or any of that.

Nityananda_SCSMath
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
The 7d might be a bit more expensive but if your thinking of getting a nice monitor anyway the hd out is worth it (just IMO) over the t2i's sd out and the gh1(3)'s better handling of moire and aliasing in wide shots make it a must have for me. I know it seems silly at first to advise people to buy both but having shot with the two cameras in this manner allot recently I know I'm more than satisfied with this set up and feel like I'm able to do all the things I require from my rig, just my 2 cents.
:thumbsup:

Do you think the footage will match OK considering the big differences in color/DoF/codec? Or do you just use them for different shots where you won't be mixing multiple camera angles?

why's that? focus is rarely pulled on a jib shot because a jib shot almost by definition is with wide lens with very deep DoF, you don't really need to pull focus on one and for those that really love the gh1 there ARE solutions out there for example the Zigview that some people have mentioned. supposedly isn't made specifically for gh1 view finders but i'm sure it can be jerry rigged onto it if one tries hard enough and thus voila hdmi video out solved

If you can use the Zigview with the GH1 then I will definitely do that. I thought somebody emailed them and was told it was impossible???

Ian-T
08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Do you think the footage will match OK considering the big differences in color/DoF/codec? Or do you just use them for different shots where you won't be mixing multiple camera angles? Coming from the 7D myself I think the Nostalgic mode in the GH-1 would match up fine with the T2i/550D. The codec in both are probably now on equal terms. And as far as the DOFÖ..there is no difference. The difference (which is not that big) is FOV. You can solve that by just backing up a step or two with the GH-1 (using same lens/F-Stop). I donít see why you can not use them in the same scenesÖ.but the GH-1 is definitely more detailed in its PQ. Though Iíve owned both I have not had the opportunity to use them side by side so thatís a hard one to answer. But from some old video Iíve shot with the7D compared to the GH1(3) it seems that they can definitely be used in the same body of work (IMO).